Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Can only log in with one account

Bumblebeelzebub
Bumblebeelzebub
✭✭✭
Hi all,

My wife and I both play ESO. We each have our own accounts. There are two computers in our house and we have always been able to log into either of our accounts from either computer, until today.

Today I decided to format our laptop. Since reinstalling ESO my wife can't log into her account on that machine. The game automatically selects my account, and there appears to be no option to switch. This is a huge problem. There are times when one of us needs a specific computer to get work done, and so the other will use the laptop to play ESO. We need to be able to switch computers.

Why can no other account log into ESO on my fresh install?
  • Bumblebeelzebub
    Bumblebeelzebub
    ✭✭✭
    It's been suggested to me that I may have linked my Steam account to my ESO account during reinstallation. So...

- Could this be what's preventing my wife from signing into her account on this computer? (If so, WHY!?)

- Will unlinking my account help? If so, how do I do that?
  • SuperStarPL
    SuperStarPL
    ✭✭
    It's been suggested to me that I may have linked my Steam account to my ESO account during reinstallation. So...

- Could this be what's preventing my wife from signing into her account on this computer? (If so, WHY!?)

- Will unlinking my account help? If so, how do I do that?

The linking is the problem here, sadly, I needed to unlink my account and I talked with the support, but it is impossible to unlink. I have 2 accounts, and I found workaround on how to switch between them.

I assume you are using Windows and Steam version is downloaded.
    First, you need to locate your Steam installation, mine is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client

Then, make a shortcut to the desktop of game executable: either "eso.exe" or "eso64.exe" and launch that shortcut to login to the account that is not linked with Steam.

Hope this helps.
  • Bumblebeelzebub
    Bumblebeelzebub
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks SuperStarPL, I'm going to try this.

@ZOS , Is this (above) correct? Does this feature really exclude all ESO users but one from a machine? Linking accounts was a misclick during installation. Am I to understand that this is irreversible? That would be absurd. If not, can you shed some light on this problem? I don't seem to be alone, as a quick Google search reveals others with similar problems.

Maybe include a warning:

"Linking to your Steam account will irreversibly exclude all other ESO users from accessing their account with this machine."
  • SuperStarPL
    SuperStarPL
    ✭✭
    Here you can see my struggle with the support: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/304494/unlink-steam-account#latest, they responded that unlinking is not possible.
  • Daganerabus
    Daganerabus
    ✭✭✭
    Can I make a suggestion?
    Buy a ps4 console. :)
    You can have one copy of the game, BUT 16 ACCOUNTS on your playstation.

Its a wonderful, wonderful world.
    Just not in One-Tamriel!

:)