Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Potions for magika regen

Suter1972
Suter1972
✭✭✭✭
Maybe it’s the way I play but even with a 26K pool and buffed magika regen of just over 2K I can still find an empty pool if im sending out shards and spamming puncturing sweep while trying to solo a public dungeon and surrounded by mobs.

I infrequently need to rely on an emergency magika potion to keep myself going. If I don’t, and just rely on trying to do heavy attacks to regen some magika, I generally die as I only have 20K of health and light armour.

Unless someone can give me advice on how to preserve my magika pool when solo, whats the best potion to use to top it up quickly.
Edited by Suter1972 on December 16, 2016 8:59AM
Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You need at least 10k more magic that's for sure. I can't help anymore than that since I have rarely played a Templar. There's a deltia video though where he shows him soloing vet spindle. Try wearing engine guardian maybe?
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, list the gear you're wearing
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    36K magika? holy crap. How do I get that. I put all my points into magika.

Im wearing mix of Julie and seducer although I know dropped sets are better now.
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make sure all armor pieces are enchanted. Make sure you use the witches festival food (+health, +magicka and +magicka-regeneration).
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    Make sure all armor pieces are enchanted. Make sure you use the witches festival food (+health, +magicka and +magicka-regeneration).

yeah, have a mix of 'truly superb' magika enchanments on all my pieces. And I drink the witches brew (that was the buff I referred to).

My Mag regen is 1946 and my pool is 26K 'buffed'. Still seem to empty it quite easily though.

if im with another player who takes the pressure off a mob I can regen in a matter of seconds. its when im mobbed in a dungeon (old ors for eg) with 5 hagravens around me

• Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any CP? And if so, what have you invested them in?

With CP, have you put point's into Magician (under The Tower - green)? This reduced the cost of your spells, which is a needed thing for Templar's - the lower you can reduce the cost via this the better for you.

Also, what other skills are you using? What weapon? Armor?

- You can use the Channeled Focus morph of Rune Focus to give you increased magicka regen while you stand in it.
    - Equip Mage's Guild skill Magelight with the Magicka Controller passive for increased max magicka and magicka regen.

- Are you wearing at least 5 pieces of Light armor with it's passives maxxed out? As this adds a lot towards reducing cost and more regen.
    - If you have all 3 weights of armor, are you using the Undaunted Guild's 'Undaunted Mettle' passive? As this can give you +6% max magicka if you wear 1 piece of each armor weight.
    - Have you tried wielding a Destruction Staff with the Ancient Knowledge passive and adding staff heavy attacks into your rotation (to regen magicka)?
    - Since your wearing Seducer's, do you have it's 5-set bonus or Julie's 5-set bonus?

- What is your spell critical and penetration at? The more you have the less spells you need to cast to kill things.
    - With this in mind, do you have at least 30 points in The Apprentice CP (if you have CP)? This gives you +12% spell crit.
    - What trait(s) are you using on your weapon? Sharpened for increased spell penetration?

- Is your gear the max level you can wield ie if you have 160+ CP, is it lvl 50 cp 160 gear?
    - Is your gear white, green, blue, purple or gold quality?
    - The enchantments your using, what quality? White, Green, Blue, Purple or Gold?

If your gear isn't at the same level and blue quality, I'd advise getting max level gear you can wear of at least blue quality crafted - although purple would be better, even if using the same crafted-gear sets. Also, if your enchants are only white or green, replace them with blue or purple
    o_O
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kamatsu wrote: »
    Do you have any CP? And if so, what have you invested them in?

With CP, have you put point's into Magician (under The Tower - green)? This reduced the cost of your spells, which is a needed thing for Templar's - the lower you can reduce the cost via this the better for you.

Also, what other skills are you using? What weapon? Armor?

- You can use the Channeled Focus morph of Rune Focus to give you increased magicka regen while you stand in it.
    - Equip Mage's Guild skill Magelight with the Magicka Controller passive for increased max magicka and magicka regen.

- Are you wearing at least 5 pieces of Light armor with it's passives maxxed out? As this adds a lot towards reducing cost and more regen.
    - If you have all 3 weights of armor, are you using the Undaunted Guild's 'Undaunted Mettle' passive? As this can give you +6% max magicka if you wear 1 piece of each armor weight.
    - Have you tried wielding a Destruction Staff with the Ancient Knowledge passive and adding staff heavy attacks into your rotation (to regen magicka)?
    - Since your wearing Seducer's, do you have it's 5-set bonus or Julie's 5-set bonus?

- What is your spell critical and penetration at? The more you have the less spells you need to cast to kill things.
    - With this in mind, do you have at least 30 points in The Apprentice CP (if you have CP)? This gives you +12% spell crit.
    - What trait(s) are you using on your weapon? Sharpened for increased spell penetration?

- Is your gear the max level you can wield ie if you have 160+ CP, is it lvl 50 cp 160 gear?
    - Is your gear white, green, blue, purple or gold quality?
    - The enchantments your using, what quality? White, Green, Blue, Purple or Gold?

If your gear isn't at the same level and blue quality, I'd advise getting max level gear you can wear of at least blue quality crafted - although purple would be better, even if using the same crafted-gear sets. Also, if your enchants are only white or green, replace them with blue or purple

Thanks. yes im cp245 with all purple gear at max level.

I have the 5 light, 1 med and 1 heavy armour

5 julie (inc resto and destruction), the rest as seducer

I think I may get one of my guildies to have a look at my build and see what im doing wrong. I see some cp 561 simply walk up to mobs 1 hit and they die. Mines always a battle

all my cps are in in Tower (magician), Lady (light armour) and apprentice (blessed)

Not done any undaunted yet so no passives

just noticed my enchantments are all white (but say 'truly superb). I'll try and buy some purple ones.
    Edited by Suter1972 on December 16, 2016 11:24AM

• Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your recovery is ok, so perhaps you are running out quickly because your magicka pool is so low? I aim for about 38-40k on my templar, I also have about 2k regen and never run out... Perhaps you should try to increase your max magicka, as you will then do more damage, and so will kill things much faster. If you are taking a long time to kill things you will, ofc, use more magicka and so run out faster.
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your health is too high and magicka too low.

For overland PvE 16k health with food should be more than enough, specially if you are a Templar with access to Breath of Life.

You should aim for about 33k+ magicka with food.

You do that usually with all attributes points in magicka, or only 10 in health and the rest in magicka.
  • Eweroun
    Eweroun
    ✭✭✭✭
    - Undaunted passives
    - Mages Guild Passive
    - all points in magicka
    - use correct leveled gear with correct glyphs

> doing this you should easily atain 40K Magicka with at least 12-1300 recovery (which is defenitly enough for PVE)
    |Lunar Lattice - Guildmaster / Fullmoon group raidlead|
    |Potato Knights - former core member|
    |former dd-"The Phoenix Reborn", former raidlead "Omnia Vincit /Playdead"|

clears: vCrag HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM (+2) - vCR+3 - vSS HM
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 K health is fine, I would not go any lower for now. You can always lower it as you feel more comfortable in future.

Also you tend to find plenty of magicka potions from enemies here and there. They're not brilliant but get use to drinking them like water and that should help. If you know you're likely going to run into magicka store problems in battle, don't wait till you're low, drink your first potion when your magicka is at ~75% or so. Also investing in some alchemy passives that increase the duration of potion effects is handy.

If you can be anything, be kind.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Inner light from Mage guild skills ( while slotted will increase max magic )
    Structured entropy from Mage guild again ( will increase your max Heath and give you 20% extra spell damage
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Harness Magicka and channeled focus are great for helping with sustain. Also weaving attacks will help too.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Channeled focus if you're not using it.

Heavy attacks with resto if you don't already.

What do you mean by solo anyway? What exactly are you doing?
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Inner light from Mage guild skills ( while slotted will increase max magic )
    Structured entropy from Mage guild again ( will increase your max Heath and give you 20% extra spell damage

I will add that Inner Light also adds major prophecy (10% spell crit) and the faster things die, the less skills you need to use and in turn better sustain.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »
    Thanks. yes im cp245 with all purple gear at max level.

I have the 5 light, 1 med and 1 heavy armour

5 julie (inc resto and destruction), the rest as seducer

I think I may get one of my guildies to have a look at my build and see what im doing wrong. I see some cp 561 simply walk up to mobs 1 hit and they die. Mines always a battle

all my cps are in in Tower (magician), Lady (light armour) and apprentice (blessed)

Not done any undaunted yet so no passives

just noticed my enchantments are all white (but say 'truly superb). I'll try and buy some purple ones.

I may not be an expert, but I can see some issue's here that might help somewhat:

- Drop the Light Armor CP, the boost to physical resistance you get from that isn't really worth it imo
    - Better to switch to splitting between Hardy & Elemental Defender. These reduce incoming damage from both physical and magic/elemental sources. This will help you out more than the added physical from Light Armor CP
    - Ditch Blessed, or have 5-10 points in it at max. Unless your playing as a healer in a group... having high points in this is a waste.
    - You'd do much better with the points in Elemental Expert, which will greatly increase your damage. More damage = faster enemies die = less mana used
    - If you have 60+% Spell Critical, drop 10-20 points into Elfborn to boost the damage your criticals do.
    - What Mundus Stone do you use? Should go with Thief IMO for the boost to critical chance
    - If you have no undaunted, are you still leveling Medium and/or Heavy armor? If not, I'd suggest ditching them for 7 light armor to maximize the LA passives. If you find yourself needing more physical resistance, equip a heavy chest armor.
    - How have you allocated your attribute points? Should be all in Magicka, or at least most. I've personally gone 15/49... but I am going to likely change that as I get more CP. Only invested in health as I was dying a bit (this was early on, prior to One Tamriel & b4 I hit lvl 50)... so points in health helped, but no longer really need them. So if you have points in Health/Stamina... I'd consider switching them to Magicka.
    - 'Truly Superb' just means they are CP160 enchantments. You'll still get much more magicka by going to higher quality enchantments.
    - What jewelry do you have equipped? stats & quality?

Edited by Kamatsu on December 17, 2016 6:48AM
    o_O