The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Optional Downgraded Writs

miteba
miteba
✭✭✭✭
I think we should have the option to do writs with lower level materials!

I will try to explain... Almost everyday i do the writs with *at least* 6 toons! Some toons get all 6 writs (consumables and equipment).
All of them are master crafter at least at equipments and all have tailoring, woodworking and metalworking passives at high, so they can harvest the top tier materials... and do the top tier writ, which has better drops obviously ;)

When we deliver the writ, one of the drops is a random shipment, which is totally acceptable. But then, after some days, i collect/build up tons of lower level materials which i don´t really use... and if i had the option to downgrade my writs to use those materials would be awesome to manage stocks (even if it affects writs drops).

Before someone says the obvious... i know we can use those stocks for sale, or help people with low level toons, etc etc ... but anyway i think a master crafter should have this specific option without reseting the skills to manage that.

A good example is the nirns, which have a better drop in Craglorn surveys, and use equipment crafting passives at lvl 9, and although not so much demanded nowdays, the writs downgrade option would help a lot.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    miteba wrote: »
    I think we should have the option to do writs with lower level materials!

I will try to explain... Almost everyday i do the writs with *at least* 6 toons! Some toons get all 6 writs (consumables and equipment).
    All of them are master crafter at least at equipments and all have tailoring, woodworking and metalworking passives at high, so they can harvest the top tier materials... and do the top tier writ, which has better drops obviously ;)

When we deliver the writ, one of the drops is a random shipment, which is totally acceptable. But then, after some days, i collect/build up tons of lower level materials which i don´t really use... and if i had the option to downgrade my writs to use those materials would be awesome to manage stocks (even if it affects writs drops).

Before someone says the obvious... i know we can use those stocks for sale, or help people with low level toons, etc etc ... but anyway i think a master crafter should have this specific option without reseting the skills to manage that.

A good example is the nirns, which have a better drop in Craglorn surveys, and use equipment crafting passives at lvl 9, and although not so much demanded nowdays, the writs downgrade option would help a lot.

See my sig for crafting suggestion - basically i suggest allowing writs to have you craft an item (maybe three at the lower levels to keep total mats the same range over time) with trait and style of ANY material you can craft. The tier of the item determines the reward scale baseline not your skill.

So "tier of mats burned" ~ "rewards" and you get to use whatever you want.

So basically, i agrree with the idea but just let the turn-in be your "dial".

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only suggestion I have, especially if you are doing writs on 6 characters, is to respec some of their skills and reduce how many passives you put into crafting.

The writ you get is based on the number is skill points you have allocated, so if you do have your blacksmith passive at level 1, your writs will call for iron armour and weapons, regardless of what level the character is at in the line. If you bump it up to 2, the writ will be for the next level material, and so on.

The only downside of this is that the delivery point also matches the level, so if you do writs on a character at a wide range of levels across crafts, you might have to do a bit of travelling to deliver them.

I have one character left at max level, as he is my master crafter, and some of my others are set to assorted levels based on my material supply. This also helps if you are farming, as 50% of the time you get materials based on the skill line passive, so you can actually target a specific material level with a character if you want to.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game forces encourages me to use either top end or low end materials, so I just let it. I am not going to build a alt character for certain material usage, nor rely on RNG to farm intermediate mats via Writ Shipments and then not get mats that are usable on the writs I am doing to get those shipments.

Most of my characters who are maxed in crafting do low level writs because those are the mats they get 50% of the time, and the mats I get from Shipments are lowest level as there are no other tiers lower. I get full Exp, Full Gold and about the same chance for Surveys* and Tempers and I don't have to burn up mats that I can't get without jumping through hoops or using up top end mats I need so many of for gear.

The only problem with this is, I get a better chance at Ambrosia Fragments on top end Prov Writs. But, I have two extra recipes in case I ever get an Aether Cipher, and 3 of my Chefs know the Recipe, so this is less and less an issue now than it used to be.

*still testing the survey thing, it might be lower with lower level writs
    Edited by Nestor on December 28, 2016 10:24PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I get full Exp, Full Gold and about the same chance for Surveys* and Tempers (...)
    *still testing the survey thing, it might be lower with lower level writs

@Nestor I left the low level writs because it seemed to me that tempers drops are lower than top tiers.
    It´s not based in any statistic, just personal experience... and surveys i cannot say because i dont remember well.

The provisioner writ has more drop % of ambrosia fragments in top tiers without a doubt... i have tested it a whole month... With 3 toons with provisioner level 1, 2 & 3, it didnt droped a single fragment while i received 3/4 fragments with another 3 toons at max level.

Anyway, my request is not based because of the shipments... but i could gain more gold/tempers if i used the low level mats that i *cant* use on writs.
    But @STEVIL idea is very well conceived too
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    miteba wrote: »
    @Nestor I left the low level writs because it seemed to me that tempers drops are lower than top tiers.
    It´s not based in any statistic, just personal experience... and surveys i cannot say because i dont remember well.

The provisioner writ has more drop % of ambrosia fragments in top tiers without a doubt... i have tested it a whole month... With 3 toons with provisioner level 1, 2 & 3, it didnt droped a single fragment while i received 3/4 fragments with another 3 toons at max level.

@miteba

I am going to be keeping an eye on the Gold Tempers too, but I get enough from Refining and I use a trick that does not make me use up an excess of raw mats (or it seems that way anyway). I have only recently gone back to low level eq writs, but in the past gold tempers dropped just fine. It may have changed.

As for the Ambrosia Fragments on lower level Prov Writs. I have gotten fragments on my L2 and L3 and L4 Prov Writs. One time each. I have 4 Mules that I cycle through the various levels of writs to get recipes, my Ambrosia needs are sated with 3 characters knowing the recipe and two extra recipes in the bank. Anyway, they do drop but at a very low rate. Which leads me to believe the Gold Temper drop rate may be lower too. I will keep two doing top level equipment writs as a base to compare.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"