The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

3 Questions for Zos (Esports)

WeylandLabs
WeylandLabs
✭✭✭✭✭
With the International Olympic Committee’s approval, the International eGames Committee held a pop-up competition at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The event occurred months after the International eSports Federation – a would-be global organizing body backed by Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba – formally contacted the IOC on how to pursue inclusion as an Olympic sport

We could see esports become an official part of the Olympic Games by 2020. The International e-Sports Federation (IeSF), a South Korean organization, has received a response from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) outlining the process and next steps to allow esports to be recognized as an Olympic sport.

With that said, obviously ESO (ZOS) doesn't really contend for any type of gameplay that would support the fairness of an MMO. (Right now) via Updates, Patches, DLCs, Maintenance etc, etc.

My Questions : Does the Elder Scrolls Online, Zos plan on being recognized as a fair competitive MMO to compete in this higher category of gaming in the future for Pc, Console, PS5, XBOX Scorpio ?

Or will Zos Scratch ESO and focus on a new development of well balanced team or single player based MMO for this marvelous Franchise of Elder Scrolls Online ?

Does Zos even care about esports at all ?

After all It is the future of gaming...
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope our competition in trials will always be about competition, not money. Esports is, like every topsport, only about money.
    Edited by Woeler on December 12, 2016 3:56AM
    Options
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Woeler

The Olympics would be overseeing it, thus not being about money. I would assume country's on the other hand would hold events for money. And their is nothing wrong in being paid if your good at something.
    Options
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Woeler

The Olympics would be overseeing it, thus not being about money. I would assume country's on the other hand would hold events for money. And their is nothing wrong in being paid if your good at something.

Please... the whole olympics and the tralala around it is about nothing else but money. Building million dollars stadiums in cities like Rio were a significant amount of the people can barely find a place to sleep at night or food to eat. Yea, it's all about the goodwill I guess.
    Options
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The entire concept of e-"sports" is ridiculous. Competition absolutely. Skill involved, most certainly.

Sport? Not if I can do it while eating a Hot Pocket. Move over Lebron James, you're no athletic match for Deltia.

Anyway, I'd love to see the categories.

- Trial Speed
    - PVP kills
    - Most shields crafted in 20 minutes
    - Synchronized Tea-bagging
    - Coordinated Text Chat Insults

The possibilities are endless.
    Options
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Woeler

Major sports events such as the World Cup and the Olympics are often seen as a potential source of economic regeneration. Yet, many are worried about the economic costs of hosting a major sporting event that only lasts for three weeks, I can see your concern.

Obviously there are pros and cons to this. Let me explain since you didnt made this about how money is bad for some crazy reason.

Pro's

1. Encourages investment in transport and infrastructure

Major sporting events usually require upgrades to transport and communication links. This investment leaves a lasting legacy for the whole economy. Better transport links reduce congestion and help to improve efficiency for local business.

2. Influx of foreign visitors

A major sporting event like the Olympics can attract thousands of people for the duration of the games. These foreign tourists bring a boost to the local economy. In particular the local tourist trade, shops / hotels will benefit from the surge in visitor numbers.

3.Job creation

Major sporting events require investment in building stadium and hotels. This creates jobs for the local economy for up to 4 years before the event. These extra jobs help create a positive multiplier effect within the local economy. It is hoped that the London Olympics will help regenerate the east end of London. Some argue this temporary job boost can prove more permanent, if the economic regeneration continues after the games.

4. Higher economic growth

It is estimated that the ‘Olympics Effect’ leads to a boost in economic growth due to the higher investment and foreign visitors. This leads to higher tax revenues for the government

Con's

1. Expense

The cost of hosting a major sporting event has increased significantly in recent years. It includes, not only, all the investment but also the heightened security. It is hard to meet these costs through sponsorship and ticket sales alone. Therefore, it can lead to higher taxes for the local population.

2. Will the infrastructure be used in the future?

The Olympics requires a lot of investment, which may not necessarily be used in the future. Many custom built sporting events may not be used in the future. If they are not used, then it is an inefficient use of resources. Taxpayers will pay for the cost of building, but will get a poor return in terms of improved public services.

3. Disruption during the event

It is feared that during the Olympics there will be a disruption to local businesses not effected. For example increased security features make it more difficult to continue normal business.

Apperently It depends how much investment is required in the first place. Do all stadiums need to be built ? Can the stadiums and facilities be effectively used after the games ? Can firms keep to initial cost estimates ? Some sectors of the economy benefit much more than others. Good for tourism and hotel owners, but locals may feel they have more disruption.The host city may benefit the most, but the cost spread across the country, which doesn’t see the same benefits.

Plus this is about Gamers and thier skills to be good and being recognized as the best in the entire world. Team or Solo ... lol

If someone like basketball go outside and throw a few play with friends. Same with video games play with friends, but if that Nba player wants to play me id get desyroyed and he is a multimillionare.

Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there an esport for story telling? Beyond that ESO is a pretty run of the mill mmo. If the twitch numbers are anything to go by, there are not a whole lot of people all that interested in watching this game?
    Options
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vyndral13preub18_ESO

Exactly why I was asking Zos if they plan on releasing a well balanced DLC or possibly a brand new version of ESO, for team or solo pvp objectives. For me alot funner than time trials for pve players or like @danielpatrickkeaneub17_ESO said synchronized teabagging lol
    Options
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vyndral13preub18_ESO

Exactly why I was asking Zos if they plan on releasing a well balanced DLC or possibly a brand new version of ESO, for team or solo pvp objectives. For me alot funner than time trials for pve players or like @danielpatrickkeaneub17_ESO said synchronized teabagging lol

No matter how hard Zos tries (if at all) they will never balance pvp when they release fixes in 4 month intervals.
    Options
  • Valethar
    Valethar
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, 'esports' don't belong anywhere near the Olympics. There's absolutely nothing athletic about pounding a keyboard to death chasing pixels across the screen.

That said, ESO is barely functional on a good day, there's no way it would ever be a serious contender for any sort of competitive esports league play. ZOS would have to dump a mountain of cash into competent coders, server infrastructure, etc.. in order to bring it to that point. The bean counters and suits running the show will never let that sort of expenditure get past the nearest paper shredder, the thought of all that clown crate cash going anywhere but their own pockets would cause them to stroke out.
    Resistance is not futile! Say no to the Greed Collective™. Boycott Crown Crates.
    Options
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since the enormous lag, ESO could compete only in e-sports special Olympics. If you know what I mean.
    Options
  • AuldWolf
    AuldWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO (like every MMO) isn't actually a game that requires any real skill. I can't think of one. It's not tactical, it doesn't need much in teh way of reflexes, and there's nothing to memorise. Get the best gear and the game literally plays itself (which is an argument against gear in every MMO). So eSports don't really apply, here, do they?
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    E-Sport? Although Im a bit oldfashioned guy (IMHO sport requires phisical activity - playing with your mouse is not enough) I have to deal with evolution of our culture. But there is no MMO that can be arena for e-sport. Why? Simple reason: to much diversity and to many ways to cheat. In games like CS, LoL or Warcraft III everyone starts on the same terms and only your skills (maybe a bit of luck) will decide about you victory. Here we have to much possible combinations to divide it on some "weight categories". Its like trying to make car races, you can ride whatever you want but to make sure competition will be fair we will divide cars by HP. 20 year old truck and last year Ferrari have the same anount of HP so they can race! Yay...
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the International Olympic Committee’s approval, the International eGames Committee held a pop-up competition at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The event occurred months after the International eSports Federation – a would-be global organizing body backed by Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba – formally contacted the IOC on how to pursue inclusion as an Olympic sport

We could see esports become an official part of the Olympic Games by 2020. The International e-Sports Federation (IeSF), a South Korean organization, has received a response from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) outlining the process and next steps to allow esports to be recognized as an Olympic sport.

With that said, obviously ESO (ZOS) doesn't really contend for any type of gameplay that would support the fairness of an MMO. (Right now) via Updates, Patches, DLCs, Maintenance etc, etc.

My Questions : Does the Elder Scrolls Online, Zos plan on being recognized as a fair competitive MMO to compete in this higher category of gaming in the future for Pc, Console, PS5, XBOX Scorpio ?

Or will Zos Scratch ESO and focus on a new development of well balanced team or single player based MMO for this marvelous Franchise of Elder Scrolls Online ?

Does Zos even care about esports at all ?

After all It is the future of gaming...

No, no, and no. ZOS has hamsters running their servers, and a skeleton crews designing small dlcs and crown store items.

You think they are even thinking about esports? They can't fix the lag, balance their game, or even fix bugs that have been reported a long time ago. They didn't even build this game for esports. No spectator mode. No meaningful ranking/ladder system. No battlegrounds, and no online tracking system. They are trying to keep their heads above water, let alone thinking of esports. Their intent from the beginning was to focus on pve and the single player mmo experience.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
    Options
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Basement dwelling athletes. .....whatever next. "I owe my success to my mom for putting me up for 40 years, a hearty diet of snacks and redbull, my doctor my sorting my carpel tunnel out and to zos for not lagging me out on this rare occasion" kids you can grow up to be just like me.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Competition is bad for MMOs and incompatible with RPGs.

If you really, really must consider and promote eSport as a real sport, stick to MOBAs. Thank you :)

Options