The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

just an idea - weapon/armor scaling with players upon legendary improvement

Dar'Norok
Dar'Norok
✭✭
I just had an idea that perhaps had been thought of before, if that is the case then pardon me. I understand that with gear level removal or just at lv 50 comes with issues such as a feeling of a lack of progression, while on the otherhand with the current system and the occasional cp gear cap raise would result in power creep and the tiring need of grinding all the required materials again. But what if only when a weapon improvement reaches legendary that it scales to your character level instead?

Through this way I believe this system would:
- Allows the normal progression of our gears to be intact since legendary gears do not drop normally
- More incentive and everybody only has to obtain the desired legendary gears once instead of having to try and get the exact same set upon the introduction of the next gear level cap
- Give us a use of the older/lower level gears with potentially better designs in which the developers had put countless of hours in making only for them to be obsolete as soon as the characters reach a certain levels
- Potentially reduce the effects of power creep in the future and the tiring effect of seemingly endless gear grinds which every MMO has
- Give more variety on the street instead of red weapons everywhere.
- A true meaning to the 'legendary' improvement.

One of the reasons I am proposing this idea is because somehow as soon as I reached a certain level I feel forced to use the 'better' material such as rubedite rather than my other preferred classic materials such as dwarven/ebony/quicksilver/voidsteel which in my personal opinion may look better than the current bright red color of rubedite in certain weapons/armors. Otherwise, if this system cannot be implemented then perhaps a weapon 'dye' mechanism should be introduced where the player can dye/turn the color of the weapon blade into the materials that the player have already unlocked (so rubedite color can be turned into quicksilver, iron, ebony and so forth while voidsteel can only use the color from voidsteel to iron for example). This would help keep the authenticity while giving people more customisation options and also prevents players from running around with absurd color choices for their weapons which the developers may feel worry about. Please discuss and thanks for reading my idea.
  • Countcalorie
    Countcalorie
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. :)
    Edited by Countcalorie on December 26, 2016 10:15AM
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If it was "only for crafted" sure but right now we do not need anything to make drop sets better or nudge crafting more to drop set support mode.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Drazorious
    Drazorious
    ✭✭✭
    I vote for this
    Stuff and things
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    I approve of this idea.
  • rxhymn
    rxhymn
    ✭✭✭
    Why does everyone want to make an already easy game even easier...
  • Dar'Norok
    Dar'Norok
    ✭✭
    Repeating the same exact task again for the same exact purpose does not make the game easier or harder. Raising gear level cap is a simple solution to refresh the economy of the world every now and then as we have seen in other games I agree but it is simply annoying and leads to boredom since players would know nothing has changed. I feel that ESO is special since it is so advanced in comparison with other mmos with its novel solutions to problems that plague other games so I am just trying to suggest a solution to the gear level as I feel that it is the last problem that is holding the great level scaling system back. Also, I don't see how a weapon/armor is truly legendary if all it does is raising the damage/ value a tiny bit. If it does something as removing the gear level cap restriction then that might be more interesting. It just simply gives people more motivation to work towards legendary gears and more variety of choices of materials that can be made. Like you don't exactly have bananas in provisioning that scales to your level dont you? They're just bananas.

I have also realised that there could be problems if my ideas are incorporated into the game as a specific stype ore corresponds to the player's level and his/her crafting level, but really if this system is introduced then all it will do is encourage more trading happening between lower level and higher level players and again, make iron ingots, voidsteels,... more relevant. If you want to argue that perhaps rubedite ingot is stronger than iron ingot, then simply raises the number of ingots or temper required to make a cp160 iron weapon as opposed to rubedite. This would only further encourage trading between high level and lower level players and could be a great way to help new players catch up financially (gold-wised) too. The current enlightened system is excellent and doing this could be a great way to match that.

It is as simple as this: If you're scaling player levels to the environment to make every contents relevant again, why don't you also try to make every materials and lower level styles relevant as well from eg. iron to voidsteel, cloth to voidcloth etc... Some do genuinely prefer the simplicity of the earlier weapons/armors but could be forced to use the high-fantasy weapon/armor style as they advance enough. Don't get me wrong, I do love many of the champion gear designs but I feel that it is quite restrictive to no longer being able to use some of the great designs of earlier level gear.
    Edited by Dar'Norok on January 8, 2017 11:54AM
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So let me get this right, first you want legendary weapons to scale. So for instance if I get a sharp dagger of the trainee at lvl one, I gold it out and it scales all the way to cp160? While it would remove some of the grind, it wouldn't necessarily be better. What I see happening is lower level players getting screwed with gold mats thinking that will last them all the way through.

As for the second part, yeah all for being able to use any mat for any level. Much has been made of this for a while now. The only problem being with this is the availability of lower level mats. Yes they can still be harvested but not as easily as before 1T. Someone else had a suggestion that could cure that problem by just having 4 basic mats, wood, ore, hide and cloth. But instead of choosing ruby or steel just have an appearance of which material you want. So when crafting, on the line where that material is now it would just be art instead of an actual material.