The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lore? questions regarding Starting/tutorial zone & Lyris (spoilers obviously)

Kamatsu
Kamatsu
✭✭✭✭
Hi,

Hope this is the right place for these questions, they do revolve around the main quest... but more about the lore/thoughts on certain aspects.

I have to admit there's been a few things that have always puzzled me regarding the main quest of the game, and maybe they get explained somewhat and I missed it... but I recently re-did the tutorial and it reminded me of these questions.

1. Since we're a Soul Shriven in Coldharbor, and Molag Bar is so much more powerful that us (since we do not have the power of the divines or Merida's help at this time), how do we even escape?

I know after defeating the piddly monster he summons The Prophet cast's a spell which let us escape via the Anchor. However it's the whole beating of the whimpy monster that confuses me - yes I realize this is a game and the players have to be able to beat it to move on - Why would MB summon something so easily beatable?

If he squished us there and then and prevented The Prophet from returning to Nirn, he'd block the main (only?) way to actually stop his plan's... it seems crazy that he wouldn't summon the strongest force(s) to stop us? Or are we supposed to think we only beat the mob due to TP helping us out at that time?

2. The whole rescuing Lyris thing, since she swapped place with TP in the unescapable cell... how come when we do the mission we go to another part of Coldharbor to rescue her?

Is it ever explained in the game as to how she left the cell/prison? Or was that just left hanging with no explanation?

3. Since I've read that the Vestige is apparently immortal now, even after getting their sddoul back, any idea what happened to him/her after ESO?

I've read that because the Vestige is now apparently made of the same stuff that deadra are made of, they are effectively immortal... even after getting their soul back. So wouldn't this mean that in the times of Oblivion, Skyrim, the next TES game, etc they are still around? Are there any talks/lore/etc in any previous game about the Vestige? Or any indications in ESO itself as to what might happen in the future (ie a lore book pulled in from the future)?

Thanx in advance.
o_O
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1.) I don't believe it's spelled out, but Molag Bal is also known as the 'God of Schemes'--he presumably had plans that involved the Vestige getting out of Coldharbour, and some of his Dolmen dialogue supports this.

2.) Since the cell was meant to contain the Prophet and he's not there anymore, presumably the Daedra just moved her. With the Daedric invasion it's probably not that hard for them to grab some random living person and swap them with her.

3.) We don't know. Even though it takes place in the past this is the newest game in the series. Possibly when Elder Scrolls VI comes out there will be a lorebook on the topic? There usually is.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the reply.

1 - I knew he was also called the God os Scheme's, but hadn't really thought about it. I had never paid much attention to things said in Dolmen's... but I see your point now. I've done a few dolmens since you replied and listened to what was said, and your right... it does sound like he had plans for the Vestige when they got free.

2 - I hadn't even thought of that. You're right, they could have gotten some sucker that was in the worm cult to take the place of Lyris and stick her where they did. Or just any random person, assuming a condition of the swap isn't actively wanting to swap (altho even then, that can be induced/forced).

3 - I've never really been big on the lore, so while I have played the previous ES games, I've never actually finished them. lol Nor have I read any of the lore books in the games... I checked on UESP on the Vestige and saw nothing mentioned, but you never know what people will miss. Thought it worth asking anyways.
    o_O
  • SunfireKnight86
    SunfireKnight86
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Molag always wanted us to escape. I believe his long term goal was for us to cause instability back on Nirn. It's even possible he knew we would lead allied forces into Coldharbour for him to dispose of, he just didn't see us as a threat in the long run. (Which was his undoing) Think about it! By letting us go he found the amulet of kings, got the traitors out of his ranks, had us cull the weakest of his forces (a win by his estimation), gathered his enemies in one place where he nearly killed them all (the island before Coldharbour and Coldharbour itself). In the end he nearly won too. It took the combined forces of the mages guild, fighters guild, Meridia, her artifacts, an Ayelid king, the most powerful Wizard on the planet, the vestige, and the Five Companions to stop him. (And we still only stopped him for now)

It makes more sense with 1T than it did back in the day. Now there are no monster levels, but back then he sent a level 3 mob to stop his most precious prisoner from escaping.