The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Can Someone Help With... Everything?

smausage
smausage
I've had this game for awhile, I think I got it a few months after its release, and still have no clue how to play it at all... I haven't even beaten the main questline yet. Thus far, the highest level character I've made is a 33, iirc. I haven't played this game for too long (maybe 70-80 hours), but still, after over 2 years you would think I'd understand the mechanics. The last time I played was probably 4-5 months ago, so I'm starting a new character again so that I can remember the story.

What are the sneaking mechanics? Are they like regular Elder Scrolls games or not?... Does sneaking do anything, like backstabbing, for example, seems to not work. I remember reading that backstabs were a thing, but if I crouch down to sneak up behind an npc, they always end up turning around and attacking me before I even get close (this was on a nb, too). Builds for nb's seem to be a bit contradictory too, assuming sneaking did work, medium armor enhances that, no? All of the skills for the nb are magicka based, so why use medium armor? The stats also seem to be strange to me, I have a 32 nb with every single point I've gotten put into magicka, but he does hardly any damage. He has the best weapon craftable for his level, that's also enchanted. My first character, a 33 dk with 90% of the points I had gotten put into health kills things faster...

The builds in general in this game seem to be odd. In most mmorpg's I've played, the stats you can pump make you do more damage (or give you more hp, but really, who wants that?), and different classes do different types of damage. In this, I don't even know... Different skill trees require different stats, so which one do I pump, and does pumping the correlating stat make the skills do more damage, or does it just allow you to have a larger reserve of whatever stat that might be?

I really want to finish this game, the story seems to be pretty good, but I just can't for some reason. I don't know what class the next character will be, probably the one that's best for PvE, since I don't think I'm too interested in the PvP aspect of the game. Been burnt out on mmorpg's since I quit Dekaron (If you ever played that, you would understand why).

I think the reason that it's so confusing is that this game seems to be trying to mush together aspects of a regular mmorpg with the mechanics of the other elder scrolls games, which just makes it really un-intuitive. Any help explaining things would be appreciated. I'm sure I forgot about 9,000 other things that were confusing me, too, but oh well.

• UntrustedExistenz
    UntrustedExistenz
    ✭✭✭
    In every game, the best time you spend on learning things. In every game my best memories are from time when I can't do a lot things and just explore them.
    So my advices are:
    1. Enjoy your time in ESO. Try new things, explore the land and have fun.
    2. If you have time, spend some here, on forum. I know there is a lot of hate and whining here, but there are a lot of players who are really helpful and can help you. (Don't need to create another threads. 80 % of your question can be already answered)
    3. Find noob friendly guild. (you can play and learn at the same time).
    4. Remember that is Elder Scroll and it's not Elder Scroll at the same time. A lot of things there are intuitive if you played scrolls before, but it's still mmo so lot of part of gameplay is online based).
    5. PM me here, I have some low lvl chars, so I can go on adventure with u.
    smausage wrote: »
    What are the sneaking mechanics? Are they like regular Elder Scrolls games or not?... Does sneaking do anything, like backstabbing, for example, seems to not work. I remember reading that backstabs were a thing, but if I crouch down to sneak up behind an npc, they always end up turning around and attacking me before I even get close (this was on a nb, too). Builds for nb's seem to be a bit contradictory too, assuming sneaking did work, medium armor enhances that, no? All of the skills for the nb are magicka based, so why use medium armor? The stats also seem to be strange to me, I have a 32 nb with every single point I've gotten put into magicka, but he does hardly any damage. He has the best weapon craftable for his level, that's also enchanted. My first character, a 33 dk with 90% of the points I had gotten put into health kills things faster...
    I'll try to answer some of your questions.
    Sneaking is different from elder scrolls in single game. You can be invisible (default ctrl if ur from PC MASTER RACE) and it gives dmg bonus on first shot (I'm not pro so wait for other responsees proving me wrong lol). If you own dark brotherhood DLC and will make first quest there you can kill NPC in one shot (u will see animation like in skyrim for example).
    Medium armor enchances radius of sneak makes you more sneaky. And Medium gives a lot of critical (damn..just read skill info).
    I'm at work now so if u want more info just pm, I'll answer when I can
    Best regards
    Future unemployent gamer who should working right now.
    <PC EU>
    Press "F" to pay respect to our fallen megalulserver.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These days in the game all skills are basically broken up into two types: Magicka and Stamina. This is based on their cost of use and determines which of your character's stats are drawn upon when calculating the damage inflicted (or healing done).

Now, very basically:
    Stamina Skills: The base damage is calculated off your character's Maximum Stamina & Weapon Power.
    Magicka Skills: Base damage is calculated from Maximum Magicka & Spell Power.

Now there are some exceptions to that rule (there always are), but it holds true basically 90% of the time.

It's for this basic game mechanic that you'll find a lot of players specialize their characters in using predominantly skills that draw from one of those pools, not both. And the game is designed this way too for the most part. It really does not pay to be a jack-of-all-trades sadly (unless perhaps your character's the role of a tank, but that's another story).

So, for example, with all attribute points in magicka thus far that will help your character deal more damage with any skill that uses magicka, but it will do absolutely nothing for any skill that requires stamina.

I hope that at least in-part helps you a bit.

Also don't forget there is an F1 (Help) window in the game you can use, and it has a lot of information there on all sorts of useful things.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on December 30, 2016 12:00PM
    If you can be anything, be kind.