The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

My Biggest Issue with Crown Store ONLY Motifs

Panda_iMunch
Panda_iMunch
✭✭✭✭
The only way I can craft a motif I paid $20 for, is to pay money indefinitely. If I was to use this motif for as long as the game lasts, I would be paying another sub fee (in essence).

Sure, I can get some stones back, but only some. I would eventually lose all my stones and would have to pick up another pack of mimic stones... and another and another. I love the Stalhrim motif, but I already pay a sub fee, I don't want another.

What do you guys think?

Little video about my thoughts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr1B1rRebEI
Edited by Panda_iMunch on December 18, 2016 2:07AM
Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
Twitch: Pandalius
Beam: Pandalius
Twitter: Pandalius
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Totally with you on this one , I bought it too but now have to buy more mimic stones :(
    Options
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grim harlequin style materials were selling for 8k each on PS4. I got my hands on maybe 5-6. Used half of them plus a few of my mimic stones to craft a set for someone and stayed with 3 of them. I regret not getting more. Part of the reason they were available was because 54 mimic stones was a lot more than people needed when they bought the GH motif. Unfortunately, I don't think that we will be seeing either of the style materials for reasonable prices now, since people will need to store for their own use.
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »
    The grim harlequin style materials were selling for 8k each on PS4. I got my hands on maybe 5-6. Used half of them plus a few of my mimic stones to craft a set for someone and stayed with 3 of them. I regret not getting more. Part of the reason they were available was because 54 mimic stones was a lot more than people needed when they bought the GH motif. Unfortunately, I don't think that we will be seeing either of the style materials for reasonable prices now, since people will need to store for their own use.

I can't imagine what the prices for this will be. It will certainly be more common, but the fact people have to pay $10-$20 for each pack of stone they need to use on their gear is pretty sad imo
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do see your point - hadn't though about the fact that you need mimic stones to make Crown Store only motifs. I purchased the Grim Harlequin 'cuz I really liked it, and it came with 54 mimic stones. At 2200 Crowns, that was cheaper than you could purchase the stones individually (2400 Crowns).

I see that the Stahlrim motif is 2000 Crowns. Does it also come with 54 mimic stones, or is it less? Also, I see that mimic stones are on sale right now, too.

Regardless, it's true that to really use these motifs, you have to keep coming back for more mimic stones.
    Options
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how I rationalized it...

Some person out there is willing to pay $20 real life dollars for 54 mimic stones, make them into GH pieces, and decon them for a chance at getting the material to sell for 10k each. At most they'll make about 540,000 gold. So the money to gold conversion is about $20 for half a million. It's much less than what they'd get from a gold seller (at least from what I've seen from those pesky ads that people spam in area chat), but it's legitimate.

I'm disgusted that people would have that kind of money to spend. I'm disgusted that ZOS would allow such legitimate money to gold transactions occur.

The solution: be generous with the mimic stones in these bundles (stick with 54 per motif and 2.2k price tag) and make the armor that is crafted in that style bound to the player so they cannot sell to others. Similarly, make the style material that can be deconned bound to the player. But I guess that wouldn't sell as much, which is why it's so disgusting.

Edit: Another solution: make the style materials accessible in-game for no problems.

Most of us are just buying because we want to have all the motifs for collectors value...
    Edited by Pandorii on December 15, 2016 9:49PM
    Options
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    I do see your point - hadn't though about the fact that you need mimic stones to make Crown Store only motifs. I purchased the Grim Harlequin 'cuz I really liked it, and it came with 54 mimic stones. At 2200 Crowns, that was cheaper than you could purchase the stones individually (2400 Crowns).

I see that the Stahlrim motif is 2000 Crowns. Does it also come with 54 mimic stones, or is it less? Also, I see that mimic stones are on sale right now, too.

Regardless, it's true that to really use these motifs, you have to keep coming back for more mimic stones.

Comes with 5 mimic stones , so guess I'm going to have to buy more
    Options
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Comes with 5 mimic stones , so guess I'm going to have to buy more

I was afraid of that when I saw that the mimic stone packs were all on sale. Wow, what a difference from the Grim Harlequin, which was only 200 Crowns more but came with 54 stones. I guess they aren't selling enough mimic stones. But only 5? Sheesh, why not at least 12?
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »
    The solution: be generous with the mimic stones in these bundles (stick with 54 per motif and 2.2k price tag) and make the armor that is crafted in that style bound to the player so they cannot sell to others. Similarly, make the style material that can be deconned bound to the player. But I guess that wouldn't sell as much, which is why it's so disgusting.

Edit: Another solution: make the style materials accessible in-game for no problems.

Most of us are just buying because we want to have all the motifs for collectors value...

Another solution, they could still make money off of it if they allowed people to acquire the gems in the world. Hell, they could even just make it a ESO+ thing and allow people to use any gem on any gear piece (or something of that nature).
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No style is worth paying real money IMO. No matter how good it looks, we have plenty of free styles that also look good. Buying crafting items from the crown store only encourages zos to put more items in and maybe more exclusives as well.My sub is enough. zos gets nothing else from me. If other players value customized appearance enough to pay for it, so be it, but with all the free costumes, styles, and dyes, there are more than enough options to suit me.

th?&id=OIP.M9e7dff30160eebfa6a6bafff1e15f573o0&w=259&h=190&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

But you don't have to pay for it.

th?id=OIP.Md2812093597d9b4faafa0e02c615195fo0&w=267&h=176&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.1
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It only come with 5, but they put mimic stones on sale for 1800 crowns, yeah. First motif 2200 crowns, this motif 3800 crowns basically.

So yeah 200 crowns less for the motif but 1800 crowns more to use it.
    Options
  • BloodWolfe
    BloodWolfe
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree!

I was about to purchase this motif (would be the first one as I am not really a fan of crown store exclusive motifs but that aside...) finding out it requires the crown mimic stones pretty much turned me away from this purchase. ZOS I stopped supporting and buying/playing all EA games because of their ridiculous rip off business practices, stop turning this game into something like EA!

This is ridiculous! No money from me for this now!
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stopnaggin wrote: »
    So yeah 200 crowns less for the motif but 1800 crowns more to use it.

It's quite irritating to see that the player would have to spend 3,800 crowns to essentially get the GH motif all over again. Pretty disheartening.
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • Heartwork
    Heartwork
    Soul Shriven
    I Feel Royally screwed over!
    i bought this pattern only to find out it cant be crafted unless i spend more money!
    Where can i ask for my crowns refunded??

Nowhere is this mentioned when buying the motif!

I spend lots of money on this game, and im fine with doing so.
    But being forced to buy stones to craft a motif is very much not ok!
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heartwork wrote: »
    i bought this pattern only to find out it cant be crafted unless i spend more money!

I doubt you can request a refund as everything in the package was mentioned. Doesn't mean that this sham of a motif sale isn't possibly the worst so far.
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • Heartwork
    Heartwork
    Soul Shriven
    Heartwork wrote: »

I doubt you can request a refund as everything in the package was mentioned. Doesn't mean that this sham of a motif sale isn't possibly the worst so far.

no it didnt, if i knew i wouldnt be able to craft it without buying these silly stones i would have never bought the motif XD
    basically wasted 2k crowns

at least im gonna try to inform people about this ingame, so they dont make the same mistake.

Making a nice macro for it and all.
    Edited by Heartwork on December 16, 2016 8:45PM
    Options
  • Jerezad
    Jerezad
    Soul Shriven
    This is a really shady deal. I was actually excited to purchase this motif and figured the Crown Mimic Stones were just to help you get started until you farmed up some Stalhrim Shards from some source in the game. I had no idea you were going to try to gouge us for additional crowns for Mimic stones rather than offer an in-game source for the style shards. I'd rather lose the motif and have my crowns back. This was a very deceptive practice on your part and I'm more than a little disappointed.
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jerezad wrote: »
    This is a really shady deal. I was actually excited to purchase this motif and figured the Crown Mimic Stones were just to help you get started until you farmed up some Stalhrim Shards from some source in the game. I had no idea you were going to try to gouge us for additional crowns for Mimic stones rather than offer an in-game source for the style shards. I'd rather lose the motif and have my crowns back. This was a very deceptive practice on your part and I'm more than a little disappointed.

It kinda is deceptive on their part. If the reducing of stones came with the possibility of grinding the stones, I would be fine with them, but no. I have to spend money indefinitely to make my gear.
    Edited by Panda_iMunch on December 17, 2016 11:47AM
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your updated guide is not accurate. Mimic Stones are currently on sale, the sale is 25% off the original cost .....
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Balibe wrote: »
    Your updated guide is not accurate. Mimic Stones are currently on sale, the sale is 25% off the original cost .....

Righty, looks like I wont do parody again. Too serious I suppose.

I did mention that in the video at around 3:40, almost verbatim what you said.
    Yeetus that fetus

Options