Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Gear progression after reaching l.50?

Kairos
Kairos
Having just reached level 50 with my Nightblade, I need some informed advice about gear progression from here on. So far I have concentrated on building up and improving one specific set, namely the Viper’s Sting, trying to keep the components in step with my level by running Fungal Grotto I and II.

What should I be aiming for now? Do entirely new and better sets now become available from somewhere? Does my existing Viper set continue to scale up with CP, and if so, do the upgrades still drop from Fungal Grotto I & II, or only from the Veteran version? Or should I be looking at crafted armour and weapons?

All advice and suggestions gratefully received!

Best Answers

• Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Max level gear is currently CP 160. You can still get Viper between CP1-160 so if you like farming every 10 CPs you can. Most people will tell you though that you will level fast to CP160 so you can wait until then to farm again. There are a lot of good sets that you can pick up. I recommend checking out this site to review all the gear options

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets
    Edited by Curragraigue on January 1, 2017 10:57AM
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
    Answer ✓
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are correct - the max level for gear is currently CP160. The gear you have will stay the level it currently is, and will not "level up" with you, so once you reach CP160, you will want to farm for gear that is CP160.

CP cap is different than gear cap. Gear is capped at CP 160, but the current CP cap is 561. The CP cap refers to how much CP you can SPEND, not how much you can earn. You can have as many CP as you can earn, but can only spend 561 of them for now.

Crafted gear is simply another way to attain gear. Just like there are dropped sets that have multi-piece bonuses, you can craft gear that has multi-piece bonuses. Here is a link that briefly describes crafting gear:

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafted-item-sets-eso/ **Please note: The set info on this site appears out of date. Use the link below for an up to date set guide. However, the basic "how to" for crafting is correct.**

Here is a list of sets you can craft, and the location of the crafting station you need to use to craft them:

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Set+Bonus+Crafting+Locations
    Edited by Syrani on January 1, 2017 4:27PM
    Answer ✓
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kairos wrote: »
    Thanks, Curragraigue. I take it the max level for gear of 160 is unconnnected to the numbers well above it that some players exhibit...

What about crafted gear? Is this a separate line of progress, or is crafting something one applies to gear which is already at maximum level?

Yes max level CP characters are wearing CP160 gear. Crafted gear is capped at 160 as well. The crafted sets are locked behind how many traits you have researched for each item. So Hunding's Rage which is a popular starter stam damage set requires that you have researched 6 traits on each item you make.

You also use crafting to upgrade items from white, green, blue, purple and gold. The higher your crafting skill you can unlock passives in the craft so you can use less upgrade materials to upgrade your gear.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
    Answer ✓
  • Kairos
    Kairos
    Thanks, Curragraigue. I take it the max level for gear of 160 is unconnnected to the numbers well above it that some players exhibit...

What about crafted gear? Is this a separate line of progress, or is crafting something one applies to gear which is already at maximum level?
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So compared to cp 160 gear how good is epic cp 150 gear? Is there much difference in stats?
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭
    Everything is trash until you get to v160 unless you play in blackwater.