Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Why did the Covenant attack Stonefalls ?

• Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riejael wrote: »
    Why not? AD and EP randomly appear in places in DC zones as well so seems to be the strategy of the time to conduct raids all over.

I've not personally seen Pact forces in the AD/DC zones But I've seen AD in DC and DC in AD zones. It seems like everyone is picking on each other except for the EP. But maybe I just missed them?

Yep EP is in DC and AD zones although I seem to remember them more in delves. DC seemed to have more of an Imperial forces invasion issue in Bangkorai
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, and AD have some Imperials in Reaper's March too. I guess EP is least of problems AD and DC have.
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riejael wrote: »
    Why not? AD and EP randomly appear in places in DC zones as well so seems to be the strategy of the time to conduct raids all over.

I've not personally seen Pact forces in the AD/DC zones But I've seen AD in DC and DC in AD zones. It seems like everyone is picking on each other except for the EP. But maybe I just missed them?

EP are just cowards as drunktards and mostly slaves and alliance created only by fear to other their enemies who created alliances, EP as 3 races which hate together is just a weak alliance and unstable, if not fear to their unified enemies then they will still rekt together >:) but fear and cowardice forced them to make alliance to just self-defend, not attack other stronger alliances

en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Ebonheart_Pact
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    What part does actually make you cringe? Is it my off-handed mention of erp for cheap lolz? The actual question? The answers of people who are more curious about the lore and technicalities of war than I am?

Or did you just confuse threads?

You might want to read that post of mine again, bruh :)
    Edited by madeeh91rwb17_ESO on January 23, 2017 12:35PM
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eastmarch is more fortified, and suffers from far more severe winters. An assault there would require taking Windhelm as soon as they landed, rather than targeting a relatively minor settlement like Davon's Watch or Bal Foyen
    Another supporting theory could be that Emeric knew the Dunmers, as experienced mages, could try to resurrect Balreth and Sadal and he may have thought it would be wiser trying to take down Stonefalls first and, maybe, prevent this to happen.

It would be a long and risky shot, but far less dangerous (military speaking) than suffer losses for the unfightable harsh weather of Eastmarch and region a-like.
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still working on a theory that this somehow involves Alduin.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attacking Eastmarch wouldn't be very practical. It has hardly any coastline for a naval assault, and the coastline it does have is guarded by Windhelm.
    400px-ON-map-Eastmarch.jpg

If you then proceed down the Inner Sea, there's the potential to land on the Velothi coast, but there's not much strategic advantage to that since the Velothi coast is pretty isolated from the rest of Morrowind. You then end up at Stonefalls. Stonefalls has an extensive coastline with numerous landing opportunities, and has three strategic objectives; Fort Virak, guarding the pass to Skyrim, which would sever the northern supply route if captured; Davon's Watch, a major trading port; and Ebonheart, the regional capital.
    400px-ON-map-Stonefalls.jpg

Practically and strategically therefore, it makes a lot more sense to invade Stonefalls. The real question is, why did they bother invading Bal Foyen?
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Attacking Eastmarch wouldn't be very practical. It has hardly any coastline for a naval assault, and the coastline it does have is guarded by Windhelm.

If you then proceed down the Inner Sea, there's the potential to land on the Velothi coast, but there's not much strategic advantage to that since the Velothi coast is pretty isolated from the rest of Morrowind. You then end up at Stonefalls. Stonefalls has an extensive coastline with numerous landing opportunities, and has three strategic objectives; Fort Virak, guarding the pass to Skyrim, which would sever the northern supply route if captured; Davon's Watch, a major trading port; and Ebonheart, the regional capital.

Practically and strategically therefore, it makes a lot more sense to invade Stonefalls. The real question is, why did they bother invading Bal Foyen?

Well, they attacked entire coastline. And if you remember from talking with Dunmer soldiers in Bal Foyen, what was once one of the major places for transporting slaves became one of biggest centers to bring former slaves into the EP army. An Army needs resources, so DC also tried to burn/destroy them. Better question would be why on Nirn would DC bother with tiny island such as Bleakrock.

• Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Better question would be why on Nirn would DC bother with tiny island such as Bleakrock.

hmm, maybe just because this was on way, easily to take, good point for base on the way also :p
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is, why did they bother invading Bal Foyen?

To sever the early warning network heading east out of the playable area.
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord live in the Eastmarch, it should be obvious wwhy attack fancy elves and other milkdrinkers rather than face real warriors?

Also, you get a nice needle type attack from stonefalls. You can spread your forces from there, the maintenance of forces requires less than it would in harsh enviroment of Skyrim. The landscape in Skyrim is such that mountains would hinder the progression of forces from east and west. When coming from Cyrodil and Stonefalls, Covenant can easily separate Skyrim and Shadow fen, cutting the support lines from both in the midle and therefore also hindering the support of forces in Cyrodil.

The only way to Skyrim what i can see is from North which is very cold and hars or the river that goes to Windhelm, as far as i can assume, the whole east coast of Skytrim is pretty much surrounded by difficult moutainranges and therefore would not be an easy way to get large force in that way.

While Nirn is round like any planet, i doubt they sailed west from Covenant lands, it has been hinted by some, that there is more landmass at the other side of Nirn that we dont know much of anything about, dont ask where, it might be just false information or speculation but still, it would be more logical to folloiw the coast and take a safer route with possibility to go shore if reqyuired rather than face open seas on the west.
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so. We were ERPing with a friend in Stonefalls since TF was laggy, and suddenly a question popped up : Why did the Covenant forces go all the way to Stonefalls when it would've been much easier to attack Eastmarch instead
    One possible explenation is that the covenant already had a play against skyrim through their alliance with Jorunn's brother... wouldn't make sense for them to expand troops in attacking the nords when they might yet grab all of them as allies through political maneuvring, right? In that light the attack on stonefalls makes a lot more sense - get the dunmer busy so they can't go and aid Jorunn when Fildgor makes his play for the throne...
    My theory however, is that the DC forces followed the green trail, but that theory supposes that the TES world is round and has nothing in between Glenumbra and EP territories (Just picture Alaska - Russia distance). However, I am very unsure about that...
    ...and rightfully so. There is at least two big places in between on the nirn globe - sunken yokuda to the west, and mysterious akavir to the east (a continent larget then tamriel). As well as lots opf ocean, and several isles.

You know...
    Tempah wrote: »
    2ex96y1.png
    There is more then just tamriel on nirn :)
    so the green trail will be longer then you think. Also I don't think the AD would just watch DC ships pass through
    ...like this! ;)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, they attacked entire coastline. And if you remember from talking with Dunmer soldiers in Bal Foyen, what was once one of the major places for transporting slaves became one of biggest centers to bring former slaves into the EP army. An Army needs resources, so DC also tried to burn/destroy them. Better question would be why on Nirn would DC bother with tiny island such as Bleakrock.
    Ah, good catch! I'd forgotten the importance of Bal Foyen in recruitment. I think the importance of Bleakrock is the generic "powerful relics will help our cause" angle. Why are they still there though? The invasion failed, the Oblivion portal closed, the necromancer killed. They should just leave now so Bleakrock can go back to being a safe place.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are multiple reasons but the most likely is because DC is stupid.

They have a Civil War in Rivenspire against Vampires, Imperial and Reachman Invaders in Bangkorai, Undead Werewolves in Glenumbra with Necromancers there and in the Alik'r, and a Daedric Cult trying to kill their king yet they see the need to invade EP.

LOGIC!!!!
    Argonian forever
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because roleplaying was happening in Stonefalls
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, we don't see most of Skyrim. Perhaps their attempts to trudge all the way across Nord land to the heart of the Pact was unsuccessful, so they took another route there.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do my DC characters get attacked by EP NPCs while in Cyradiil, yet when I go to Stonefalls the EP NPCs give me quests and ask for help dealing with the DC invasion, while the DC NPCs attack me?
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They have a Civil War in Rivenspire against Vampires, Imperial and Reachman Invaders in Bangkorai, Undead Werewolves in Glenumbra with Necromancers there and in the Alik'r, and a Daedric Cult trying to kill their king yet they see the need to invade EP.

LOGIC!!!!
    The Covenant army wouldn't involve themselves muc in internal affairs. That's what the Lion Guard is for.
  • EnemyOfDaState
    EnemyOfDaState
    ✭✭✭✭

LOGIC!!!!

You can do things like that when your army isn't lead by a child or filled with races who banded together because nobody else liked them.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOGIC!!!!
    You can do things like that when your army isn't lead by a child or filled with races who banded together because nobody else liked them.
    Ayrenn was supposed to be 127 to start with, which was considered "young". I wonder why they decided to change that to 27?
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

LOGIC!!!!

And how is DC better in that regard?
    Last I checked, Orsinium has be sacked by Redguards and Bretons countless times. Speaking of Orsinium, if King Kurog had his way and became the King of the Orcs in Wrothgar, how long do you think it would have taken him to decide to overthrow Emeric in some vain attempt at power or even some half-a$$ revenge for Old Orsinium's destruction? We know Kurog isn't above killing his own just to secure more power for himself so, realistically, how long would it have been before the rest of DC just said F it and burned Orsinium to the ground again? If we're talking about races that hate each other, Orcs aren't exactly the most likeable bunch of people in the eyes of Redguards or Bretons so this argument is FLAWED.

The same things goes for the Khajiit and Bosmer before any AD players decides to throw their lot in.
    Argonian forever
  • MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also in elderscrolls lore ( don't know if it is before or after eso) akaviri launched an invasion to Vvardenfell. Vivec saved the dunmers by teaching them how to breath under water and submerged whole island. It seemed rather disturbing at that time that they didn't invade Daggerfall which is closer to Akavir. But the invasion pattern is similar to this one.

And who knows maybe DC wants to go to Deeshan to farm Mother's Sorrow set.

Dagerfall isn't closer to akavir, it's like as far away as you can get in Tamriel. Akavir is to the east of Tamriel.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grand Warlord Sorcalin objects to being called a child. :p
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I believe they knew about the "brothers of strife".

err spoilers incoming.

Alexandria Cornell, went to Vivecs Anter's for the coral heart to awaken the Brother of strife. I am certain they didn't think the Dumner would be.. err dumb.. enough to use them themselves.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »

err spoilers incoming.

Alexandria Cornell, went to Vivecs Anter's for the coral heart to awaken the Brother of strife. I am certain they didn't think the Dumner would be.. err dumb.. enough to use them themselves.

But if that was the case, wouldn't they have an infiltration team set up near Ash Mountain and the Tormented Spire? Or at least have a miltary presence in Kragenmoor?

Granted, I always felt like the final quest trecking in the Tormented Spire was "tacked on", just an excuse to add a new villain. I personally would have like it to be more of an extension to the Fort Virak battle. But as it is, it just feels disjointed from the narrative imho
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so. We were ERPing with a friend in Stonefalls since TF was laggy, and suddenly a question popped up : Why did the Covenant forces go all the way to Stonefalls when it would've been much easier to attack Eastmarch instead? Look at the map below for an illustration.
    Screenshot_20170123_064101.png

So there's Tamriel, and the red star indicates Stonefalls. Now, the logical way for the DC forces to proceed has been outlined in red (via Skyrim and the sea of ghosts, or w/e its name is). Thing is, Bleakrock Isle is way up North and closer to Eastmarch than anything else. So why bother going all the way to Stonefalls instead of disembarking and raiding, violently subduing women, and pillaging that part of Skyrim?

My theory however, is that the DC forces followed the green trail, but that theory supposes that the TES world is round and has nothing in between Glenumbra and EP territories (Just picture Alaska - Russia distance). However, I am very unsure about that, given that there's Atmora (well, the Akaviri continent) as well as the Maormer one (Pyandonea) floating around somewhere. So for all I know, there might be other continents floating about, or it might be a Here There Be Dragons issue with uncharted waters.

Any input, folks ?

why its simple dearie, the grandmistress of the telvanni house of dark elves advised them where the the pact's headquarters and core leadership was located.

signed
    telvanni grandmistress.
    location stormhaven
    in care of lion guard.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

err spoilers incoming.

But if that was the case, wouldn't they have an infiltration team set up near Ash Mountain and the Tormented Spire? Or at least have a miltary presence in Kragenmoor?

Granted, I always felt like the final quest trecking in the Tormented Spire was "tacked on", just an excuse to add a new villain. I personally would have like it to be more of an extension to the Fort Virak battle. But as it is, it just feels disjointed from the narrative imho

Well, tbh, DC have military presence near Kragenmoor. There is a quest to stop them by closing a portal inside one delve near Kragenmoor.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

err spoilers incoming.

Well, tbh, DC have military presence near Kragenmoor. There is a quest to stop them by closing a portal inside one delve near Kragenmoor.

Fort Arand?

If I recall, they were part of Alexandra Conele's forces and were sent to assassinate the leaders of Fort Arand in preparation for the assault on Ebonheart.

Edit: Doh! You meant Softloam Cavern. My mistake.
    Edited by Cadbury on January 24, 2017 9:16AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraKin wrote: »
    Okay, so. We were ERPing with a friend in Stonefalls since TF was laggy, and suddenly a question popped up : Why did the Covenant forces go all the way to Stonefalls when it would've been much easier to attack Eastmarch instead? Look at the map below for an illustration.
    Screenshot_20170123_064101.png

So there's Tamriel, and the red star indicates Stonefalls. Now, the logical way for the DC forces to proceed has been outlined in red (via Skyrim and the sea of ghosts, or w/e its name is). Thing is, Bleakrock Isle is way up North and closer to Eastmarch than anything else. So why bother going all the way to Stonefalls instead of disembarking and raiding, violently subduing women, and pillaging that part of Skyrim?

My theory however, is that the DC forces followed the green trail, but that theory supposes that the TES world is round and has nothing in between Glenumbra and EP territories (Just picture Alaska - Russia distance). However, I am very unsure about that, given that there's Atmora (well, the Akaviri continent) as well as the Maormer one (Pyandonea) floating around somewhere. So for all I know, there might be other continents floating about, or it might be a Here There Be Dragons issue with uncharted waters.

Any input, folks ?
    why its simple dearie, the grandmistress of the telvanni house of dark elves advised them where the the pact's headquarters and core leadership was located.

signed
    telvanni grandmistress.
    location stormhaven
    in care of lion guard.
    And what, she's incapable, or manipulative? Pact Headquarters and core leadership are in Windhelm and Mournhold, not in any Stonefalls city.