Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Daily writs - Waste of materials.

Cozzy1991
Cozzy1991
✭✭✭
Really disappointed with max level crafting writs. The rewards are worth less than the materials you spend crafting the items. I know there's "surveys" and "tempers" but I'm lucky getting 1 tempering alloy a week between 6 characters doing writs daily. Its almost as though my accounts RNG is complete trash.....just like my vMA drops....#conspiracy
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    About the only ones I bother to do anymore are the provisioning writs. Those I have more than enough mats for, and on the occasions I get frost merriam, in rewards, its worth it.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive got plenty of mats so I dont mine the odd chance of getting a gold upgrade mat
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys:
    This issue has been thoroughly looked at here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/302969/why-ill-never-do-another-level-50-crafting-writ#latest

Bottom line is writs are profitable.
    Cheers
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A stack of ingots is about 3-4K. From that, I'll get more than a few alloys out of the writs. One alloy alone more than covers the cost of the stack of ingots plus more
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found the overall return to be good since OneT Alloy rate feels up and the cost of then on Xbox makes it more than profitable. Either way its 20k xo, 4k gold on the writs and the boxes of low level stuff means I'm stocked up to help guild newbies etc

Psjic fragments on the other hand, I haven't seen since TG DLC!!
    Edited by Beardimus on December 12, 2016 12:23PM
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Delimber
    Delimber
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just after the glass motifs.
    Edited by Delimber on December 12, 2016 3:28PM
    Solo PvP and PvE most of the time.
    CP 2300+
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've found them to be very profitable overall.

My only issue is why have inspiration as a reward on the max level writs?
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find them quite profitable after 1t.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very profitable...agreed
  • Evil_Rurouni
    Evil_Rurouni
    ✭✭✭

2 reasons I can think of:

1/ Futureproofing.
    If they ever add another tier of mats and/or raise the crafting skill limit above 50 it might actually become useful.

2/ Avoiding making new bugs.
    If something is harmless and removing it might cause an unforeseen issue its usually best to leave it alone, and getting unneeded inspiration seems harmless enough to me.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

2 reasons I can think of:

1/ Futureproofing.
    If they ever add another tier of mats and/or raise the crafting skill limit above 50 it might actually become useful.

2/ Avoiding making new bugs.
    If something is harmless and removing it might cause an unforeseen issue its usually best to leave it alone, and getting unneeded inspiration seems harmless enough to me.

VERY good points! I had not considered your second one although it should ALWAYS be in the back of our minds.
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I typically get one yellow item per day of writs which equals 5-10 K depending on type (kutas - temp.). I always sell lower level shipments fast and always have enough materials to do all 6. Takes maybe 5 min to do then so def worth it for me. Heck I made 25k the other day by getting a psych ambrosia page as well.
    Edited by emily3989 on December 14, 2016 5:39PM
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only do the equipment writ on 3 characters. My gold mats supply are always growing. I typically get 3 gold mats per day. Before 1T have about 20 of each. Now it's about 30-40 alloy 90 wax 50 rosins. Its definitely worth it.
  • Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not on the PS4. The returns are absolute pants. Maybe get an alloy every 3rd or 4th writ at best.
    Refining is actually a better return, I usually average an alloy every 120-150 ore refined. Saying that though, I refined 700 in one go and got zip and the next day, I refined 100 and got 3.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At CP cap on a master crafter they are really only beneficial now if you want to build up a supply of gold improvement items. As someone who does not farm for raw material, I find I get a reasonable return rate of gold improvement items (about 1 in 3 writs) when I do them on 5 or 6 characters a day. Yes it is time consuming but better than farming for me.

I would like to see a greater rate of survey maps from doing them but otherwise they are currently more trouble than they are worth for me.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawco10 wrote: »
    Not on the PS4. The returns are absolute pants. Maybe get an alloy every 3rd or 4th writ at best.
    Refining is actually a better return, I usually average an alloy every 120-150 ore refined. Saying that though, I refined 700 in one go and got zip and the next day, I refined 100 and got 3.

You do realize that the drop rate is about 30% for gold mats???
    That means you should get one every 3 or 4 writs....that applies to PC,Xbox,PS4 etc
    Refining drop rate for gold mats is 5% or 1 gold mat for every 200 ore you refine.

These are AVERAGES, so sometime you will get more, some less.

So you would rather spend hours gathering resources to refine than 5-20 minutes a day doing writs (depending on how many crafters you have)....OK have fun!
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Two days ago, I got a gold mat and survey from 3/4 boxes. (Wood gave me basic stuff, got Rosin next day.)

You need to stick with it for a month or so, to even out the rng chances. More peaks than valleys will show in the return on your investment on a longer timeline.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I've found the overall return to be good since OneT Alloy rate feels up and the cost of then on Xbox makes it more than profitable. Either way its 20k xo, 4k gold on the writs and the boxes of low level stuff means I'm stocked up to help guild newbies etc

Psjic fragments on the other hand, I haven't seen since TG DLC!!

Regarding Psijic Ambrosia recipe fragments, I, too, endured a long drought. I think I went close to a year but just about the time that One Tamriel was released (that is, just before AND just after) the skies rained them. Well, maybe it was little more than a drizzle. Anyway, I received at least five or six fragments for my various producers. Nothing since then but there was a comeback of sorts.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I have not seen a psijic recipe fragment since 1T dropped and I do provisioning writs on 6 characters nearly every day.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.