The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Writ Reward Question

Oreyn_Bearclaw
Oreyn_Bearclaw
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So I have been doing writs on anywhere from 4-8 toons pretty much since inception. As a general rule, I have always done the highest level writ. The problem is that this is simply not sustainable without a lot of farming or simply purchasing bulk mats, mostly Rubedite and Silk (occasionally a few others). Now that we have a surplus of lower level mats from the writ containers, I am curious if there is really any advantage to doing only high level writs.

Question: Has anyone done any testing to confirm whether Gold Mat and Survey Drop rates are impacted by the level of the writ you do? Would it make more sense to spread your crafters out at different levels, even if they are all level 50?

I think for Provisioning, Enchanting and Alchemy, I would just leave them at high level because they are self sustaining, but with Ore and Silk, I am burning through about 400 a day of each.

Anyone insight would be appreciated.
  • summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    So I have been doing writs on anywhere from 4-8 toons pretty much since inception. As a general rule, I have always done the highest level writ. The problem is that this is simply not sustainable without a lot of farming or simply purchasing bulk mats, mostly Rubedite and Silk (occasionally a few others). Now that we have a surplus of lower level mats from the writ containers, I am curious if there is really any advantage to doing only high level writs.

Question: Has anyone done any testing to confirm whether Gold Mat and Survey Drop rates are impacted by the level of the writ you do? Would it make more sense to spread your crafters out at different levels, even if they are all level 50?

I think for Provisioning, Enchanting and Alchemy, I would just leave them at high level because they are self sustaining, but with Ore and Silk, I am burning through about 400 a day of each.

I have been keeping track of writs for a couple months now doing them almost daily. I have 2 characters doing tier 1 writs, and one character doing max level writs. The max level character has gotten at least 5x the amount of gold tempers in that time (would have to check numbers when I get home). A couple months is a small sample size however, but it seems to point that way to me in my own experience.

My top tier materials have been slowly climbing even doing daily writs because of surveys, as when I get the surveys on my tier 1 crafting level characters, I hand them in with my high level character. My low level characters also seem to keep the low level materials in stock as well as usually in the writ reward the iron, maple, jute and rawhide and replenished through the materials I get back in the writ, if I brought them up into tier 2, then it would add another level of material to replenish. I am only doing the high level writs with one character however, if I was doing it with all 3, I think I would run out pretty quick.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    summitxho wrote: »

I have been keeping track of writs for a couple months now doing them almost daily. I have 2 characters doing tier 1 writs, and one character doing max level writs. The max level character has gotten at least 5x the amount of gold tempers in that time (would have to check numbers when I get home). A couple months is a small sample size however, but it seems to point that way to me in my own experience.

My top tier materials have been slowly climbing even doing daily writs because of surveys, as when I get the surveys on my tier 1 crafting level characters, I hand them in with my high level character. My low level characters also seem to keep the low level materials in stock as well as usually in the writ reward the iron, maple, jute and rawhide and replenished through the materials I get back in the writ, if I brought them up into tier 2, then it would add another level of material to replenish. I am only doing the high level writs with one character however, if I was doing it with all 3, I think I would run out pretty quick.

Thanks for the insight. That is as it should be, but I have heard people say it's the same. I think for the time being, I will just keep doing high level and and buy mats. Rubedite is not all that expensive, and the gold I get from the rewards is enough to cover it. We do these for gold mats afterall. Yesterday I got 17 gold mats on 8 toons, the day before it was 7. I am starting to keep track myself. It's RNG so of course, it's all over the place.

Also, might want to start hanging onto surveys for next patch. They have confirmed that hoarding the containers wont work, but I believe that Surveys you already have will have the potential to drop some of the new furniture mats. I think I am up to 60 enchanter surveys. haha. They have been garbage for so long that I just stopped grabbing them.

If anyone else has any data or insight about the different rewards based on writ level, I would love to hear about it.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran a test like two months ago - lvl 10 vs lvl 9 gold writ reward mats for smith, wood and cloth. Over a month I did the same number of surveys between levels 9 and 10. Level 10'writs rewarded 42 gold mats, 36 for level 9. Could be an rng effect, but it seems to indicate that higher levels reward better.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    I ran a test like two months ago - lvl 10 vs lvl 9 gold writ reward mats for smith, wood and cloth. Over a month I did the same number of surveys between levels 9 and 10. Level 10'writs rewarded 42 gold mats, 36 for level 9. Could be an rng effect, but it seems to indicate that higher levels reward better.

@davey1107

Appreciate the feedback. I have been plugging away doing max writs on 8 toons. It takes a lot of rubedite, but i think it is the way to go.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been doing both extremes of the Writs. I have 5 characters who do L1 Eq Writs and 4 characters who do L10 Eq Writs. Based on my results:

Higher end writs give up gold Tempers with a decent rate, lower end writs hardly give them.

Surveys come from both levels of writs with about the same frequency. However you can farm the Surveys on your characters that are skilled up in Materials and get top end mats. Then, use the Shipments the L1 characters get to keep them stocked.

On an unrelated note, I have been ignoring my hirelings been quite thin with the Gold Mats, although I recently got a mail that had 4 Druegh Wax in it, that was a treat. But, Gold Temper return on the Hirelings basically sucks.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I have been doing both extremes of the Writs. I have 5 characters who do L1 Eq Writs and 4 characters who do L10 Eq Writs. Based on my results:

Higher end writs give up gold Tempers with a decent rate, lower end writs hardly give them.

Surveys come from both levels of writs with about the same frequency. However you can farm the Surveys on your characters that are skilled up in Materials and get top end mats. Then, use the Shipments the L1 characters get to keep them stocked.

On an unrelated note, I have been ignoring my hirelings been quite thin with the Gold Mats, although I recently got a mail that had 4 Druegh Wax in it, that was a treat. But, Gold Temper return on the Hirelings basically sucks.

Yeah, they gave hirelings the nerf hammer a while ago. I still have them because its a modest supply of other mats (sitting on like 3-4k of most purple mats), but the gold ones are few and far between. Havent seen 4 wax in a really long time. I occasionally get 2 wax or 1 of the others. Not something I rely on. Really is a shame that for 3 skill points they are almost not worth having.

#buffhirelings
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 20, 2017 11:18PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A great place to farm is the pledges. Do both non DLC pledges on normal and deconstruction the green or better lewt. Intricate now gives 3 refined material per item deconned, as well. The rest you can research or sell for pretty sizeable profit.

I've been over 1500 on all ruby tier mats for a month of doing 3 writs a day at max tier. I'm starting on my fourth (hopefully!) tomorrow.
  • ninti
    ninti
    ✭✭

Yes, I have many months of recorded data about level 9 and 10 drop rates. For gold tempers, the level 10 drop rate is 33%, and level 9 drop rates are 25%. Survey rates are about half that in each case. There once was a time when level 9 writs were a better deal, but not anymore. And certainly not after the Master Writs show up.