Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Obtaining High Weapon Damage...

JustSnilloc
JustSnilloc
✭✭✭
From what I understand, 3k is a good goal number for DPS weapon damage. I can't seem to get my numbers close to that though, I'm not using potions/food/drink very often, but is that all I'm missing or is there something fundamental that I'm just not getting?

I have a CP220 Orc w/Two Handed (with the appropriate passives)
- I have two fighters guild abilities slotted, and Flawless Dawnbreaker as my ultimate (with appropriate passives)
- I have 67 points into mighty thus far.
- I have 50 points into stamina and have 23,000 or so.
- My weapon is purple CP160

Maybe some other stuff I'm overlooking too. Regardless, I know I could always use the warrior stone, equip Hunding's Rage, and do more max stamina enchantments, but I feel like my weapon damage is just too small for what other people say a DPS's damage should be.

1678 - Unbuffed
1944 - Buffed (two buffing skills)

What am I missing? Would food/drink/potions really make a huge difference? Would Hunding's Rage make the difference? Something else entirely?
[J.S.] The Lost King --->
http://justsnilloc.proboards.com/
http://justsnilloc.deviantart.com/
~ 0==={{:::::::::::::::x:::::::::::::::}}===0 ~
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CPs do not affect weapon damage (even if they are important to getting high numbers).

Having 3 weapon damage enchants on your jewelry, as well as using appropriate sets (Agility x3, 1x Kena is nice, Kena x2 as well but it requires a lot of pratice), having a gold weapon, and finally access to Major Brutality (+20% weapon damage) makes a huge difference. Just in case it isn't obvious, 5 piece medium armor is pretty much mandatory.

I would suggest using Night Mother Gaze or Hundings (slight preference for NMG) for PvE dungeons. With endgame organized groups, Twice born star is best, but requires a high uptime of Warhorn and works best for Khajiits.

The Warrior stone is a bad choice for PvE, as Thief and Shadow (critical chance / damage respectively) will literally always outperform Warrior, unless your base stamina + weapon damage is extremely low.

Health/Stamina food is the way to go to get the minimum amount of health to avoid most OS mechanics (and is actually enough for basically everything, given you know the mechanics). Don't forget that your damage directly scales from max stamina.
    Edited by Asmael on June 22, 2016 3:57PM
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hundings adds 285 weapon damage. I DW daggers Nightmothers, first set bonus is like extra %6 Weapon Crit. Molag Kena adds 129 weapon Damage. Gold weapons add like 300 WD. Agility jewelry, etc. and then food. Yes food helps. Weapon damage potions help........Maelstrom weapons all I'm lacking. I've heard All medium armor is better than 5/1/1 undaunted passive.
    Edited by kylewwefan on June 22, 2016 4:17PM
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You should gold out your final endgame weapons to maximize your base weapon damage, there is a large difference between purple and gold. DW gives higher damage than 2H which is desirable as a DPS, in PvE you can slot a Bow on the back bar for some DoT damage.

Adding weapon damage enchants to your jewelry will help a lot, shoot for robust/healthy agility or robust/healthy endurance if on a budget. 2 rings and 1 necklace, all with weapon damage enchants.

Adding weapon damage enchants to your back or front bar weapons will make a difference as well. You proc the enchantment with light or heavy attacks.

Hunding's rage is a good generic DPS set, you get max stam extra crit and nice weapon damage.

Aside from weapon damage and crit buffs, adding food will raise your max stamina and therefore your damage output. Skills like camouflaged hunter will give you weapon crit, and rearming trap will add minor force.

Generic advice.
    Edited by OdinForge on June 22, 2016 4:01PM
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Hunding + 1 Kena + 3 Dreugh King + 3 Agility jewelry + Weapon damage enchants on jewelry.

At least 5 pieces of medium armor with +12% weapon damage passive.

Plus your weapons have to be upgraded to gold CP160, not purple CP160. Gold weapons are worth 200+ more weapon damage than purple at CP160.

Dual Wield daggers with passives is more weapon damage and more weapon critical than Two-Handed.

Food, drink, stamina enchants, Mighty star, etc., have zero impact on weapon damage stat. Potions that give you Major Brutality buff increase weapon damage 20%, but it is same buff available from Rally, Hidden Blade, Igneous Weapons, and maybe a few other skills that I am forgetting. They will not stack, so you cannot do Rally + potion to get 40% extra weapon damage. You only need it once. Whether you get it from potions or a skill does not really matter.

Also, bear in mind that weapon damage is not a calculated stat indicating how much damage you do. That is why food and stamina enchants and Mighty star have no impact on it. Weapon Damage is just one of many independent stats that all feed into actual damage done. Having really high weapon damage, but weak weapon critical or low max stamina, is not good either.
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I understand, 3k is a good goal number for DPS weapon damage. I can't seem to get my numbers close to that though, I'm not using potions/food/drink very often, but is that all I'm missing or is there something fundamental that I'm just not getting?

I have a CP220 Orc w/Two Handed (with the appropriate passives)
    - I have two fighters guild abilities slotted, and Flawless Dawnbreaker as my ultimate (with appropriate passives)
    - I have 67 points into mighty thus far.
    - I have 50 points into stamina and have 23,000 or so.
    - My weapon is purple CP160

Maybe some other stuff I'm overlooking too. Regardless, I know I could always use the warrior stone, equip Hunding's Rage, and do more max stamina enchantments, but I feel like my weapon damage is just too small for what other people say a DPS's damage should be.

1678 - Unbuffed
    1944 - Buffed (two buffing skills)

What am I missing? Would food/drink/potions really make a huge difference? Would Hunding's Rage make the difference? Something else entirely?

Get all cp160 gear divines trait with Hunding rage / Night mother, Enchant your jewelry with Increase Wep damage (agility set will give you an extra set of increse damage as well), and use Dual Wield swords (increases damage). Put all of your CP into Mighty first, then put 40-50 into Critical strike and rest into thuarmage. Also do NOT USE the warrior stone, you can get the weapon damage with gear or buffs. Don't waste your mundus on that, instead do the Theft stone which increases critical rating by up to 20% if you have all divines. You want to aim for 3000+ weapon damage with 70%+ critical chance.

I'm hitting 4600 fully buffed, when my glyph of rage (increase wep/spell damage wep enchant) procs and I have the dual wield major buff on. unbuffed I'm at 3711 - 3798 depending on if I run 4 or 5 fight guild abilities on my main bar.

Me personally, I have excessive weapon damage. It'd be better for me personally to switch out hunding rage for full set of TBS so I can get the shadow stone too, which increases critical POWER. Which should boost my DPS, right now my baseline single target is 20k.

Master Debater
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    The changes to Nirnhoned trait also increases your weapon damage now.
  • Tylersoh
    Tylersoh
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong area my bad :D
    Edited by Tylersoh on December 21, 2016 12:23AM
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weapon damage glyphs on rings/neck
    Hundings 298 or whatever weapon damage
    Flawless Dawnbeaker 5% damage
    Gold weapon will add another 200 weapon damage

^ this is what you'd be missing.

HOWEVER keep in mind you should NEVER stack weapon damage as most damage is from other elements crit/crit damage so think about that when equipping hundings and going flat weapon damage.

Good luck
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648