The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Gankers - Counter the Miat's Addon, don't just be a victim

Kutsuu
Kutsuu
✭✭✭✭✭
This discussion isn't to commiserate and complain about the addon - there are half a dozen other threads where that topic is being discussed. This thread is to discuss strategies and counters that we have discovered. Please feel free to add anything you've discovered and I will consolidate your quotes in the main post.

I'm still ganking people who use this addon. People have gotten so confident with it that they have actually made it easier on me by not running radiant magelight anymore, not keeping their buffs up when they don't see anyone around on their counter, and just generally being more confident and less paranoid than before.

First, you won't show up on their counter unless you leave/enter crouch. You can buff, even cast magelight right next to them where they can hear it, and you don't show up on the counter. The only events that I know of which will cause you to show up on their counter have to be done outside of crouch (mounting, going into crouch, sprinting).

Second, they only get the heavy attack alert if you focus your target reticle on them while charging it. I simply point away from them while charging it up - then once I do point my reticle at them THEY DO NOT GET AN ALERT!!! The alert only seems to trigger when someone STARTS charging a heavy attack while you are targeted by them.

Using Ambush does give them around 1/3rd of a second in which they could react before it lands because it has a short channel/cast time before hitting that will cause a stealth alert to go off. The channel is actually 1/2 second, but due to latency they won't get the alert exactly 500ms before it hits, it's closer to ~300-350. The most reliable option is to release your bow heavy attack in melee range and immediately incap. They have literally ZERO warning here and no possibility to react ahead of time. However, I have had only a few very prepared players manage to block my Ambush after getting the warning for it... so I still use it a lot.

Another option is the "cry wolf" strategy. Stand 25-30m away from your target who you suspect is using the addon, and just charge/swing melee heavy attacks at them. They will get an alert at the beginning of every heavy channel, and for the first dozen or so alerts they will flip out, waste their stam buffing, blocking, dodge rolling, wasting their detect potions, etc. Eventually they think you're trolling them and stop defending. This is when you actually do strike and kill them, then teabag.

Anyway, I'm kinda enjoying people using this addon. It adds an extra element of strategy to ganking, and an extra element of rage to the victim who thinks they are safe.
Edited by Kutsuu on December 26, 2016 9:17PM
PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
Kutsus - NB
Kutsmuffin - Temp
Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
Kutsuu - Temp
Natsu Dragoneel - DK
Kutsumo - NB
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You make it sound as if it's only gankers that disapprove of this addon.

Well I for one am the opposite of a ganker - I like playing out in the open - and I think this addon sucks bottoms.

Not only does it make the playing field even more unfair for new or casual players, but it ruins group strategies and ambushes.

ZOS should either remove the data from the API or ensure everyone can have access to the data by default - i.e. without having to download an obscure addon from an obscure fansite.
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kutsuu Good to see another melee bow user. Pretty rare play style.
    Edited by susmitds on December 26, 2016 6:32PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    @Kutsuu Good to see another melee bow user. Pretty rare play style.

I loled and then i died a little inside.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthg wrote: »
    You make it sound as if it's only gankers that disapprove of this addon.

Well I for one am the opposite of a ganker - I like playing out in the open - and I think this addon sucks bottoms.

Not only does it make the playing field even more unfair for new or casual players, but it ruins group strategies and ambushes.

ZOS should either remove the data from the API or ensure everyone can have access to the data by default - i.e. without having to download an obscure addon from an obscure fansite.

No - I am talking from the perspective of a ganker and looking for thoughts and strategies from other gankers. I'm sorry that you feel so left out. You should definitely feel abused since there aren't half a dozen other threads discussing the complaints and implications surrounding this addon for you to feel included in.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • TreeHugger1
    TreeHugger1
    ✭✭✭
    Good job OP, thanks to you my paranoia will not disappear.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job OP, thanks to you my paranoia will not disappear.

Lol. what's PvP in this game again? Oh right it's people either using proc set to get effortless kills or people that are boarder line cheating with a add-ons.

People cry about proc set ganker for obvious reasons. Gankers cry about add-ons like this because they feel like they now have to be more involved with getting kills instead of just popping out and boom you'er dead.

All of the above is why I haven't spent much time at all PvPing in this game lately.
  • Aztlan
    Aztlan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kuutsu, you are the best. Now this one can pounce and slash with a smile again.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kutsuu wrote: »
    Using Ambush does give them around 1/3rd of a second in which they could react

OMG What kind of shenanigans is this PvP where people get time to react!! Must suck for oceanic players though, if it's 200-300 ms :wink::blush:
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »

OMG What kind of shenanigans is this PvP where people get time to react!! Must suck for oceanic players though, if it's 200-300 ms :wink::blush:

You played daoc just like I did, how much time did you have to react to perf or crit shot before it hit? The element of surprise is certainly nothing new.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Xeniph
    Xeniph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're spot on Kutsuu. That is about all I have found to circumvent this addon.

On the plus side though, this addon has saved me so much magicka, no longer do I need to use Mark Target if I want to troll most players. I simply stand back and charge heavy attacks.

I can't stress enough how funny it is to watch people roll/block/buff frantically multiple times.

Also, it's really fun to whisper people on the stealthed list things like " I see you" LOL. Sadly though, Mark still remains the most effective way to troll a NB.
    Edited by Xeniph on December 26, 2016 11:54PM
    Here since Beta.

Characters: All of them, both Stamina and Magicka.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You da real MVP, Kutsuu.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    it sucks that the majority of gankers cant think of the addon in a positive light or as a challenge. Everyone wants it easy nowadays
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You played daoc just like I did, how much time did you have to react to perf or crit shot before it hit? The element of surprise is certainly nothing new.

DAoC stealthing required positioning styles and if you failed your gank you were toast. Bladeturn was a reliable defense against any bowattack.

Eso ganking has NONE of the drawbacks daoc ganking had whjle also being a lot more potent in terms of killing power.

In daoc you always had the chance to fight back if purge was up.
    Edited by Derra on December 27, 2016 10:21AM
    <Noricum>

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This discussion isn't to commiserate and complain about the addon - there are half a dozen other threads where that topic is being discussed. This thread is to discuss strategies and counters that we have discovered. Please feel free to add anything you've discovered and I will consolidate your quotes in the main post.

I'm still ganking people who use this addon. People have gotten so confident with it that they have actually made it easier on me by not running radiant magelight anymore, not keeping their buffs up when they don't see anyone around on their counter, and just generally being more confident and less paranoid than before.

First, you won't show up on their counter unless you leave/enter crouch. You can buff, even cast magelight right next to them where they can hear it, and you don't show up on the counter. The only events that I know of which will cause you to show up on their counter have to be done outside of crouch (mounting, going into crouch, sprinting).

Second, they only get the heavy attack alert if you focus your target reticle on them while charging it. I simply point away from them while charging it up - then once I do point my reticle at them THEY DO NOT GET AN ALERT!!! The alert only seems to trigger when someone STARTS charging a heavy attack while you are targeted by them.

Using Ambush does give them around 1/3rd of a second in which they could react before it lands because it has a short channel/cast time before hitting that will cause a stealth alert to go off. The channel is actually 1/2 second, but due to latency they won't get the alert exactly 500ms before it hits, it's closer to ~300-350. The most reliable option is to release your bow heavy attack in melee range and immediately incap. They have literally ZERO warning here and no possibility to react ahead of time. However, I have had only a few very prepared players manage to block my Ambush after getting the warning for it... so I still use it a lot.

Another option is the "cry wolf" strategy. Stand 25-30m away from your target who you suspect is using the addon, and just charge/swing melee heavy attacks at them. They will get an alert at the beginning of every heavy channel, and for the first dozen or so alerts they will flip out, waste their stam buffing, blocking, dodge rolling, wasting their detect potions, etc. Eventually they think you're trolling them and stop defending. This is when you actually do strike and kill them, then teabag.

Anyway, I'm kinda enjoying people using this addon. It adds an extra element of strategy to ganking, and an extra element of rage to the victim who thinks they are safe.

This one was worried about that addon, but now this one is like : Muuuuuhheeehhehehheheeeeeeeeeeeeeee :smiley:

ktQ6fSc.jpg

o79wo8a.jpg

Maoimii
    Edited by altemriel on December 27, 2016 10:24AM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what a MMO is about (at least pvp), finding counters to different things. You OP is my rolemodel :)
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Khajiit has to say again,

qTLZqmx.jpg
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

DAoC stealthing required positioning styles and if you failed your gank you were toast. Bladeturn was a reliable defense against any bowattack.

Eso ganking has NONE of the drawbacks daoc ganking had whjle also being a lot more potent in terms of killing power.

Lol the games mechanics are far too different to nit pick the differences this much - the rock/paper/scissors dynamic of tanks/assassins/casters, melee range interrupts of casting, the lack of gap closers... but I guess I'll take the bait.

Let's keep in mind that only a small handful of classes could recover their health or protect themselves the way that every single player in this game can. Being ganked to a sliver of your life in that game meant you were toast in 99% of cases unless you were one of the few lifetap or healing classes and got enough distance to cast uinterrupted, but in this game a sliver of health is not nearly enough and immediately amounts to a failed gank - you can shield/heal to full within a couple of seconds. The dynamics of health bars in this game are vastly different. Burst has to kill, it can't just greatly wound you to turn the tides of a fight. Of course I've always complained about the yo-yo health bars play style of this game but here I am still playing it.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Rilmarshim
    Rilmarshim
    ✭✭✭
    This is awesome :D. You also can put mark on them to make them panic more.
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Talos wrote: »
    This is awesome :D. You also can put mark on them to make them panic more.

Yeah I use magelight instead of mark (just don't have room for mark) so not as much an option for me. I do use mark on my mageblade though.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol the games mechanics are far too different to nit pick the differences this much - the rock/paper/scissors dynamic of tanks/assassins/casters, melee range interrupts of casting, the lack of gap closers... but I guess I'll take the bait.

Let's keep in mind that only a small handful of classes could recover their health or protect themselves the way that every single player in this game can. Being ganked to a sliver of your life in that game meant you were toast in 99% of cases unless you were one of the few lifetap or healing classes and got enough distance to cast uinterrupted, but in this game a sliver of health is not nearly enough and immediately amounts to a failed gank - you can shield/heal to full within a couple of seconds. The dynamics of health bars in this game are vastly different. Burst has to kill, it can't just greatly wound you to turn the tides of a fight. Of course I've always complained about the yo-yo health bars play style of this game but here I am still playing it.

And what would speak against sneakattacks applying unpurgeable 10s - 15s cost increases or heal debuffs or both in eso instead of having an instant death meta?

Also ganking in daoc was widely uneffective against grp players because a heal usually meant a failed gank. In ESO ganking is the biggest threat when playing in small grps because of instant death - the complete opposite of daoc again.

Also daoc offered active counterplay to ganking because sneak speed was slower than normal move speed (which is should be in eso aswell) and had a 90° attack window from in front of the victim. This lead to movement being an effective counter to getting PAd and with double quickcast usually meant a relatively save kill on anything but an infiltrator.
    I know because i´ve soloed with runemaster, spiritmaster, cabba and enchanter quite a bit.
    <Noricum>

• Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And what would speak against sneakattacks applying unpurgeable 10s - 15s cost increases or heal debuffs or both in eso instead of having an instant death meta?

Also ganking in daoc was widely uneffective against grp players because a heal usually meant a failed gank. In ESO ganking is the biggest threat when playing in small grps because of instant death - the complete opposite of daoc again.

Also daoc offered active counterplay to ganking because sneak speed was slower than normal move speed (which is should be in eso aswell) and had a 90° attack window from in front of the victim. This lead to movement being an effective counter to getting PAd and with double quickcast usually meant a relatively save kill on anything but an infiltrator.
    I know because i´ve soloed with runemaster, spiritmaster, cabba and enchanter quite a bit.

I'd be fine with them coming up with some kind of new system for this game. My point is simply that the advantage you got in daoc from opening on someone for 70% of their HP doesn't apply in this game as it stands. If i only do 70% of their HP, they are going to heal to full within moments and go on the offensive. It is 100% a failed gank at that point unless they are a potato.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be fine with them coming up with some kind of new system for this game. My point is simply that the advantage you got in daoc from opening on someone for 70% of their HP doesn't apply in this game as it stands. If i only do 70% of their HP, they are going to heal to full within moments and go on the offensive. It is 100% a failed gank at that point unless they are a potato.

Agree with that.
    But at the same time i don´t think instagib is a solution.

Reduced regeneration. Healdebuffs. Costincrease. Literally everything is better than instant death imo.
    <Noricum>

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been giving people pump-fakes before I gank too - it's hilarious when you charge a heavy at them from a distance and they start flopping around and warding, etc. Keep it up I say - I like it when you waste a bunch of resources and give yourself dodge roll penalty before I open up on you :trollface:

• Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with that.
    But at the same time i don´t think instagib is a solution.

Reduced regeneration. Healdebuffs. Costincrease. Literally everything is better than instant death imo.

Yep I agree. Wish they could come up with something.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Dorrino
    Dorrino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking in.

I'll sit here in the corner. Don't mind me:)

^_^
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    I've been giving people pump-fakes before I gank too - it's hilarious when you charge a heavy at them from a distance and they start flopping around and warding, etc. Keep it up I say - I like it when you waste a bunch of resources and give yourself dodge roll penalty before I open up on you :trollface:

This is effective against people that rely 100% on the add-on to save them. Against decent players you are just revealing your presence.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is effective against people that rely 100% on the add-on to save them. Against decent players you are just revealing your presence.

Which does nothing for them other than make them waste detect pots and effort on avoiding a gank. I love watching people waste their detect pots.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Which does nothing for them other than make them waste detect pots and effort on avoiding a gank. I love watching people waste their detect pots.

I disagree. For me, knowing a ganker is nearby is very helpful for a variety of reasons. From knowing an attack is potentially imminent to knowing that I am spotted if my group is trying to ninja a keep.

It's the difference between using the add-on as a survival crutch and using it for environmental information.
    Edited by timidobserver on December 27, 2016 10:38PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭

omfg! lollllll im going to do this
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree. For me, knowing a ganker is nearby is very helpful for a variety of reasons. From knowing an attack is potentially imminent to knowing that I am spotted if my group is trying to ninja a keep.

It's the difference between using the add-on as a survival crutch and using it for environmental information.

This isn't really something a ganker is going to do to a magicka templar running in a group/zerg. If you're running alone or standing near siege, something like that, sure.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB