The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do you feel about real/serious crafting? I'm curious.

Techkey1
Techkey1
✭✭
The reason I posted this is because I thought about the comment I posted below from another Discussion Subjected "Making zone drop gear craftable", and asked my self "what would other people think about seriously crafting?" So I decided to make a Discussion for it. So I copied the post from that discussion and put it here (with some editing of course).

Using the current crafting hubs/stations to add more "unique" sets to them (3 total), and by adding tiers for people who truly like crafting, would mean that one would have to definitely grind (of course) to get the needed material and also grind to get to that leveled tier of crafting to make said sets.

Imagine that you go to a crafting station and now there are two more (3 total) different crafting sets you can make, a tier 1, a tier 2, and a tier 3. Now tier 1 you can make if you have learned 5 traits, tier 2 you can make if you have 9 traits, and tier 3 you can make if you have learned 13 traits. Now of course all of these will scale accordingly however the higher the tier the more complex, advance, and the more materials you would need to complete the set and the more powerful that set will be.

Now add to that more traits we as players can learn, say 4 more (just as an example) bringing the total to 13, now you have to get the desired traits to learn them which takes 20 to 30 days of research (depending on what one has invested their skill points in) for each piece. Now some of these traits you should have to grind dungeons/world to get and some you should have to get as a random dolmen drop, some from special dailies, and last but not least the others from vets for the more elite stuff.

Now the last part to this would be to allow mixed materials to create other materials for crafting, making it that much more rewarding, think old school RPG' and mmo's, or minecraft (just not as complex) lol. More like using some bone dust + rubedite + steel to make 5 or 10 Coralites lol (I'm just saying what came to my mind lol but you get the gist). And you might need 50 Coralites to make 1 pair of boots.

Now keep in mind that this would allow for crafters to make lower level gear for others again via tier, so crafting lower level gear would would be back again do to tier rather than through mats of lower level. (Of course I wouldn't mind Zenimax making crafting mats farmable by zone again, which would not stop the benefit/s of 1T at all since everyone can go to any zone anyway do to scaling, but that's another story lol)

I think Zenimax/Bethesda would really benefit from such a system because it would help everyone and keep people busy. It would help the crafters feel great and needed again, it would help sustain balance for trade and pricing, it would help to satisfy the grinders, and it would also prolong the longevity of crafting in general. Learning all those sets would take a long time but it would satisfy and reward the hard work of the people/players that go though the journey of becoming ultimate in their crafting.

This would work and benefit all the types of crafting in the game, enchanting, provisioning, alchemy, crafting sets, and hopefully later jewel crafting with the added jewel of earrings and a weapon jewel which would be a set of five by it self.

Last but not least I am going to come back to this discussion (in a couple days) and post a simple picture and better type what I mean as an example for better clarity for some. And because I like it and just want to do it lol :blush:

But as far as the post goes now, what do you the ESO community think?
CP 477 | Dark Elf | Dragon Knight DPS | Ebonheart Pact | Solo Player | No alts

More of a solo player. Learning to be more guild social lol. LOVING THE MORROWIND EXPANSION!!!

ESO PC NA

Love is what I know.
Life is what I live.
Death I will never see.
Immortality awaits me.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Base crafting time for 9th trait without passives is 60 days now.

So by 13 traits would the pattern continue and it take 32 months - longer than the game has been out?

I would rather see the current level of equip crafting become worth its investment before we add more "higher end" crafting systems.

Know anyone who seriously runs tough end game content with cloudy potions, stale foods and white glyphs that come from drops as part of their setup?

Know anyone who seriously runs tough end game content without drop sets?

Yet rhe consumables cost the same in skill points but can be levelled in no time.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with @STEVIL, the time invested is already enough. What I would suggest is possibly making it some sort of quest for additional traits. This could possibly be implemented with the new master writs or have another npc hand out certain quest to gain the knowledge of a 5th trait to add to sets. Example would he complete x trial or dungeon to obtain a trait stone that would give you something like the 5th trait on trials or dungeon drop sets. Like the nirnhoned was is craglorn.

As far as material drops I liked the old way but that isn't coming back. Other have suggested making the artwork for the material be a selection, having all wood, ore, hide and cloth be the same, but have it be more like the style selection, so instead of selecting oak you would just select oak as a style. Of course with this would come the ability to craft all levels of gear from 1 material. Example you could craft a set of TBS make it look like Steel for lvl 45 in Barbaric motif.

There's a lot that needs to be done with crafting to bring it up to speed with the rest of the game. The new master writs look promising, with the exception of legendary upgrade mats. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it's adjusted when it goes live.
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about scalable bonuses on currently existing crafted sets, depending on the level and quality of the armor piece or weapon.

For example, a legendary quality lvl 160 hist bark set instead of just giving a 20% more evasion, it could have bonuses comparable to pledge dropped sets.

I think this way more people would be interested in crafting, some master blacksmiths, clothiers or woodworkers like me could feel that our time and skillpoints are not spent in vain, and even we could make a little profit by crafting and selling high leveled sets in the desired style for people focused on other skill lines.

I know we will have some advantages with furniture crafting, but they're just cosmetic items that have no effect on PvE and PvP.
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, I didn't spend 18 months of researching millions on motifs and cash on cs exclusive motifs to become Nebraska furniture mart
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stopnaggin wrote: »
    Agree, I didn't spend 18 months of researching millions on motifs and cash on cs exclusive motifs to become Nebraska furniture mart

hey dont forget your blacksmithing may let you make pies too iirc - or at least the pie plate i guess.

BTW... i agree wholeheartily.

I was not thrilled with equip crafting being mostly for convenience and cosmetics - so they added the whole funriture system!?!?!

I have no prob with housing and the new "master craft" based economy but... i really did not invest all that time for a new economy angle. The only thing easier to get than gold in this game is skeevers in Bangkorai brothels and once you get skeevers you can never get rid of them.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

hey dont forget your blacksmithing may let you make pies too iirc - or at least the pie plate i guess.

BTW... i agree wholeheartily.

I was not thrilled with equip crafting being mostly for convenience and cosmetics - so they added the whole funriture system!?!?!

I have no prob with housing and the new "master craft" based economy but... i really did not invest all that time for a new economy angle. The only thing easier to get than gold in this game is skeevers in Bangkorai brothels and once you get skeevers you can never get rid of them.

I don't mind the furniture crating but I would much prefer to be able to craft something more useful. To many examples in the master crafting patch notes to make it worth it imo. 54 nickel to make a pie, in what world does that make sense. That has to be one hell of an Imperial pie.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just based off the title of this thread because I suck and didn't read the post:
    I for one would love for crafting to be a serious point in this game. As it is right now it's not. All that time leveling/researching/farming for or wasting money on motifs to make a chair, instead of armor or weapons, because drop sets are usually better. I can count on one hand crafted sets that are only SOMETIMES better in certain situations.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not spending any time on researching and there is no serious commitment on my part. I press a button, it will tell me when it is done and that's it.

The only "serious" part about this is slight inventory management and making a list of what to keep to research later.

I find "hunting" the motifs a little bit more serious, so in that regard "hunting" traits might be an idea. Could be even worked into existing quest lines - fighters/mages guild - personally I would love to see that in a thieves story line for sure - but then there might be problems with DLC content etc.

In general I sort of feel there is lots coming in for crafting right now.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »
    I'm not spending any time on researching and there is no serious commitment on my part. I press a button, it will tell me when it is done and that's it.

The only "serious" part about this is slight inventory management and making a list of what to keep to research later.

I find "hunting" the motifs a little bit more serious, so in that regard "hunting" traits might be an idea. Could be even worked into existing quest lines - fighters/mages guild - personally I would love to see that in a thieves story line for sure - but then there might be problems with DLC content etc.

In general I sort of feel there is lots coming in for crafting right now.

I'd like to see lots coming for crafting but furniture was not the first thing I was hoping for. Being able to craft more gear to compare with endgame content would have been a priority if it were me. From what I have seen of the master writs they are a material sink. If you craft furniture as a business it will surely be expensive thus cutting into any profit.

Dint get me wrong I like that they have done something for crafters. But there is still work to be done to bring it in line with 1T.
  • Techkey1
    Techkey1
    ✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    Base crafting time for 9th trait without passives is 60 days now.

So by 13 traits would the pattern continue and it take 32 months - longer than the game has been out?

I would rather see the current level of equip crafting become worth its investment before we add more "higher end" crafting systems.

Know anyone who seriously runs tough end game content with cloudy potions, stale foods and white glyphs that come from drops as part of their setup?

Know anyone who seriously runs tough end game content without drop sets?

Yet rhe consumables cost the same in skill points but can be levelled in no time.

Thank you for the feed back, but the time was more of an example (I wasn't really trying to do the real time thing) but if it did take 20 days that's not unreasonable, in any case I was more concerned about the method of crafting not really the time because that can be reduced easily lol.

But I do agree with you in that I do not want it to take forever lol. Thank you again that helped me see more as to what some people were focusing on through out reading the whole thing. I should have put example for time or just said "if it were 20 days".
    Edited by Techkey1 on January 18, 2017 12:46AM

More of a solo player. Learning to be more guild social lol. LOVING THE MORROWIND EXPANSION!!!

ESO PC NA

Love is what I know.
    Life is what I live.
    Death I will never see.
    Immortality awaits me.
  • Techkey1
    Techkey1
    ✭✭
    I would have to agree with @STEVIL, the time invested is already enough. What I would suggest is possibly making it some sort of quest for additional traits. This could possibly be implemented with the new master writs or have another npc hand out certain quest to gain the knowledge of a 5th trait to add to sets. Example would he complete x trial or dungeon to obtain a trait stone that would give you something like the 5th trait on trials or dungeon drop sets. Like the nirnhoned was is craglorn.

As far as material drops I liked the old way but that isn't coming back. Other have suggested making the artwork for the material be a selection, having all wood, ore, hide and cloth be the same, but have it be more like the style selection, so instead of selecting oak you would just select oak as a style. Of course with this would come the ability to craft all levels of gear from 1 material. Example you could craft a set of TBS make it look like Steel for lvl 45 in Barbaric motif.

There's a lot that needs to be done with crafting to bring it up to speed with the rest of the game. The new master writs look promising, with the exception of legendary upgrade mats. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it's adjusted when it goes live.

Lol yeah I did not mean the time it takes for things to craft in 1Tnow lol it was an example as far as time goes lol. I also typed about allowing the material to effect the outlook of a set with motif as well (that was another time though) nice.
    Edited by Techkey1 on January 18, 2017 8:49PM

ESO PC NA

Love is what I know.
    Life is what I live.
    Death I will never see.
    Immortality awaits me.
  • Gamerbeau
    Gamerbeau
    Soul Shriven
    I like your thinking on this. It's a well written post & I would love to see some more crafter oriented quest lines or abilities. Maybe a line for just crafter based passives that give bonuses to crafted items depending on how far into the tree you go. Like the 3rd passive down could be like 5/10/15% chance to make a green item automatically or no tempers are consumed.
  • Techkey1
    Techkey1
    ✭✭
    Gamerbeau wrote: »
    I like your thinking on this. It's a well written post & I would love to see some more crafter oriented quest lines or abilities. Maybe a line for just crafter based passives that give bonuses to crafted items depending on how far into the tree you go. Like the 3rd passive down could be like 5/10/15% chance to make a green item automatically or no tempers are consumed.

I like that as well, very nice!

ESO PC NA

Love is what I know.
    Life is what I live.
    Death I will never see.
    Immortality awaits me.
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the inspiration you receive from writs after level 50, go towards reducing research time on traits in some way.
  • Techkey1
    Techkey1
    ✭✭
    Reivax wrote: »
    I'd like to see the inspiration you receive from writs after level 50, go towards reducing research time on traits in some way.

That would be nice.

ESO PC NA

Love is what I know.
    Life is what I live.
    Death I will never see.
    Immortality awaits me.