Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Just for fun - how did your character learn to read?

Druachan
Druachan
✭✭✭
So in the game you can read and presumably write. There are no schools though. So how come your character can read and write?
Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of sweat and squinting with a sprinkle of Majik

691aba1a28f431ac236ff28b8441bb2f.jpg
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Breton character isn't very good at reading, but he manages to write 'to an acceptable standard'... although you wouldn't think so given the plethora of scribbled, barely decipherable notes on making potions and incomplete tests on the properties of runes stuffed in his pockets.

As for the others... I haven't thought that part through yet.
    Edited by menedhyn on January 24, 2017 8:13AM
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main and her sister came from a well-off family, so their parents had the money to get their children to learn to read, write, and do math.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the Mages Guild. It's where all the books are.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    I could imagine that parents employing a tutor is one route. Possibly in the town or village you grew up in there is someone who could teach some of the children to read. Maybe an elder. How about a new skill line like comprehension?
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes you wonder about the general population in Elder Scrolls games. Given how common books and random notes are, it seems like most of Tamriel is fairly literate, but even the game of Daggerfall, which had infamously large cities, didn't have any schools iirc.

Nor children, come to think of it.

Hm.

New theory: In the Elder Scrolls universe, everyone is dropped on Nirn as a grown adult, skills like writing and trade skills intact. The children in Skyrim were clearly just Sheogorath playing a prank. ;)

But in actual answer to the question... I've never really thought about it. Many of my characters came from upper class homes (and one was a ward of the Mages Guild) so would have had access to such education. I assume there is some sort of group schooling in small communities, even if it's just gathering all the village kids together for an hour a day between chores to teach them to read and count... so that would explain a few others. But then, I get to my ex-slave and my bandit, and I draw a blank. It's an interesting backstory question to noodle over, I think. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Makes you wonder about the general population in Elder Scrolls games. Given how common books and random notes are, it seems like most of Tamriel is fairly literate, but even the game of Daggerfall, which had infamously large cities, didn't have any schools iirc.

Nor children, come to think of it.

Hm.

New theory: In the Elder Scrolls universe, everyone is dropped on Nirn as a grown adult, skills like writing and trade skills intact. The children in Skyrim were clearly just Sheogorath playing a prank. ;)

But in actual answer to the question... I've never really thought about it. Many of my characters came from upper class homes (and one was a ward of the Mages Guild) so would have had access to such education. I assume there is some sort of group schooling in small communities, even if it's just gathering all the village kids together for an hour a day between chores to teach them to read and count... so that would explain a few others. But then, I get to my ex-slave and my bandit, and I draw a blank. It's an interesting backstory question to noodle over, I think. :)

Yeah the kids in skyrim were a bit annoying, that's putting it mildly.
  • Spr0utling
    Spr0utling
    ✭✭
    .... what's a book?
    I like lamp.
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    She's of nobility and was home-schooled before she ran away.
    "It must be nice to fight for something you feel so strongly about. Too often I don't have that luxury."- Ahrilux
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
    Lady Ahrilux | Nord | Dragonknight | STAM Tank in Training
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer are born literate.
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    Altmer are born literate.

And modest

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Breton was shipped off to a boarding school for the magically gifted.

My bosmer was a Vinedusk Ranger.

Both positions NEED to read, and would likely be taught even if we assume parents don't teach their children in the universe.
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    .... what's a book?

Its something you throw on the fire to keep yourself warm ;)
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Druachan wrote: »
    .... what's a book?

Its something you throw on the fire to keep yourself warm ;)
    Blasphemy!
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Stickbow
    Stickbow
    ✭✭✭
    My Bosmer can read and write -- and read a map very well, thank you -- because he was sent to a heinous Altmer school as a young child, before he ran away to the sea, ultimately to begin his life of crime. That is how he forges the writs that excuse him from crime when he can't manage to slip out of the guards' grasp. Amazing that poor writing passes for someone of authority's signature, isn't it. Maybe he should become a physician...

My Altmer could probably read before he could walk, as both his parents are mages. However, the burns he got in his early years in the Mages' guild make writing difficult. You should not play with fire spells in an acolytes's tiny chamber after hours... That incident is why the Guild sent him off to study in the Breton lands.

My Redguard was taught the fine arts - swordplay, poetry, and art - at an early age; his father was a "merchant" (maybe reputable smuggler is a better word) of some renown who had him tutored by a failed Altmer mage when they lived in Auridon. That is why he began his explorations in Auridon and Khenarthi's Roost, just after his father gave him his first sword and armor.

My Breton templar was the black-haired third son of a relatively comfortable farm owner, and learned to read,and write in the Imperial temple. Of course, as a Breton, he was not part of the inner circle of children of the Imperial nobility, so spent most of his time copying all these books we find now lying around in the wilds. The ones you can barely read are likely his poor penmanship. He did make some edits to one of the Argonian Maid tales once though...The section with Crantius Colto used a different name originally - he replaced it with the name of one of his less friendly instructors.

My Dunmer sword-sorceress is a Dunmer of House Andarys. One does not ask a Dunmer of ANY house if they can read or write. That is like asking them if they were born under a Hist-tree. Her Argonian nurse did teach her how to make the potions and poisons she makes though.

I'm not sure if the younger members of my group can read. They live in the banks, for the most part, so I assume they can at least read a little and do their figures.
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    Khajiit cannot read but this one does enjoy the smell of books and the looks of the certain runes found with in.

This one was too busy caring for his war-weary battle disabled mother and taking care of the house after this ones skooma dealer father took off to "make our lives shine brighter than Full Moons", and subsequently murdered by Maomer in a supply smuggling deal gone wrong.
    Edited by NocturnalGuideMe on February 5, 2017 9:36PM
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
    Khajiiti Stamina Nightblade
    Master Thief, Dark Brotherhood Executioner, Former Dro m'Athra Shade
  • LuminaLilly
    LuminaLilly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda astounds me how American English is the dominant language in tamriel.

Molly learned to read using preschool alphabet books her parents summoned from another universe. Calling them something "beyond aetherial" , stating "Scholastic" is the deity of language.

Just kidding. Lore wise, she read through her education in the arcane arts.
    Edited by LuminaLilly on February 5, 2017 10:23PM
  • kenneth.friisb16_ESO
    Dastan wanted to be able to read his own arrest warrants so he talked a young noblewoman into to teaching him to read, among other things :wink:
    Edited by kenneth.friisb16_ESO on February 14, 2017 8:25AM
    PC-EU
    Dastan Kingfrey - Gentleman Thief, Adventurer and Philanthropist
    Kenneth Kingfrey - Spellsword, member of the Mages Guild
    Thurin Hammerhand - Northern Warden, Traveller and NOT a dwarf
    Kenneth Willysson - Wanderer, Mountaineer and Swinger of Axes

PS4-EU
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sacrificed dunmer babies to herma mora
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • RECON96
    RECON96
    My main character, Desmond, grew up in the streets of Riften. During his childhood, he once encountered a group of traders reacting strangely to a book. Being the ruffian that he is, he stole the book and asked his father, a retired Breton knight, to teach him how to read, withholding the fact that he stole something as to avoid his father's wrath, all to satisfy his curiosity regarding the book he stole. His father was amazed at his son's interest in literacy and taught him to read, starting with old messages leading to manuals of combat. After days of persistent practice, he learned how to read with everyone amazed on how fast he did so. Finally being able to read, Desmond was finally able to satisfy his curiosity and read the book. It didn't take long for him to realize the cause of the strange looks the traders had on their faces while reading it. What was the book, you ask? A very rare special edition of the Lusty Argonian Maid with illustrations.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffy the Bosmer was actually born in Bravil late in the 3rd Era and attended the Arcane University in the Imperial City. That was before she learned time travel and hopped to the 4th Era. Which was before she time-leaped again; this time back to the 2nd Era.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • JohnTarmel20
    JohnTarmel20
    Soul Shriven
    My Dunmer is of one of the most recognised houses of all of Morrowind, so he grew up in luxury and nobility. So reading and writing was a mandatory process if he wanted to be the next head of the house. He also had some of the best dunmer swordsmen and mages teach him how to fight which is why he is as capable as he is.
    Edited by JohnTarmel20 on February 28, 2017 4:26PM
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rickter received an imperial standard education.
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Magic_Longsword
    My main character learned to read herself, while loitering about the Hallin's Stand Mages Guild day after day, although mages and the occasional bored apprentice swayed by her childish cuteness helped her out.

I actually have a story about that. Feel free to give it a glance. Or don't. Whatever floats your boat.
  • ArrerBoy
    ArrerBoy
    ✭✭✭
    As an Imperial born to a proud Nibenese line, he not only knows how to read and write, but is well versed in Akaviri script, even though the only copy his family has is a translated copy of the Lusty Argonian Maid.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ma & Pa. Well, mostly Ma. Pa just wanted to play swords with us all the time.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • DorianDragonRaze
    DorianDragonRaze
    ✭✭✭✭
    What we always love to do to solve problems: performed a little harmless daedric ritual, and whoosh! I can read!!
    Edited by DorianDragonRaze on March 3, 2017 6:23PM
    I used to be an adventurer like you, then I got the ESO on my hard drive...
  • SunnyBunny
    SunnyBunny
    ✭✭✭
    Both my Imperial babies had the standard education, Wood elf traded resources to learn how to read, Ra Gada learned from a very religious aunt and uncle.
    My Orc well she can read and write - because she figured it was a skill she would need to be a better future Forge Wife.
    Lone Wolf Help ~ Royal Bank of Tamriel ~ Black Market Wares

I Know I'm Lost

*Ernestina - Imperial Temp
    *Ennus - Bosmer Sorc
    *Greavy - Orc DK
    *Somniate - Ra Gada NB
    *Cilano - Imperial DK
    *Ba'Raka - Khajiit Warden
    *Bird In Hand - Argonian Templar
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marcus was taught reading as well as other skills by his private tutor Stars-in-Eyes at his father's villa just north of Anvil.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • thrillho5000
    thrillho5000
    ✭✭
    Oh! I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, actually.

Thavrin's papa taught him his ABCs when he was fairly young, and some basic reading skills. After the Tragic Backstory happened and he was left to raise himself and his sister, they'd sit in for sermons at the temples sometimes and he'd read along in the homily books. Later on he'd "liberate" a book here and there, bookmark pages with words he didn't know how to read, and he'd either ask an older outlaw about it or cross-reference it in another book, and learn the meaning through context. There was a lot of trial and error, and he worried at first about sounding stupid, but eventually he got the hang of things.
    Main: Thavrin of Ill Omen
    Class: screwup Dual-Wield Stamblade DPS/Tank hybrid, aka "The Near-Death Experience"