Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Gold Gear

TheImperfect
TheImperfect
✭✭✭✭✭
How do you know when to upgrade your items to gold? Is it when you are outputting a certain amount of damage or got all great traits?

I have all purple at the moment and still looking for some better traits. I'm pretty all or nothing so never really considered making less than all the set gold but noticed my Husband has made just some of his chatacters pieces gold and left the ones he wants to replace purple so I may do that too.

I'm really scared of making a mistake because of the cost and I have had my magDK in three different set mixes over the last week to try (vamp lord/julianos, silks of sun/julianos and mothers sorrow/julianos). I think I'm happy with mothers sorrow and julianos mix. Making everything gold seems like a huge step.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless your chasing Leaderboard Times in Trials or your mostly 1vX PvP (non zerg or large group type) Gold is not all that special that you have to have it.

That being said, I do make my 5 Piece Julianos sets Gold for my Casters, because quite frankly there is not a better 5 piece set out there for me and the way I play. But, the stat difference would make me cry if I had to go out and buy the Gold Tempers. It is only because I sit on about 300 for each crafting line that I do go to Gold. I have a way of refining that gets me a decent return on Tempers so that helps.

Its easy to see how much of a difference you would have if you just que up the item after it's purple, then do the math to see the set total. However, remember, you can only improve gear, so any sets that you use that have 3 Jewelry pieces in it, your only getting an average of the Purple/Gold Set Bonuses. So that is enough for me to not want to improve a Dropped Set to Gold, as I would only be boosting two items, most of the time.

Weapons, those are worth taking to Gold.

Enchantments, those are worth using Kuta's for, for the most part. In some cases you have to ask your self if it's OK to use Rekuta's on the Glyphs that go on the small armor pieces (it probably is).

So, of course the Min/Maxers are going to come along and tell you it makes all the difference in the world. My view is a more realistic and reasonable one based on deciding that a fraction of a percentage of an increase in total stats is not going to matter on a Death Recap.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have weapons gold and maybe the jewellery. Rest are fine in purple.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a distinct difference in capabilities between a purple toon and a gold one, but whether you need the power really depends on what you're playing. If you're doing pvp and the hardest pve, gold might help. Otherwise...meh.

My strategy when upgrading a purple toon (I have eight vets) is to first look at weapons. The upgrades here are considerable, adding more than 100 to the weapon's damage stats. This affects the power of every ability cast while that weapon is equipped, so it's a good investment. But I'd only turn weapons gold when I'm sure I have the set/traits I want. I've played with purple for months before committing to an upgrade.

Armor pieces are less imperative. Yeah, each piece gets like 100 more armor, but 100 armor isn't that much defense. And the buffs to other stats are somewhat small. Gold armor helps, but it's not likely to change your play that much. With a toon like yours, I might decide that yeah, they're going to always use Julianos. So I'll upgrade those tomgold,piece by piece, starting with the larger items. Then their secondary set can either stay purple, or if I decide it's an amazing combo I'll come back to over and over I will go all gold.

In my opinion gold jewelry is an utter waste. I mean...if it were cost effective, sure. But I'd never personally spend 500k to get gold over purple. On a magic toon that's worth like 120 more max magic (out of 30-40k) and a few points in magic recovery or spell damage. I have some gold jewelry from rewards/trades/the golden vendor to spend some AP...it's good for some sets, but it doesn't make a huge difference.

• pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny considering the huge investment required for gold gear it should make a bigger difference IMO but i do understand it would probably upset the "it's not fair crowd".

Besides from weapons the difference is minimal for me the point to go gold with my gear is if i played it a while and don't expect to switch to different sets anytime soon (julianos, hunding and nmg are sets i upgrade to gold).
    I have like 12 gold staffs though so sometimes i impulse upgrade.

English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pattyLtd wrote: »
    It's funny considering the huge investment required for gold gear it should make a bigger difference IMO but i do understand it would probably upset the "it's not fair crowd".

Besides from weapons the difference is minimal for me the point to go gold with my gear is if i played it a while and don't expect to switch to different sets anytime soon (julianos, hunding and nmg are sets i upgrade to gold).

Also the fact that Rosin is fairly cheap and not as hard to obtain has nothing to do with I'm sure. ;)
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unhander_2 wrote: »
    pattyLtd wrote: »

Also the fact that Rosin is fairly cheap and not as hard to obtain has nothing to do with I'm sure. ;)

Haha,, obviously. Not denying that.
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just as others already said: only weapons are worth improving to legendary because the difference is noticeable here. It is also good to use Kutas at least on your bigger parts. If you don't sit on tempers I wouldn't use them on dropped gear since such sets usually change every update and what is BiS now might not be BiS in two months. I made only these two sets gold: Julianos and TBS since they are both decent sets (I would say: timeless and immortal) and I use them the most.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on the set. Gold bsw and scathing mage are worth going for gold. Tbs hell no the difference isn't even 1% crit and about 30 odd magika. Elegant no its 6 damage and 50 odd magika and the 5th trait isn't affected. Depends entirely on what you're using. Weapons of course need to be gold and monster sets are definitely worth it.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I wouldn't bother so much with gear unless you are flush with mats or end-game raiding. Even VMA it doesn't really matter. Weapons do make a difference though so gold them as a priority.

I'd also hold off on anything until the next release as whats best now may not be best latter. Mothers Sorrow is already being talked about as being impacted by some of the changes so i'll be waiting for outputs of testing before deciding on any gear after update 13. Wasted so many mats in the past only to realise something else works better :(
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for such good answers, many good ideas here. I will do like you say and possibly start with weapons...can't see myself completing maelstrom arena anytime soon and probably won't get what I want right away so will likely use the existing staves a lot so good to go gold. I won't bother with gold jewellery yet unless I happen to get it by lucky chance.