The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Restyle items: Shouldn't crafting also be based on One Tamriel not just gathering?

NewBlacksmurf
NewBlacksmurf
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Today after One Tamriel ppl still can only craft based on the vanilla ESO. Not even Tamriel Unlimited.

Idea is that:

All materials should allow levels 3-CP 160 for creation. This opens up all the artwork for crafters to create.
Part two is now items that drop often are set based on location but their motifs don't vary much.

I do not consider transmogrify an option based on definition but I do consider "restyling " the appropriate option.

This means in order to "restyle" an item, the player needs to have the motif, the style stone (whatever name u want to use) and crafter passives they can restyle an item. Maybe materials should be required or just gold.

For other non-crafters, they should be able to have a player restyle something for them.
Since nothing exists now...I'm leaving this open for development ideas.

I'm not using transmorgrify because I don't believe items should only be magically changed. I believe it should involve a crafter restyling items.
Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 30, 2016 6:28PM
-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501

Restyle items: Shouldn't crafting also be based on One Tamriel not just gathering? 33 votes

Yes I agree crafting should be aligned with One Tamriel, and to add restyle
69%
wayfarerxNewBlacksmurfKendaricGigasaxIruil_ESOItsAraaubrey.baconb16_ESOItsGlaiveSoellaNebthet78magnusthorekDerNachtfalterRohausninjaguymanEdziuEnemy-of-ColdharbourSaoirse_SiobhanCaptainVenommr_wazzabishadowwraith666 23 votes
No, crafting and restyle ideas as it all should stay the same
0%
Yes to crafting and no to restyle
0%
No to crafting but yes to restyle
21%
ZakorGaldorPanitajoneb17_ESOElijah_CrowShader_Shibeslaksikustheher0not 7 votes
Other....
9%
idkRecremenessi2 3 votes
  • Braddec
    Braddec
    ✭✭✭
    I think what you are proposing would require a lot of coding changes. I'm not sure they'll ever commit to that. I posted this on another thread as an alternative that could accomplish a lot of what you're saying.

Someone brought up the idea of an appearance tab and it has some merit. They wouldn't need to alter current items, it would allow people to run whatever they want and give crafters a reason to collect all these motifs. It might even mitigate the desire for weapon dying as folks could choose say the voidsteel look of the weapon to replace the red weapons we're currently strapped with.

In several other MMOs it is implemented as a tab on the item sheet that mirrors the equipable slots. Items placed in the appearance slot would not have any of its stats applied but would overide the style visible on the slot.

Adding a slot in the dying stations for Appearance items would be a must as well.

Possibly making it so the disguise slot on the equipment tab override the appearance slots
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other....
    I think that the way armor appears on your body needs a total systems overhaul, similar to, and working in concert with, the costume system. Restyle items would be a poor substitute for such a system, as those are one-off, whereas the costume system is infinite use once you've invested the crowns into buying something. I'm much more of a fan of paying a higher price a single time and then getting infinite uses out of it.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the level of the gear was not determined by the material, what would it be determined by, and what would the point of different materials be? Yes I think restyling should be a thing.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    If the level of the gear was not determined by the material, what would it be determined by, and what would the point of different materials be? Yes I think restyling should be a thing.

@Enodoc

Level would be determined by the number of materials only.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Enodoc
    Level would be determined by the number of materials only.
    Is that workable? For the most part, you only need 8-15 mats per item at each level right now (Lvl 50 CP 160 being the exception, as that's 10x what you need for 150). If you could use every material at every level, that's essentially 41 different levels for each material instead of 4 or 5, which would exponentially increase the number of required mats. Instead of 12 Dwarven for a Lvl 40 cuirass, or 15 Rube for a CP 150 cuirass, you'd need something closer to 50 mats of whatever type for the Lvl 40 item, or 120 mats for the CP 150 item.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other....
    Crafting works fine as it is. The matts determining the level range the gear can be crafted for is still needed due to people still level up characters. The system should not be changed.

Maybe Zos can make crafted gear at all levels look like it does at end game. That would solve the question OP brings up.

As for restyling, as you call it, Zos has recently spoken to this and they said no so I do not expect it will happen.
    Edited by idk on December 1, 2016 12:57PM
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount, just like there's a difference in between levels, like CP150 and CP160.

If the amount of items needed to craft an item set the level of it, almost like in Skyrim, we could use any material for any crafted gear.

This is a bit more liberal than my own suggestion made a while ago.

This way we wouldn't need to have, for example, red swords just because they're the best tier, and we could use, I don't know, Ebony Ingots and have them black

The same for restyling. I don't have any issues with my Soulshine swords (Bosmer) but I would like very much to have them styled as Yokudan.
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount, just like there's a difference in between levels, like CP150 and CP160.

If the amount of items needed to craft an item set the level of it, almost like in Skyrim, we could use any material for any crafted gear.

This is a bit more liberal than my own suggestion made a while ago.

This way we wouldn't need to have, for example, red swords just because they're the best tier, and we could use, I don't know, Ebony Ingots and have them black

The same for restyling. I don't have any issues with my Soulshine swords (Bosmer) but I would like very much to have them styled as Yokudan.

@magnusthorek

Thanks for the link....nice ideas there......man here's hoping for some cool changes. Enodoc has some good thoughts too in another thread.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting works fine as it is. The matts determining the level range the gear can be crafted for is still needed due to people still level up characters. The system should not be changed.

Maybe Zos can make crafted gear at all levels look like it does at end game. That would solve the question OP brings up.

As for restyling, as you call it, Zos has recently spoken to this and they said no so I do not expect it will happen.

@Giles.floydub17_ESO
    Their comment was on transmogrification.

Honestly I completely agree that the game doesn't need a cosmetic only change.
    What people want and what makes sense for resources in lue of One Tamriel are restyling.

Basically its taking an item, that drops and re-crafting it to the known style and material desired. This works for all not just top level or low level items. Its very different from a transmogrification thought process.

This also weighs in on the loss value of motifs and material tiers thus bringing back logic for a lot of this stuff some more so than others and motifs are doing fine still in value but the argument is drops cant be changed so its pointless if ur not a trait crafter for sets thats limited.