The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stealth, Cloak, Invisibility, Sneak ......

thedude33
thedude33
✭✭✭✭✭
....having a tough time learning and understanding which of these is different, and which are the same. Doing some theory crafting, and see mentioned attack bonuses for stealth etc.

Thanks
1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sneak: The action of crouching to go into stealth. Initiate by pressing the "sneak" button ("CTRL" on PC). You can also sneak past enemies in the game by staying out of their line of sight.

Stealth: The actual state of being sneaky. You know you're in stealth mode when the eye at the center of your screen (it appears when you press the sneak button) closes all the way. If it opens all the way, you've been spotted!

Invisibility: A special ability state. Drink an invisibility potion or use Shadow Cloak, and you will go invisible for a limited time. Allows you to be unseen without necessarily needing to go into "sneak" mode.

Cloak: short for Shadow Cloak, an ability specific to Nightblades that lets them go invisible for a few seconds without the need for a potion.

Basically, you can Sneak by entering Stealth or by using Invisibility, which NBs can access by using Cloak.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Crouch/Sneak/Stealth are all the same thing ..CTL button on keyboard. Everyone has this.

Invis = Nightblade Cloak or Invis potion

Thanks, I think I have it now.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparrows explanation is very good. I'll expand regarding attack bonuses that apply to stealth. I'll also add the term crouch: the walking around your character does while still in sneak, which drains stamina.

If a skill or set mentions a bonus from stealth or sneak attack, it means essentially the same thing...that you need to be in crouch and hidden from all enemies for the bonus to apply.

For example, Archers Mind set: attacks from stealth increase crit damage by 10%. To get this, you need to be in sneak mode with the crosshairs eye closed (a sound also triggers as you go in and our of sneak). No enemies can see you. If you're playing pvp and bow ganking someone across a river from sneak, maybe you're standing next to a mud crab that's seeing you. The human player can't see you just because the crab does, but the crab is pulling you from stealth and will prevent the buff from proccing

In pve, attacks with stealth bonuses usually need to occur behind the target unless it's a range attack. For example, the stam blades surprise attack...huge bonus for an attack from stealth, but to stay stealth you need to sneak up behind the monster (usually).

Some sets and skills reference bonuses for attacks from crouch, and not stealth/sneak (vicecannon of venom set). These are rare, but my assumption is that the buff still applies even if you're seen. So I'm attacking someone across the river in crouch but the mud crab sees me...I think the bonus applies. Or maybe I launch four arrows at the other player. After the first, they can see me, my stealth is broken. But I'm still in crouch, so hits 2-4 can still prop the crouch bonus.