The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stamina vs Magicka Nightblade

CallMeBigPapi
My main character is a stamina nightblade. His burst damage is ridiculous (viper + selene's web + surprise attack from stealth) easily hits 50k. I can sustain beautifully with heal over time potions, vigor, siphoning strikes, and vice cannon. I have a magicka nightblade, and the only things he seems to be able to to do are
a) bomb (hard to pull off)
b) cloak (for like a minute straight)
c) kite and cut off LOS until he dies
Playing magicka NB always seems to be playing on one's heels, is it possible to build a decent magicka nightblade? All of sypher's builds involve kiting, cutting of LOS, buffing up to increase dodge chance, and bursting DPS if possible (I can't burst with magicka at all). It seems impossible to be able to goe toe-to-toe so to speak like a stamina NB can as far as being competent and forcing the other person to go on the defensive.

So the question is this: How does one play a formidable magicka NB w/out running around like a little b****
Edited by CallMeBigPapi on December 29, 2016 8:32PM
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Secret behind every succesfull magblade can be found behind his helmet. It is green face with huge teeth.
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't tried it yet I would suggest trying out heavy armor. When I am in light armor on my magblade I feel like I am constantly on the defensive or, to put it your way, I feel like I am always on my heels. It seems difficult to even get some breathing room to put out some damage. Heavy gives some added tankiness and synergizes well with magblade to allow for you to get offensive.

If you are running destro/restro, I would say the most effective meta build is 2 piece monster set (skoria, grothdarr, pirate skele, etc.) 5 piece spinners, and 5 piece clever (with the 5th clever being your back bar). Make the 4 clever body pieces and one of the monster pieces heavy and run 5/1/1 or 5/2. Then utilize the witchmothers potent brew and siphoning attacks for great sustain.

You should check out this video which explains in detail how to succeed as a magblade far better than I could: https://youtu.be/GRWX9iG-_Ms
    Edited by bubbygink on December 29, 2016 8:39PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbygink is right.

I've made an alt mNB. Heavy Armor has ridiculous synergy with mNB. Passive health, passive vitality and HoTs. The passives for crit help the lack in HA, swallow soul is so cheap you can spam it all day getting great health in return.

I run DW and Resto. Resto synergies even better than NB with HA. Again passive healing (rapid regen is on my bar, it ticks for up to 1400 when crit)

I go DW swallow soul, agonize, cripple, innerlight, shades ult the 50 cost one

Resto healing ward, rapid regen, impale, entropy, mericless resolve, Pancea - (life's champion) super super underrated ult

Alchemist, Transmutation, Skoria. Practically unkillable and stull hits like a truck. I got tons of PvP duels and open world footage if anyone cares to see, if so i can post it.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing about magblade is the amount of cc's you can block because of siphoning attacks. You should never take a cc from javelin, dizzing swing, crystal frag, or shards. Also you should always be moving to make yourself more difficult to target, and always keep your shade down so you can kite away if someone gets to close. Make sure you light attack before every skill, block, or roll Dodge to keep your bow procd. With magblade you need to set up your burst you can't win with your spammable DPS like you can with a stamblade. The burst combo I like use is assasins will agony/clench soul harvest. I like soul harvest over soul tether because for 50 ultimate it's up all the time it hits really hard and is a heal debuff so its alot of pressure. If you are feeling too pressured use crippling grasp to get some distance away from your shade then teleport too it. Magblade is probably the best class at relieving pressure while still keeping pressure on your opponent. Heavy armor works on magblade but I prefer light armor for more damage (Use skoria)
  • PrinceRyzen
    PrinceRyzen
    ✭✭✭
    @bubbygink is right.

I've made an alt mNB. Heavy Armor has ridiculous synergy with mNB. Passive health, passive vitality and HoTs. The passives for crit help the lack in HA, swallow soul is so cheap you can spam it all day getting great health in return.

I run DW and Resto. Resto synergies even better than NB with HA. Again passive healing (rapid regen is on my bar, it ticks for up to 1400 when crit)

I go DW swallow soul, agonize, cripple, innerlight, shades ult the 50 cost one

Resto healing ward, rapid regen, impale, entropy, mericless resolve, Pancea - (life's champion) super super underrated ult

Alchemist, Transmutation, Skoria. Practically unkillable and stull hits like a truck. I got tons of PvP duels and open world footage if anyone cares to see, if so i can post it.

I'd definitely like to check out the footage if you post it. Anything on YT?
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good info
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am a light armored melee nightblade. Yes, I die a lot but I also make enough kills even from within an enemy zerg but it's hard to pull of.

I wear 5 khrag's hope (so I can rez mates quick) and 5 spinner and 1 molag kena and 1 infernal guardian (why no set? because this combination just looks cool)

I sneak around for prey as a vampire. When I see an enemy I cast cripple and entropy (or I use potion for major sorcery)
    and the 2 dots soften them up. then I lotus fan to them, cloak, heavy attack+concealed weapon and use impale when I get them under 25% health.

It works except for HA guys. Then you cry and die.

It's really hard currently as melee magblade but I still find it fun to play. I have also thought of going ranged using destroy staf and wear HA like @KenaPKK does. And he is the best magblade around. But it's not my playstyle using staffs and heavy armor. So I stick to my light armor and dual blades.

I do have a resto staff on my backbar but sometimes I have dual blades there also and use harness magicka and swallow soul for heals.

Yes, you can give in and go easy mode playing stamblade with 3 proc sets and blindfold and just press 2 buttons. Even I am on the brink of doing it sometimes. I got velidreth, vicecannon, viper and red mountain at my armory but so far I could resist. I used them one and ganking really became boring one shotting people.

Problem with magblade is, you do get first shot but you cannot one shot. that means if your victim was a proc set user you can get *** in a second with light armor after your initial attack.

Edited by Knootewoot on December 30, 2016 8:41AM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PrinceRyzen yeah, I fell asleep last night and at work now, when I get home I'll tag you and post the vid. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to do any of this on my phone lol

I have a 30 sec clip of me 1v2 then a 3rd, then a 4th, a 5th and finally when the 6th showed up they got me. It's actually pretty cool, each player enters the battle with a unique move.

Oh and the cool thing about transmutation and resto, pair up with a former emp and rock out.

Life's Champion, healing ward and rapid regen on a dps sorc that casts eots, yeah we killed a lot that day!
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i met a very interesting mageblade using red mountain and force pulse with flame reach and valkyn skoria, it was a very strong combination and if i hadnt LoS'd him so much i'd of died easily
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zuto40 wrote: »
    i met a very interesting mageblade using red mountain and force pulse with flame reach and valkyn skoria, it was a very strong combination and if i hadnt LoS'd him so much i'd of died easily

@zuto40 That actually sounds very interesting. One issue I see is that you would probably have to use two medium body pieces and two robust jewelry pieces. But I am assuming crushing shock counts as 3 hits so it would be 30% chance to proc every attack right? Your max stats would be lower but would be a lot of pressure with Skoria+Red Mountain.
    Edited by bubbygink on December 30, 2016 8:10PM
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bubbygink wrote: »

@zuto40 That actually sounds very interesting. One issue I see is that you would probably have to use two medium body pieces and two robust jewelry pieces. But I am assuming crushing shock counts as 3 hits so it would be 30% chance to proc every attack right? Your max stats would be lower but would be a lot of pressure with Skoria+Red Mountain.

idk how he did it, i know he used the 4 red mountain, he had a robe, he had valkyn skoria, and he had a maelstrom destro, i asked him about the build but he never replied
    Stamblade- Legate
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbygink you would still go all magicka, Shadow of Red mountain procs on weapon attacks (force pulse) no melee weapon necessary - this includes staff attacks.

The problem becomes the weapon crit, and weapon damage bonus from red mountain 2 and 4 piece bonus.

Ironically CP allocation would be better for the magicka build as the fire damage from Red Mountain is in the magicka tree.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • bubbygink
    bubbygink
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbygink you would still go all magicka, Shadow of Red mountain procs on weapon attacks (force pulse) no melee weapon necessary - this includes staff attacks.

The problem becomes the weapon crit, and weapon damage bonus from red mountain 2 and 4 piece bonus.

Ironically CP allocation would be better for the magicka build as the fire damage from Red Mountain is in the magicka tree.

@Waffennacht Right I get that. But the downside is that you would need to use Red Mountain jewelry which only comes in robust AFAIK. So originally I envisioned 1 Red Mountain Destro, two medium Red Mountain armor pieces, and two robust Red Mountain jewelry pieces. But @zuto40 just mentioned this guy was also using Maelstrom destro (was he using WoE too to proc RM more?) so he must have been using 2 medium RM pieces and 3 robust RM jewelry pieces. So not only will the 2-4 piece bonuses be a problem bust also having 3 robust instead of 3 arcane. Plus having to use 2 medium instead of 5/1/1 or 5H/2L.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bubbygink for PvP robust isn't a horrid choice - 2400ish magicka being stamina? Ok, well if you then run Blue food (magicka and health) or witches brew (mag, health and mag regen) you're essentially using Purple food (stam, health, and mag)

The stamina from jewelry can be used efficiently, however you cannot work around the weapon crit, and to a lesser extent the weapon damage

Two medium is fine, 8% cost reduction to roll dodge and stam regen again really helps for CC break and dodge roll.

If it were me, I'd then slot shuffle to take advantage of the added stam etc (apparently it's better than blur too)

It's not a min max build but It could be cool. :)
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I fought an AD magblade who used that same build. It was very strong
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Legate Yhrn?
    Stamblade- Legate
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

• zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Waffennacht @bubbygink I actually have a clip of one of my battles with him http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Inferno Staff/video/24922015 I thought I had another longer one but I guess not
    Stamblade- Legate
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Legate Yhrn?

Yea that's him
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PrinceRyzen here is a quick video I slapped together. It's the last 6 duels I had, I'm working on an open world video, but this is what you get for now lol

Edit: Last 40 secs of the last 6 battles I should say, and each opponent is 561 and a skilled duelist

https://youtu.be/K54IJiQ3Otw
    Edited by Waffennacht on December 31, 2016 6:08AM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • PrinceRyzen
    PrinceRyzen
    ✭✭✭
    @PrinceRyzen here is a quick video I slapped together. It's the last 6 duels I had, I'm working on an open world video, but this is what you get for now lol

Edit: Last 40 secs of the last 6 battles I should say, and each opponent is 561 and a skilled duelist

https://youtu.be/K54IJiQ3Otw

Thanks for posting. Being so use to destro I have such a tough time wrapping my mind around dual wield. I weave everything.

I also noticed you used the two shades. What is it you like about them? I haven't tested them in a long time. I stick to the other morph. That teleport in open world is life saving.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PrinceRyzen I like the shades because in PvP they deal 1.2k dps, and provide major maim. The higher dps was the reason.

I don't run away, even in open PvP, no need for teleport. Weaving is good, if you wanted, just use transmutation resto staff, Alchemist destro staff and weave. It'd work fine. I prefer the cheaper ults for consistency, but you could easily run eots.

If you wanna be more supportive/ healer Tank thing, I've toyed with the idea of Blood Spawn helm over skoria and running the above mentioned destro plus Eots.

Edit:In a group setting, Blood Spawn + Life's Champion frequently casted +transmutation would make your group unkillable.
    Edited by Waffennacht on December 31, 2016 8:18AM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • PrinceRyzen
    PrinceRyzen
    ✭✭✭
    @PrinceRyzen I like the shades because in PvP they deal 1.2k dps, and provide major maim. The higher dps was the reason.

I don't run away, even in open PvP, no need for teleport. Weaving is good, if you wanted, just use transmutation resto staff, Alchemist destro staff and weave. It'd work fine. I prefer the cheaper ults for consistency, but you could easily run eots.

If you wanna be more supportive/ healer Tank thing, I've toyed with the idea of Blood Spawn helm over skoria and running the above mentioned destro plus Eots.

Edit:In a group setting, Blood Spawn + Life's Champion frequently casted +transmutation would make your group unkillable.

I focus more so on damage and killing. Support never interested me.

Once I try out heavy armor (I'm thinking 5 heavy clever Alchemist and undecided 2nd set) Perhaps then I'll see what life is like without teleport. When in light armor I prefer having the teleport. 1v1 is easy. But when groups give chase and you're solo, against groups spamming snares, no way I'm trying to tank. Lol.

Teleport allows me much needed control of engaging. Plus I believe it still applies minor maim so no loss there.

My main question regarding heavy armor is how well does it perform in a destro gank situation?

If I run 5 heavy with clever and elegance, is heavy attack ganking a viable option?
    Edited by PrinceRyzen on December 31, 2016 7:57PM