Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

30 November update 1.19: HDR problem

TruthSeeker
TruthSeeker
✭✭✭
I clicked "Yes" for the new HDR option when I started the game after today's update, but I am finding it terrible so need to know how to go back to playing as before.

The HDR is OK in the outdoor world, but much too dark inside any building or cave/dungeon. I have adjusted the HDR slider all the way to the left and had to set the brightness control all the way to the right (brightest), but being anywhere without direct light is still horrible. I have even adjusted the picture controls on my 4k TV so that I am just about able to play in indoor areas but this is ruining the game for me.

Please tell me there is a way to turn off the HDR option.

Thanks
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sharing that the light and dark you're referring to isn't from HDR on/off.

I'm on Xbox one and I'm not on an Xbox one S but do have what you describe as darker. I've adjusted a few settings under visuals within the game menu and I love the contrast and color, bloom and ambient occlusion changes.

I'll let another PS4 owner comment on options as the Xbox one offers changes but that won't help you as our menus differ but you do have options too.
    HDR tho, is under the video settings.

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    We've moved this post to the Xbox One Support forum where it should receive more help.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_DaryaK wrote: »
    We've moved this post to the Xbox One Support forum where it should receive more help.

@ZOS_DaryaK
    Based on their profile...it should be moved to PS4 not Xbox one
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    ZOS_DaryaK wrote: »

@ZOS_DaryaK
    Based on their profile...it should be moved to PS4 not Xbox one

Thanks for looking out, @NewBlacksmurf! I've moved it to the correct support forum.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your input NewBlacksmurf, and for noticing that I play on PS4 (oops, forgot to mention that).

I'm confused that you say that this isn't connected to the new HDR option, as it didn't exist before I selected the HDR option after downloading the patch today. My visual experience has been great until now.

The only visual options I can find are the brightness control, and now the new HDR control.

Any help would be appreciated as I can't keep playing like this :(
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HDR looks like absolute shite, please give us an option to disable or give us more video options, all I see under video is brightness and adjust screen. There's no good middle setting either, if I go brighter it looks like crap, this is too dark. I shouldn't have to change my tv settings for this one game either.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My PS4 connected to my HDR TV didn't even prompt me to choose HDR. There is ZERO documentation from Bethesda/Zenimax on enabling/disabling this proudly-announced "feature"
    If you are connected to an HDR-capable TV when you start the game, you will get a system message asking if you want to switch to HDR mode. From that point on, game will run in HDR mode.

Didn't happen for me. I realize nobody from Zenimax ever responds to anything here, but I just can't understand why things seem so half-baked. Where's the user guide? Troubleshooting steps? Anything?
    PS4NA
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you all understand what HDR is?

I think ppl don't really understand.

High Dynamic
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 30, 2016 11:09PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an option to disable HDR on the PS4 Pro, have you tried turning that off?
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    There's an option to disable HDR on the PS4 Pro, have you tried turning that off?

Hi Twohothardware,

Yes, I decided to take this option (disable auto HDR and Deep Colour Output) on my PS4, although I would have preferred an ESO specific option.

The good news is that it has worked: my game looks as great as it did before the update :smile: .
    The bad news is that I'm now questioning the performance of my new Samsung 4k TV and wondering whether I should return it and purchase a different make :(
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the bright side, TruthSeeker: At least your Samsung 4K TV didn't burst into flames, right? ;)
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    Nova Sky wrote: »
    Look at the bright side, TruthSeeker: At least your Samsung 4K TV didn't burst into flames, right? ;)

Lol Nova Sky. This is true. It's still within its "return as unsatisfactory" timeline, but it would have made a nasty mess and been even more inconvenient than an ESO patch :wink:
  • PC0523
    PC0523
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I decided to take this option (disable auto HDR and Deep Colour Output) on my PS4, although I would have preferred an ESO specific option.

The good news is that it has worked: my game looks as great as it did before the update :smile: .
    The bad news is that I'm now questioning the performance of my new Samsung 4k TV and wondering whether I should return it and purchase a different make :(

I've noticed this too after yesterday's update - ESO on my PS4 Pro looks MUCH darker than before the update.

Are you saying that disabling HDR in the PlayStation Settings fixed the issue? I'm pretty sure I tried this last night, and I don't think it made a difference for me. Moving around some of the in-game video sliders helped a little bit, but the game was still very dark.

I ended up adjusting my TV brightness all the way up just so I can see. It makes the game look terrible as everything looks washed out.

I'm still confused as to why we have to change any settings. ESO looked amazing on my PS4 Pro (hooked up to Samsung 4K TV) before yesterday update. After the update it's terrible. Funny thing is that it still looks fine on my original PS4.

I saw a couple posts about turning off ambient lighting, but does that mean I can't play during daytime IRL? Any other tips to make the game look good again?
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC0523 wrote: »

I've noticed this too after yesterday's update - ESO on my PS4 Pro looks MUCH darker than before the update.

Are you saying that disabling HDR in the PlayStation Settings fixed the issue? I'm pretty sure I tried this last night, and I don't think it made a difference for me. Moving around some of the in-game video sliders helped a little bit, but the game was still very dark.

I ended up adjusting my TV brightness all the way up just so I can see. It makes the game look terrible as everything looks washed out.

I'm still confused as to why we have to change any settings. ESO looked amazing on my PS4 Pro (hooked up to Samsung 4K TV) before yesterday update. After the update it's terrible. Funny thing is that it still looks fine on my original PS4.

I saw a couple posts about turning off ambient lighting, but does that mean I can't play during daytime IRL? Any other tips to make the game look good again?
    if you using samsung tv with enabled HDR, you need to max out backlight settings and set dynamic backlight to high, it's actually applicable to all HDR tv's
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got mine working last night - with mixed results. I have a Samsung 4K TV too. I didn't spring for the Quantum Dot though - I'm cheap so I have a 2016 K U Series instead (UN60KU6300 to be exact).

Background: I have to maintain ESO on two consoles - One for PVP (PS4) and one for PVE (PS4Pro) because the PS4Pro crashes every 10 minutes in Cyrodiil but the 1080 Enhanced mode looks really good. Last night I enabled HDR on the PS4Pro and yes, things got real dark. Was able to correct that with the in-game brightness slider but honestly I wasn't all that thrilled with the colors and HDR effect. The lights on keeps, for example, were yellow but with a greenish-tint and overall I didn't think it looked all that great.

Then I hooked up my PS4, connecting it to the HDMI2 input on the Samsung TV (Which doesn't support HDR - Only HDMI1 supports UHD Color on the K U Series) and I enabled "HDR+" on the TV itself instead. HDR+ is a Samsung software update that adds some extra kick to standard signal (link below).

After playing a little with the Expert Settings on the TV itself, and moving the in-game brightness slider a tad, the results were phenomenal. Totally happy with it - Cyrodiil looks amazing.

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-announces-hdr-update.html

TLDR - I prefer the picture quality with PlayStation HDR disabled, and using the TV's simulated HDR instead. Maybe a future ESO patch will make some adjustments and I'll try native HDR again.

Edited by dotme on December 1, 2016 2:16PM
    PS4NA
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    PC0523 wrote: »

Yes, turning off the auto HDR and Video Output Settings fixed it for me. I had to log out and then in again. Now I no longer have the HDR slider. Back to pre-patch visuals :smile:

I'd also turned off HDR+ on the TV.
  • jorgeh401b14_ESO
    jorgeh401b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of the days when tv got color and people complaned about it, (not taking a shot at op) its interesting to see how people react to new technology, (also understand every one has and is entitle to there own opinion and preference).

HDR has been more of a justification for my 4k oled tv then the 4k res, im so glad the og ps4 has an HDR patch now so I didnt need the pro for just for that. HDR is the game changer not 4k (imo)

"Once I'm done with the three questing zones I will travel to cyrodiil and make my claim to the throne."

Key Binds Guide For PS4 to Change the Weapon Swap Button
    PS4 / NA server
  • PikkonMG
    PikkonMG
    ✭✭✭
    Can you only run one mode at a time, game mode may not matter to much for ESO but not having it turned on hampers input lag, Running HDR+ mode over game mode adds to that input lag. Just a through for those choosing HDR+ mode.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of the days when tv got color and people complaned about it, (not taking a shot at op) its interesting to see how people react to new technology, (also understand every one has and is entitle to there own opinion and preference).

HDR has been more of a justification for my 4k oled tv then the 4k res, im so glad the og ps4 has an HDR patch now so I didnt need the pro for just for that. HDR is the game changer not 4k (imo)

Unfortunately, if you don't have a TV that supports HDR, then this update is kinda off-putting. It probably looks great on your TV, but that's not the case for me. I can't afford a fancy 4k TV with HDR, so I'm now stuck with a darker/muddier game that's lacking some of its original vibrancy -- even after recalibrating my TV and with the HDR option turned off on the PS4.