The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is elder scrolls online just like the other Bethesda elder scroll series?

malavvi
malavvi
Soul Shriven
I've played morrowwind, oblivion and skyrim and absolutely love them. So I was just wondering. I know it's a mmo, does that take away from the gameplay? Or is it more geared to PVP?

Best Answers

• Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same universe, appearance, and lore. Different combat mechanics.
    Answer ✓
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO has a very strong solo-PVE influence. There are other players around, and you do interact with them, but for a large portion of the game, you do not need to group up and play with people, if you do not want to.

The art style, and overall visual appearance of the game, and writing are very similar.

Combat is completely different and is very magicka oriented. The game is a lot more typical of an MMO than the single player ES games, in this respect.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Answer ✓
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    malavvi wrote: »
    Thank you I am going to try this game out. Is the mmo mechanic like WOW then?

It uses a skill bar, like WoW, but you are limited to 5 weapon and class skills at a time, you get a second set of 5 with the 2nd weapon at level 15. WoW uses tab targetting, but ESO is designed to target whatever is closest to where the mouse is pointing, which can include nearby mice, rats, and other inconsequential animals. In WoW, you can get away with standing ground and firing off lots of spells and you do not have to perform routine weapon attacks. ESO has separate light and heavy weapon attacks that most people use between the spells on the bar, and you really need to move around a lot more than many WoW players are used to.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 2, 2017 10:03PM
    Answer ✓
  • malavvi
    malavvi
    Soul Shriven
  • Viscous119
    Viscous119
    ✭✭✭

Its somewhat like WoW with the skill bar, but that's about it. The fighting is more like TERA, or BDO, in that you need to move around while pressing your skills. It's very dynamic and I love it. If you have a mouse with number buttons on it (I use a razer naga) the fighting mobs is even better, but you don't need it. The graphics are top notch and far from the cartoony look of WoW. You should definitely try it out, and if you like it, subscribe as an ESO plus member to get all the DLC content and a bottomless crafting bag (which you'll need if you want to craft things).
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clearest answer is that it lands somewhere between a solo TES game and WoW.

Don't expect it to be Skyrim, but instead play it for what it brings to the table as an MMO, and you'll enjoy it just fine. A lot of us TES nuts love this game, so explore and have fun.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It uses a skill bar, like WoW, but you are limited to 5 weapon and class skills at a time, you get a second set of 5 with the 2nd weapon at level 15. WoW uses tab targetting, but ESO is designed to target whatever is closest to where the mouse is pointing, which can include nearby mice, rats, and other inconsequential animals. In WoW, you can get away with standing ground and firing off lots of spells and you do not have to perform routine weapon attacks. ESO has separate light and heavy weapon attacks that most people use between the spells on the bar, and you really need to move around a lot more than many WoW players are used to.

dude you do know you have tab-targeting in eso right.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    The last year course is "less MMO, more TES", and I absolutely love it.
  • Viscous119
    Viscous119
    ✭✭✭
    AzuraKin wrote: »

Of course! ;)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraKin wrote: »

Yup.