The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Help w/ DK Warmage Semitank/dps Mag build

ZenithEevee
ZenithEevee
Soul Shriven
Hello guys, This is ZenithEevee here, You may refer to me as Zen in future posts and please, Take your time to read through everything clearly and if there's anything you have questions about, be kind enough to ask.

So, a premise of what this build is suppose to accomplish:

"The Warmage is a master of the fight, Being able to take damage and dish it back in volleys of destructive magicks. In a group, A Warmage's job is the Initiator, going into the fray of the battle and locking down the biggest foe there. Having a balance between tank stats and Damage is important, For if the Warmage cant tank, they get blown up like a normal DPS, However, If they cant deal damage, the team is down a DPS."

Now, to a lot of people, This would seem like something you want a Sorc for, And i dont blame them, Sorcs have DPS out every spell they have, But for my tastes, I took on a DK, As They will give me the most Tank stats i can handle, While allowing me to easily jostle the use of Staff skills for a majority of damage outside of teh Ardent Flame line.

So, that's essentially the basics. A Mage that can go in, deal damage and not die in .6 seconds without being heal-spammed.

Ofcoarse, I'm having a few problems with a few thoughts on this.

Skills: When it comes down to it, A Warmage's best friend is damage, However, Until Level 50 on the staves line, You cant get the essential damage from its ult. So, before then, I'm torn between DragonKnight Standard and Dragon Leap.

Equipment: Ofcoarse, This game is one of the few allowing freedom of tools, Allowing rogues to hold hulking 2h swords, mages to go in with knives and bows, and warriors to rain fire lightning and ice on enemies, But when it comes down to the warmage, Its cut and dry Heavy armor with Staves, However, Should i be going for the Infused heavy armor with loads of Health and magicka enchants, Or should i go for Reinforced for that extra tankness?

Passives: Obviously when it comes down to it, Passives are whats saving this build from full damnation, However, The key is knowing which ones, I'm figuring out that clear Magica health and Damage regen are Top notch levels of necessary, But besides that, What else?
  • Bryaghx
    Bryaghx
    Soul Shriven
    Well DK standard is going to give you a reduction to damage taken as well as give out damage. So i would recommend the standard. Something to keep in mind about physical resistance... it can only mitigate 50% max. So if its 30k then that's what is considered "capped" with this build i only see an issue of damage mitigation without a shield. Its rough to tank without a shield even with good tank armor. Another thing to think about is maybe doing a mix of light and heavy armor so that some of the light armor skill passives are still active.
  • Bryaghx
    Bryaghx
    Soul Shriven
    The amount of damage that you deal with Light Attacks is determined by your Max Magicka or Max Stamina and also by your Spell Damage or Weapon Damage. Something else to try to keep in mind is balancing the amount of magicka needed for decent damage as well as health and physical resistance.
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, quick question, are you playing primarily PvE or PvP? Because while this isn't a build I'd even consider for PvE, it's pretty much exactly what I run for PvP. Reason being, in PvE, if you're playing DPS, you have a tank to sponge almost all of the damage for you, and you ultimately abandon most, if not all, of your defense in favor of pure offense. And if you're playing tank, you usually abandon most of your offense in favor of boss control and staying alive.

I'll try to answer your questions, tying to speak both to PvE and PvP, but the build you want is mostly a PvP thing.

I'll talk about PvE first.

For an ultimate, Dragonknight Standard, hands down. It's one of the few ultimates in the game worth running instead of the Destro ult because it boosts your entire team's DPS while dealing substatial damage on its own. This ability is quintessential for the Magicka Dragonknight, and is one of the big reasons that they're so strong in PvE DPS (in fact, next patch, Magicka Dragonknights are likely going to be the strongest PvE DPS setup in the game).

For armor traits, run all Divines with the Thief stone. All enchantments are Magicka. That will give you more DPS than any other trait/enchantment setup.

For your passives, you'll want everything from Ardent Flame, Destruction Staves, Earthen Heart, Draconic Power, Light Armor, Heavy Armor, Mages Guild, and Undaunted. Still, you don't have to be too choosy about your passives, since there's no limit on how many you can have active at a time, and there's enough skill points available in the game to pick up pretty much all of them.

Unfortunately, I can't really speak to the tanking side.

Now for PvP. This is going to be a bit longer.

For your ultimate, you really can't beat Devouring Swarm. It deals a lot of damage in a pretty big area, it has massive healing power, and, if you're a stage 4 vampire, it costs 158 Ultimate while restoring as many resources (Battle Roar passive from Earthen Heart) as a 200 cost Ultimate. It's a tough ability to beat. Your backbar choice of Ultimate has a few more choices. I'd reccomend Take Flight for a good gap closer, Shooting Star for a really good burst attack (which the Dragonknight lacks), Dragonknight Standard for a balance of offense and defense with phenomenal area control, or Eye of the Storm for almost ridiculously broken area damage that follows you.

Now for armor traits and enchantments. Generally, most of your defense comes from your Heavy Armor set (usually Armor of the Seducer, Rattlecage, Kragnarec's Hope, or Black Rose), so you can get away with running all Magicka enchantments again to make your whips and Embers hit as hard as possible. You want to run Impenetrable on all of your armor pieces. Reducing the damage of critical hits can help immensely with spike damage, and can mean the difference between surviving a gank and not.

Passives here are pretty much the same, but you'll probably want to pick up some Sword and Shield passives, because the extra armor and blocking power is fantastic on your front bar in PvP (not to mention that it gives you an extra set piece).

Let me know if you have any more questions. I know my post might've raised as many as it answered.

For my closing remarks, I'll say this: You said that Sorcerer sounded like it would be the best suited to this playstyle, but I respectfully disagree. I wouldn't rather my warmage be anything but a Dragonknight.
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • Dez
    Dez
    This sounds like a really fun build, do you think Argonian is a good race choice? That would mainly be a style choice for myself, Dumner might be best? I don't like the idea of playing an Elf :)
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dez wrote: »
    This sounds like a really fun build, do you think Argonian is a good race choice? That would mainly be a style choice for myself, Dumner might be best? I don't like the idea of playing an Elf :)
    In terms of damage output, nothing beats a Dunmer Dragonknight. In fact, they're probably going to be the absolute top of the food chain in terms of PvE DPS next patch. So for PvE Magicka DPS, you're definitely best off playing Dunmer.

Argonians are great in PvP, though, and I could see them working really well for a Magicka Dragonknight. They have the best self-healing power in the game, which, alongside their health bonus and their poison/disease resistance, would make them preposterously tanky. Their potion passive is also like a second Battle Roar, which is awesome, because MagKnights really struggle in the resource management department. Still, Argonians have 6% less Magicka than Dark Elves and also lose the 7% boost to fire attacks, so your offense is going to suffer if you pick an Argonian instead of a Dark Elf. That being said, gear/L2P/Champion Points are much more important than your choice of race, so you can still be very successful as an Argonian Dragonknight, but the loss of damage is something to keep in mind.
    Edited by EldritchPenguin on January 6, 2017 7:11PM
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • Dez
    Dez
    Hmm, Argonian might make sense for me as I usually spend most of my time in PvP :)