Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dear ESO XOne players - how do you swap weapons?

Seraphayel
Seraphayel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey fellow XOne players!

Just one question: how do you do the weapon swap? It's the only "difficult" move for me on the controller, the rest is working perfectly fine but switching weapons feels almost like a pain in the... yeah.

I'd like to hear how you "handle" this with your fingers.

The question might sound strange but... it's an important point for me to improve my weapon swap.
PS5
EU
Aldmeri Dominion
- Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapon swap was the biggest thing that turned me away from the console version after playing so long on mouse/kb and being able to bind any button I wanted to it.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's like 3cm away....not hard. Flick thumb down and job done. Get into a few panic situations and it'll come. Nothing beats having ward on back bar and an angry overfiend coming at you. It'll be 2nd nature in no time.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that it's only 3cm away but I don't want to lose control of either the stick for running around or my action buttons. Being able to move while swapping weapons is really important (imho) and that's an issue.

I thought about exchanging left and right so that I can use my right thumb to push the button for the weapon swap easier and still being able to move. It sounds hilarious but that's exactly what I'm thinking about right now *LOL*

@Sigtric

Weapon swap is maybe the only "issue" you could have on consoles. Combat works really well and is pretty smooth on consoles.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its not that strange question to be honest

I got xbox elite controller and i mapped it to be the second pedal so i use the ring finger to click it to change on the right hand and on my left hand i use the ring finger to use pots

so the pedals that shows where is says shift down

66db6326-27fb-4888-bce6-36e910e3c1a0.jpg?n=Elite_Screen_Forza6_Final-1920x1080.jpg

its quick and easy hope it helps buddy
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like 3cm away....not hard. Flick thumb down and job done. Get into a few panic situations and it'll come. Nothing beats having ward on back bar and an angry overfiend coming at you. It'll be 2nd nature in no time.
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    I know that it's only 3cm away but I don't want to lose control of either the stick for running around or my action buttons. Being able to move while swapping weapons is really important (imho) and that's an issue.

I thought about exchanging left and right so that I can use my right thumb to push the button for the weapon swap easier and still being able to move. It sounds hilarious but that's exactly what I'm thinking about right now *LOL*

@Sigtric

Weapon swap is maybe the only "issue" you could have on consoles. Combat works really well and is pretty smooth on consoles.

Yeah I don't have any issue really otherwise, except that I'm so established on PC it's not worth much to play on console too regularly.

I have trouble with certain movements on the controller, just because of the way my hands work, and it annoyed me to no end having to take my hand off the movement stick to weap swap when I did on the move no issue on PC (not so much an issue with PVE but I need my mobility in PVP)

Edit to add: for instance on XB1 controller if I want to hit both shoulder or bumper buttons (the ones closest to the face of the controller) at the same time I have to shift the whole thing in my grip, to get my index fingers on it. I don't have this issue with the PS4 controller /shrug
    Edited by Sigtric on January 12, 2017 11:19PM

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I already thought about getting the Elite controller but it's so expensive... but eventually it's worth it lol.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • skiptomyluau
    skiptomyluau
    ✭✭✭
    With practice you can just roll your thumb over without taking it off the stick
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D-pad or the elite controller lever.

I never had much of an issue before buying an elite tho. I played on PC prior to the gamepad UI without the elite.

Maybe it's the controller. There are different models if the default isn't ideal

I don't suggest spending $150 for the elite considering it's not Bluetooth like the new regular controllers. When Xbox Scorpio releases, I assume they'll be another controller with it or maybe the same elite controller included in the box
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on January 12, 2017 11:22PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Map your bar swap to your crouch. Thats how i do mine. ( instead of Left D-pad, Right thumbstick)
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I drink a potion or go into first person on accident when switching weapons. It's so annoying
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I drink a potion or go into first person on accident when switching weapons. It's so annoying

Hahahaha that's exactly my issue. I don't have a super fine control over my left hand as a right-hander and it happens pretty often that I miss the right button.

That's why I'm asking, maybe somebody has a super neat trick for me to actually make it work.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are some controller brands out there that have assignable toggles on the back that help with weapon swapping, that are even cheaper than a standard xbox controller
    Its also smaller, so for me & my tiny girl hands they are easier to use than official xbox controllers,
    unfortunatley they cause terrible feedback when using a mic :(
    so i ended up treating myself to an elite

the cheaper controllers may be worth consideration depending on how often you talk in game!

brand is afterglow & i think rockcandy have some too both are international brands so should be easy to find!
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my right thumb to swap bars since day 1 lol
    Edited by Skinzz on January 13, 2017 2:45AM
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my right thumb. I sacrifice camera movement for a second, but I can still move in four directions while swapping.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the PS4 I switch my controller button assignments. Left directional button becomes RIGHT analog click. So basically I trade the crouch and weapon swap so I never have to awkwardly move my thumb to weapon swap. It makes a huge difference.
    Edited by BlazingDynamo on January 13, 2017 7:27AM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    XBone Elite paddle.
    Changed EVERYTHING!
    ...eeexcept for lag not-bar-swap....
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use my thumb
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use my thumb
    Amateur.
    I use my WHOA!
    That got censored!
    (^___^)
  • GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried in VMA today, ended up hitting down instead and changing to first person pov. Never swapping again. I'll have nightmares about that.
  • iam_slickone
    iam_slickone
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same issue, using the left d-button was very difficult to get used to, even after playing ESO for 6 months i wasn't used to it.

i ended up buying the elite controller and i don't regret it one bit, this thing is way better made then the original controller.
    i mapped my weapon swap to left paddle and drink potion to right paddle, finger never come off the thumbsticks.

I never had much of an issue before buying an elite tho. I played on PC prior to the gamepad UI without the elite.

Maybe it's the controller. There are different models if the default isn't ideal

I don't suggest spending $150 for the elite considering it's not Bluetooth like the new regular controllers. When Xbox Scorpio releases, I assume they'll be another controller with it or maybe the same elite controller included in the box

what do you mean the elite isnt bluetooth? i know its wireless, not sure what signal it use though.
    'Keyser Soze Magic Templar
    Siike Magic Sorcer
    'Haze Stamina NightBlade
    'Caeser Stamina DK
    'Leonidas Stamina Templar
    'Thunder Stamina Sorcer

• unrelentingfear
    Can you use the xbox accessory app to remap buttons on a regular controller at work cant check
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh, I use an elite controller.

Only use two flaps. Left for weapon swap, right for options. Never taking your finger off the left analog helps a lot.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mhm you're really starting to convince me to buy a $120 controller... damn.

The Elite controller hasn't got a headset port, does it? On screens it doesn't look so but I bought the XOne headset yesterday and not being able to use it with the adapter on the Elite would be a huge let down.

And the people stating they're using their thumb: can you try to explain "how"? What do you do with your hand / finger?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue, using the left d-button was very difficult to get used to, even after playing ESO for 6 months i wasn't used to it.

i ended up buying the elite controller and i don't regret it one bit, this thing is way better made then the original controller.
    i mapped my weapon swap to left paddle and drink potion to right paddle, finger never come off the thumbsticks.

what do you mean the elite isnt bluetooth? i know its wireless, not sure what signal it use though.

@iam_slickone

I mean it's not Bluetooth. The Xbox one basic controllers released in 2016 are Bluetooth and wifi direct which means they work on Xbox and pc without buying anything extra.

The elite came out prior to Bluetooth Xbox one controllers so its best to wait and buy the one ppl assume will release with xbox Scorpio as it's assumed that there would be a newer version.

Maybe not tho. It's just ppl hoping
  • Bartdude
    Bartdude
    ✭✭✭
    You could just hope this comes soon....arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/06/xbox-one-mouse-keyboard-support-coming/

then your worries will be gone, unless you actually like using a controller?
    "No *** lady! does it sound like I'm ordering pizza?"
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bartdude wrote: »
    You could just hope this comes soon....arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/06/xbox-one-mouse-keyboard-support-coming/

then your worries will be gone, unless you actually like using a controller?

If not suggest this........cause then you'd have to ask ZOS to release the pc UI and keyboard mouse support
  • SnubbS
    SnubbS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Scuf controller, so barswap is always the left paddle.
    Xbox NA: SnubbS
    GoW eSports player & part time ESO Pug Ball Zerger.
    GB
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should definitely invest in that Elite Controller. Having weapon swap and potions wheel on the back peddles as well as the two bumpers makes the experience so much better.
  • Loose_Cannon
    Xbox elite controller- bottom left paddle

Or

It's the 'shift' key on my keyboard

Sorry that doesn't help much unless you have a troller or xim4, but that is my point.

I'm a bit older than the gamer crowd. My hands cramp, get locked up or are not flexible enough for the troller, especially with a claw grip.

Sometimes spending some extra money to make my gaming session more comfortable is well worth it in my eyes. After all, how many hours do you spend gaming?
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought an Elite Controller and put weapon swap in a pad on the right hand.

Let me tell you: it improved my gameplay by a lot. It is really much better.