The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Fear should auto cc break on damage

LuminaLilly
LuminaLilly
✭✭✭✭
Every other mmorpg does it
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with the way fear works, although I would rather cc break was generally more responsive. Do you have any other reasons for wanting it to break on damage? The only cc skill I can think of that does break on damage is sorcs rune cage/prison, but that will keep them cc'd for a long time assuming they take no damage and don't break free. I believe fear lasts about 5 seconds if not broken out of. Assuming cc break was reliable I don't see how fear is any different from other types off cc; it's just an imobilisation that requires a stamina investment to regain control of your character. It's actually the only cc that can work against the user if the feared player happens to run away from the opponents attacks.
    PC | EU
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with the way fear works, although I would rather cc break was generally more responsive. Do you have any other reasons for wanting it to break on damage? The only cc skill I can think of that does break on damage is sorcs rune cage/prison, but that will keep them cc'd for a long time assuming they take no damage and don't break free. I believe fear lasts about 5 seconds if not broken out of. Assuming cc break was reliable I don't see how fear is any different from other types off cc; it's just an imobilisation that requires a stamina investment to regain control of your character. It's actually the only cc that can work against the user if the feared player happens to run away from the opponents attacks.

Fear is a very powerful CC. It is also one of the CCs that is extra unreactive in breaking sometimes.

Also Aspect of Terror, which is what we all just call Fear, is an AoE CC (strong), AoE snare (strong), and AoE debuff via Minor Maim (strong). The movement it forces on you in a random direction can mess up your LoS as well in 1vX.

Let's not downplay Fear as a typical CC lol. We all know it isn't.

Imo that snare needs to be removed. Snares need to be removed from most abilities. I'm making a big thread about this pretty soon.

You are right though about CCs in general having issues because CC Break can be unresponsive. I don't think that'll ever be fixed though :disappointed:
    Edited by Vaoh on December 26, 2016 4:56AM
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I kind of agree. It should be a defensive move, for you to buff up or reposition. It's lasts ridiculously long and many times it doesn't even show you're feared until a second later, making it seem like your character just wasn't responding.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

Fear is a very powerful CC. It is also one of the CCs that is extra unreactive in breaking sometimes.

Also Aspect of Terror, which is what we all just call Fear, is an AoE CC (strong), AoE snare (strong), and AoE debuff via Minor Maim (strong). The movement it forces on you in a random direction can mess up your LoS as well in 1vX.

Let's not downplay Fear as a typical CC lol. We all know it isn't.

Imo that snare needs to be removed. Snares need to be removed from most abilities. I'm making a big thread about this pretty soon.

You are right though about CCs in general having issues because CC Break can be unresponsive. I don't think that'll ever be fixed though :disappointed:

Fair points, I didn't know about the snare, never actually noticed, I also forgot it was aoe. My reason for not seeing it as much different from other ccs is purely the way I feel about it when it's used against me; personally I hate fossilize and reverb bash much more than fear, from a sorc perspective. Fear rarely seems to be the cause of death for me.
    PC | EU
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    I kind of agree. It should be a defensive move, for you to buff up or reposition. It's lasts ridiculously long and many times it doesn't even show you're feared until a second later, making it seem like your character just wasn't responding.

There are sets and CP abilities that mitigate how long the fear lasts.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Vaoh Please make your thread more specifically about gap closer snares.
    PS4 NA DC
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JDar wrote: »

People shouldn't have to gear up based on one broken CC. Stamblade is currently my main and sometimes it just feels unfair when I can land multiple surprise attacks on a person who's all out of stamina. At best they need to lower the duration of the CC
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDar wrote: »

People shouldn't have to gear up based on one broken CC. Stamblade is currently my main and sometimes it just feels unfair when I can land multiple surprise attacks on a person who's all out of stamina. At best they need to lower the duration of the CC

Well thats the persons own fault for not managing their stamina properly.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, fear being a 4.5s CC that can hit up to 3 people is strong. Let's keep in mind that all classes have strong abilities that might make you feel jealous if you don't have it. It can be used offensively, but I more often use it defensively. Since Fear doesn't do damage, I'm usually more successful in bursting people with 3s stun from Incap or a 4s one from a cloaked SA because the CC does damage (you can cancel a heavy into SA from cloak and still get the stun).

As far as "feeling bad" that you can hit someone multiple times when you CC them and they are out of stam... All my builds can kill someone in a CC if they let themselves run out of stamina and take the full duration. My stamsorc can spam Rapid Strikes for up to 19 seconds on someone who doesn't break rune cage - or in 2h spec can do more than a full health bar in the 3.5s of an unbroken dizzying swing. If you don't break toppling charge on my Magplar I can get 2 full sweeps (that tend to do 6-10k dmg a cast before Skoria or Grothdarr procs are considered) and start casting jesus beam.

A big part of this game is managing resources, and especially stamina. Experienced players that I go against never run out of Stamina needed to break a CC. They just don't, simply because they've learned to maintain enough stam to CC break at all times.

Now the problem with CC break being unresponsive is a different matter all together. I have this issue with all CCs including fear. There is often a 1-3 second delay in which you are spamming CC break and it just doesn't go off. I hope they can find a way to make the game more responsive in general. It often feels very clunky in PVP when compared to other action combat MMOs that I've enjoyed in the past.
    Edited by Kutsuu on December 26, 2016 7:56PM
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • LuminaLilly
    LuminaLilly
    ✭✭✭✭
    With like 2k mag regen i use stam pots and i can always cc break as a magsorc. Ppl in duels think i cheat because their fearspam doesnt work.
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say give nb a shield fix dark cloak and keep fear as is.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I despise Fear, making it break on damage will but make the CC portion of it moot because I almost always have multiple DoTs and me, standing in someone's ground AOE, have some random templar Jesus Beaming me, etc. It will break faster than I can press the CC key (which may not be a bad thing considering how unresponsive it it) and turn it into a short debuff.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just make it easier to break, like it should be:

I can't count the times I've had full stam and hit CC break repeatedly while my toon screams like an idiot..

Then it finally breaks on the fifth or sixth button press. And you're dead half of the time.

Can it please work on the first press?
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is the snare and the CC unresponsiveness, remove literally every snare in the game, and fix it so every cc is responsive, other then that fear is perfectly fine in every way, and pls make it easier on console or include a keyboard and mouse with the game, the controller is extremely inferior, i feel like if i learned the keyboard and mouse id be unstoppable with how limited the controller is. Btw it isnt nightblade bias, i dont even have fear on any bar on mine
    Edited by zuto40 on December 27, 2016 5:51AM
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g