Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is it worth upgrading quality of items you're going to sell?

Twohothardware
Twohothardware
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been farming several sought after set items planning to keep the best for myself and sell the rest and I'm wondering if it's profitable to upgrade the quality of the armor or weapons first before listing them in the guild store, specifically the ones with sought after traits like Impen and Divines, or is the price difference minimal in comparison to the cost of the tempers?
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even though gold gain is not really that big, but it looks like purple is sold faster.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure but we had plenty of people trying to scam others by taking dropped wooden weapons to gold (Rosin is the least expensive gold improvement material) and then trying to sell them for ludicrous sums to unsuspecting players who have no crafters and have no idea of the actual cost of improvement.

People do get a bit starstruck over gold items.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trait matters the most but I've found that listing items below purple isn't all that effective. I pretty much always upgrade what I sell to at least blue so it doesn't just sit around.

As a consoler with no add ons I usually use this pricing model.

Old set blue: 1000
    Old set purple: 2000
    New set blue: 4000
    New set purple: 5000

Of course I'm not talking about things like sharpened spinner swords here. Always price check all items in your largest trade guild before you sell a 500k item for 2k.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its kind of a double edged sword. A Green or Blue item will sell, only for a low price, even in the desired traits. But, some items will sell for a decent price if you go to Purple on, some will sell for less than the cost of the Tempers.

Since I am in the 4 figures for Blue and Purple Tempers, I improve everything to Purple that I sell anyway, just some that get listed for less than Temper Cost, some for a lot more. But, since I did not pay for these Tempers I don't see it as money lost. I don't ever sell my Tempers so its not money lost that way either.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After having a look to see if the purple version of the item is already selling for more than the blue+cost of improvement items, I'll improve and list at purple.

There was one hot set item I had that I noticed was selling for a couple hundred thousand gold in the gold version, so I used a dreugh wax to improve my purple one to gold and listed for that price and it sold within a couple hours.
    I would have gotten like 50k for it in purple but made off with over 200.

Since then the prices have dropped drastically on that set - but you know, supply and demand.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When i buy i dont pay more for color. I can upgrade myself so i take the cheapest at the level and trait i want.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• nodulo
    nodulo
    ✭✭✭
    I'm completely with @STEVIL on this one and this is purely my own perspective. And only one small exception*.

I can't sell blue mats for the life of me and gave up a while ago on 2/3 purple mats and don't even break green/blue/purples down. *barring grain solvent which I sell 5-600g per purple mat for. Trader slots are far to valuable for items under 500g to me.

If I buy an item I do not care what color it is green/blue/purple they all will be the same result 99% of the time going legendary.

So, the only exception for myself is if a blue metal item and a purple metal item are the exact same price and exact same item I would choose the purple and only in this case. Bearing in mind this is only approx. a 2-2.4k gold difference.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been farming several sought after set items planning to keep the best for myself and sell the rest and I'm wondering if it's profitable to upgrade the quality of the armor or weapons first before listing them in the guild store, specifically the ones with sought after traits like Impen and Divines, or is the price difference minimal in comparison to the cost of the tempers?

great thread @Twohothardware :) ...I like to spend all my time playing...and minimize my time pricing out everything...so, I sell stuff as is - with 8 active characters, I have a lot of stuff to sell...

no question I'm leaving money on the table, but, it minimizes my time spent playing the merchant game, keeps my inventory somewhat manageable, plus, I still rake in around 30k or so coins a week...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never bought anything other than jewelry because of the quality level. If it's the set I want, I will buy it as cheap as possible and upgrade it myself.

Unless it is a custom order, it's not worth upgrading anything before putting it in the guild stores. And never craft a set with the purpose to sell it in a guild store. It's just a waste of materials.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The quality almost never matters. Many people make the mistake of golding out gear thinking they'll be able to ask a lot for it, when in reality people will do their own shopping of cheaper upgrade mats.

The only price difference you will see is between gold gear vs anything below. And the only way you will sell a gold item is if the price of that golded out item saves them money on the alloys/wax they would have had to buy to upgrade it themselves. This means that you, the seller, end up losing profit on gold mats you could have just sold separately for a higher price.

When it comes to jewelry, color does affect the price greatly. Green and blue will sell for about the same, which is almost nothing.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will only go as far as purple, some people are still star struck with color. Most people when they search, they search for an item in a certain quality. So while I do upgrade sellable items, only a few like sharp spinner sword, I don't buy them in that quality. I have flipped some pieces just by upgrading. So it really depends on the piece,