The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is a 2h stam sorc viable for PvE?

Spaghettiknight
Could a 2h stam sorc be viable in PvE (even if it's just non-vet)? I know Rending Slash and Rapid Strikes are incredibly important to stam sorcs, but are there any sort of usable 2h skills for stam sorc for similar damage output?
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rally yup
    Crit rush great esp given surge
    Cleave yup esp shield
    Executioner yup
    And dizzy/wreck

You can literally have a support setup bar with hurricane crit rush etc and practically and entire 2h bar.

Plenty of dps for the content you are describing.

And bound armaments makes hvy att ok too.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    I am no top player but do a lot of solo overland. I try all styles on my stamsorc -- 2H is definitely viable. You can solo dungeons with it (at least normal).

I don't personally like it as much as other options, but it can be highly effective, aprticularly with crit rush.
  • Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    2h is ok for questing

2h is bad for everything else than just questing. just a bad idea, just bad dps lol

2 is vialble for pvp also

dual wield + bow - nothing can top that... just nothing
    - Champion Rank 1080 -

Argonian Warden Tank - Never-Fights-Alone
    Highelf Sorcereress - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Highelf Templar - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Imperial Dragonknight - Tank - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Khajiit Nightblade - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Redguard Templar - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Darkelf Nightblade - Magicka DD - Voice of Reason
    Imperial Sorcerer - Stamina DD - The Flawless Conquerer
    Redguard Dragonknight - Stamina DD
    Argonian Templar - Healer - Heals-all-Allies -
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nidro wrote: »
    2h is ok for questing

2h is bad for everything else than just questing. just a bad idea, just bad dps lol

2 is vialble for pvp also

dual wield + bow - nothing can top that... just nothing

This.
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBs and probably stamplars can get away with 2h in difficult solo content like VMA - 2h/bow gives some survivability crutching with rally. If you don't have a class-based stamina attack, then yeah don't use 2h. Stamsorc with DW/bow is a dream come true in PVE content, I freaking love it.
    Edited by Kutsuu on November 29, 2016 4:51PM
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love two handed but sadly I have to agree with the folks above. Other than doing dungeons with friends I've learnt that the easiest way to get a group is dual wield and just stand near undaunted enclaves. I wish it wasn't true but the only reasons I'm ever given for being passed over or kicked is they don't want two handed...

The main reason I group is for the company, if I just want to solo normal dungeons one of my alts can do that herself... at least as long as they are normal.... and dungeon one not dungeon two... yes dark shade normal two I'm looking at you you vicious little sod...
  • Saint_Bud
    Saint_Bud
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you want make top dps, then not. But if you like it and dont care for bis, you will be able to make good dps thats more then enough for vet dungeons. But use a bow as 2nd weapons. It will be enough for craglon trials also i think and players use 2h when vma comes out so it will work also for that.
    PVP Saint-Bud magicka Templar: AR 49
    PVE Lord Victarion mDK : dro'm-Athra-Destroyer pre Morrowind retired for crafting
    PVE Ramsay-Bolton magicka NB: Voice of Reason Clockwork City Patch retired
    VAA hm/ VHRC hm/ VSO hm/ VMOL hm/ VHOF hm/ VAS hm clear

Stop playing PVE because its boring, content not disigned for melee players and class balance and sustain is ***
  • superleeds19
    superleeds19
    ✭✭
    I run a Stam sorc and initially loved the idea of 2 H. Sadly both in pvp and pve it's not the strongest. Slow and clunky and not always the best dps.

As the above have said, dual wield and bow are exeptionally strong on Stam sorc
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DW is clearly stronger than 2H and has been for awhile. There are strong players that do fine with it but they will not pull top DPS with a comparably skilled group.

Long ago some used 2H on their back bar for the execute but now it is bow for the back bar.

Edit: taking into account you've mention not for vet trials he 2H would be just fine. In reality there is no reason people should not have fun with their builds though everyone should understand the limits of their build.
    Edited by idk on November 29, 2016 8:11PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could a 2h stam sorc be viable in PvE (even if it's just non-vet)? I know Rending Slash and Rapid Strikes are incredibly important to stam sorcs, but are there any sort of usable 2h skills for stam sorc for similar damage output?

The answer is yes. All the the 2H skills are viable and useful for the content you're describing.

It is true that DW/Bow has more DPS potential than 2H/Bow, but that has more to do with high/max CP, endgame gear, optimized dungeon or raid groups, and Maelstrom weapons. You can do very respectable DPS with a 2H/Bow setup as long as you understand how to do a basic DPS rotation (Buff, apply DoTs, weave single target or AOE spammable with light attacks, rinse/repeat).
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL;DR: For solo questing and overland content, specifically for non-vet content, yes. For all other pve content, 2H leaves a lot to be desired.

2H is noticeably more useful in pvp, but personally I feel that even there it is sub-par to even 1H&S. Rally is by far the most valuable skill in the tree because of its burst healing, at least imo. Brawler is barely useful in any pvp environment, as the DoT is weak and so is the shield (it may keep you alive a little while longer against a group but it will not save the day), meaning the only real use for this skill is against groups of pve trash. Crit Rush is a "guaranteed" crit assuming your opponent has no damage shield, though the direct damage of Crit Rush is noticeably inferior to other direct-damage skills, and the DoT component afforded by the vMA 2H is also weak compared to almost every other DoT in the game. Personally, I'd suggest that Stampede is better in pvp, while Crit Rush is better in pve where there are almost no damage shields (especially in non-vet and overland content). Execute is great if you don't have one (and AoE splash damage is good for overland content). Anybody with any semblance of experience will dodge or block a Dizzying Swing, and even a seamless rotation with Wrecking Blow as the bread&butter skill is inferior to DW and Bow by a very long stretch.

I used to run a 2H stam sorc in pve and even with vMA weapons and every DoT I could possibly fit into the rotation (including caltrops) I couldn't break 25k on Blood Spawn (though it may be worth noting that as a different class it may be easier to pull higher, but with no spammable direct-damage attack as a Sorc it's not great). Granted, I did this parse quite awhile ago so I might be able to do a little better now, but I exhausted virtually every combination of gear and skills I could muster up to barely match a comparatively low parse. As is the case with any of my parses, the only buff allowed was Pierce Armor and nothing else. In my current DW/Bow setup, I pull 34.5k self-buffed plus Pierce Armor, and there's still room for improvement. A friend of mine also has a DW/Bow stam sorc and came in at 37k under the same conditions. As you can see, the disparity is quite large.

To sum it up, you can get better damage, better sustain (2H skills on average are more costly than DW or Bow), and better self-healing from DW. Volley does more single-target damage than any 2H skill (and actually does more single-target damage than almost every other skill in the game, regardless of class). Combine this with the awfully clunky animations of 2H attacks and the case is pretty clear-cut. The underlying question here is whether or not 2H is fine for non-vet and overland content, and it is without question fine for that type of content. Start doing veteran group content with a 2H and you may catch some friction with other group members. Personally, I think it's rather pointless and immature to overtly harass someone like that just for using a 2H (as if it's some super-competitive run or something), but nonetheless you will find people who act this way. That being said, I think you could probably complete every vet dungeon in a 2H build (thus technically making it viable), but the run(s) will undoubtedly be slower and less efficient.
    Edited by Autolycus on November 29, 2016 8:49PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Autolycus

These threads keep making me curious about off-meta DPS setups like 2H/Bow, Bow/DW, Bow/2H, ect ect...

Problem is no one seems to be making fair comparisons. Even in your case, your BS test was admittedly from awhile ago and you've probably gotten better sense then.

I'd love to see some combat metrics data with some weird, but viable setups vs. the DW/Bow standard. Also like I mentioned earlier, much of the DW/Bow setup's strength comes from CP (double dip with Thauma/Mighty), and Maelstrom weaps. Since Maelstrom weaps are out of reach for many players, they might do well with another setup, or at least come close to the DW/Bow standard. ./shrug
  • jkolb2030
    jkolb2030
    ✭✭✭
    @Autolycus

These threads keep making me curious about off-meta DPS setups like 2H/Bow, Bow/DW, Bow/2H, ect ect...

Problem is no one seems to be making fair comparisons. Even in your case, your BS test was admittedly from awhile ago and you've probably gotten better sense then.

I'd love to see some combat metrics data with some weird, but viable setups vs. the DW/Bow standard. Also like I mentioned earlier, much of the DW/Bow setup's strength comes from CP (double dip with Thauma/Mighty), and Maelstrom weaps. Since Maelstrom weaps are out of reach for many players, they might do well with another setup, or at least come close to the DW/Bow standard. ./shrug

I ran a vet dungeon with a stamNB running bow and 2h... His damage was extremely poor.. although, i dont know what sets he was trying to run.. But I was out DPSing him on my StamDK CP400 while he was CP561.

Off meta builds are out there, and aren't horrible* - but they are noticeably subpar..
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viable? Sure. Are you going to be breaking DPS records? Nope!
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jkolb2030 wrote: »
    @Autolycus

I ran a vet dungeon with a stamNB running bow and 2h... His damage was extremely poor.. although, i dont know what sets he was trying to run.. But I was out DPSing him on my StamDK CP400 while he was CP561.

Off meta builds are out there, and aren't horrible* - but they are noticeably subpar..
    This is kind of what I mean though. That dudes issue wasn't the weapon setup he chose.

Take the fabled 50k+ DPS parse that every DW/Bow DPS is shooting for. There is a very small number of players that can actually hit that number. I've got my Flawless title and my Dro'mathra skin, but I can't come close to that. I wonder how the numbers would look if a player capable of that mark used the DW/Bow setup and then compared it to a 2H/Bow setup self-buffed. On my Stam NB I've had very respectable parses in the over 30k mark with 2H/Bow, so I wonder what a better player would be capable of?
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @The_Outsider You make a fair point. I try to be as open-minded and reasonable as possible when it comes to advising on stuff like this. I want the underlying point and overall message here to be this: For non-vet and overland content, there is no reason one cannot use a 2H as their main weapon. What we're getting into beyond this first paragraph is not entirely relevant to the OP's question, but is an extension of that concept that is really only applicable to vet trials. It's not as though a 4man vet dungeon group will be unsuccessful because someone uses a 2H.... that's not inherently true. The person with 2H will pull lower damage guaranteed, but the dungeon can still be completed. Thus, 2H is viable for vet dungeons. We draw the line at the word "competitive" rather than "viable."

That being said, I tried for quite some time to make a 2H work and to put it on the same level as DW and Bow dps parses. Part of the reason I've been unsuccessful is as you say: vMA weapons. But that's not all there is to it. Try putting Volley, Hurricane, Twin Slashes, and Cleave on the same bar with no other passive benefits, no gear, no CP, and no attributes, then compare the tooltip values (it helps to do this on a template character so you can guarantee you aren't buffing anything, and you have to make sure you convert each skill into damage per 1 second). What you'll find is that the baseline damage on 2H skills is below the values for Bow and DW skills. Adding in all of those other items, like CP, only furthers this disparity; it is not the reason the disparity exists.

I inflated my 25k parse slightly to be more conservative (in favor of 2H). Originally I clocked ~22k but I bumped it up to account for better gear/skill since then. I have been actively toying with combinations since then, but I feel I have a thorough enough understanding of stamina dps on the whole to know that 2H will not be in a competitive state for pve without being reworked (or perhaps a new "masters" weapon that buffs Uppercut?). I consider myself to be a good dps (and have no problem admitting others are better), and I am confident when I say that I am at a complete loss at this point for improving that 2H parse. Sad part is, I actually know what I can do to improve my DW/Bow parse, but cannot say the same for 2H.

When it comes to putting together a solid dps build for pve content, both bars are required to maximize the damage potential of the build. Since volley is the best single-target dps skill in the game, bow is required as one of our weapons, plain and simple. That means we have to choose between DW/Bow, 2H/Bow, and 1H&S/Bow. For obvious reasons, we cannot dps in pve with 1H&S, which means the comparison is only between DW and 2H. Even a seamless 2H rotation that uses all of the same non-weapon DoTs (Hurricane, Rearming Trap, Volley, Poison Injection, and assuming Dawnbreaker instead of Rend) cannot keep up with the damage on Flurry and Twin Slashes, with or without vMA weapons (again I refer to tooltip values with no gear, CP, attributes, or passive buffs).

Your point comes into play here. With no access to vMA weapons, comparing a dps parse on a 2H/Bow stamplar might not be that far off from a DW/Bow stamplar, simply because their 2H and DW are used for passive weapon damage values, rather than the skills from each respective tree. For example, a Stamplar in this case would not be using Flurry or WB, he/she would be using Biting Jabs. Unfortunately, stam sorcs have no class-derived spammable damage ability, so there is no comparison to be made anyway. We have to get our bread&butter skill from either DW or 2H.

You certainly don't have to take my word for it, but I sincerely doubt you're going to see any "fair" comparisons between 2H setups and the meta. The reason? Because 2H is designed to favor utility (pvp) over damage (pve). The meta favors whatever clears vet trials the fastest, because that's how competition is measured in ESO (top leaderboard spots = fastest run = moar dps).

This is kind of what I mean though. That dudes issue wasn't the weapon setup he chose.

Take the fabled 50k+ DPS parse that every DW/Bow DPS is shooting for. There is a very small number of players that can actually hit that number. I've got my Flawless title and my Dro'mathra skin, but I can't come close to that. I wonder how the numbers would look if a player capable of that mark used the DW/Bow setup and then compared it to a 2H/Bow setup self-buffed. On my Stam NB I've had very respectable parses in the over 30k mark with 2H/Bow, so I wonder what a better player would be capable of?

That 50k parse is undoubtedly in a buffed environment. There is absolutely no chance that this is a parse done by a single person with only self-buffs on Blood Spawn, and their dps parse when allowed only Pierce Armor and purely self-buffed thereafter is probably closer to 42k. This is still very good, mind you, but it's important to be realistic when we break our builds down like this. My parse sits at 35k, which is 7k behind our example. I can boost that 35k to 38k by replacing my precise weapons with sharpened weapons. I can probably get as far as an additional 1k by continuing to improve upon my rotation (give or take, this is probably a stretch tbh). And the remaining difference is either the difference in class, or due to having a couple of minor gear pieces not gold yet.

The outcome wouldn't be much different if that person decided to use 2H, because while said player (who is clearly very good at dps and can achieve those values in a trials setting) might have seamless ani-cancelling and attack weaving, perfect timing on refreshing DoTs, etc., they cannot change how the weapon is designed. The weapon is designed with inherently lower baseline damage (and we get less weapon damage with a 2Hander than we do by dual-wielding too, don't forget that), and gear/weapon options for DW and Bow are vastly superior relative to the options we have for 2H.

As always I stand to be corrected by anyone with relevant and credible information, of course. Like I said, I try to be as open-minded and reasonable as possible. Just because I consider my own experience and testing (and I guess my discussions with others counts too) to be adequate doesn't mean I haven't missed something. I openly welcome being proven wrong when it comes to 2H dps in pve.
    Edited by Autolycus on November 29, 2016 11:30PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to be as open-minded and reasonable as possible when it comes to advising on stuff like this. I want the underlying point and overall message here to be this: For non-vet and overland content, there is no reason one cannot use a 2H as their main weapon.
    @Autolycus Agreed. It's a good attitude to have.
    What you'll find is that the baseline damage on 2H skills is below the values for Bow and DW skills. Adding in all of those other items, like CP, only furthers this disparity; it is not the reason the disparity exists.
    Interesting...I did not know this. And I'm not sure I like it... You mentioned that is is because 2H offers superior utility to DW, but as I'm thinking about it, DW offers a significant amount of utility in it's own right (healing, mitigation, buffs, even range). So we've got 2 skill lines both with utility skills and damage skills, yet one offers higher tooltip values from the get-go, and superior potential to scale? Hmm.

I'm thinking that perhaps my more favorable experiences with a 2H/Bow setup come from being a Stam NB, so natually I'd be using Surprise Attack over Wrecking Blow. Like you pointed out, all else remains the same, I basically just trading Rapid Strikes for SA and using all the same DoTs (minus Rending Slash). Perhaps the fracture from SA even makes up (slightly) for not having that extra DoT.

I end up recommending the 2H/Bow setup pretty often. A lot of people here on the forums tend to have the attitude that everyone should run DW/Bow simply because it has the most potential. In reality, there's a very small number of people who can actually use DW to it's full potential. And min/maxed raid groups are a small percentage of the content that even those people do. A 2H main bar has a lot going for it. Rally provides a much larger margin for error for a lot of content is also a significantly cheaper way to buff (with most DW guys chugging pots for brutality). Then again, perhaps it's the PVPer in me that can't let go of my Rally crutch... lol.

Anyway, it seems like you've actually tested this more than I have. So, thanks for the info.
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2h can do most non vet pve content.

But for anything more, its DW or GTFO.
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't 2h end game content and if you try prepare to be LOLed at.

Back in the day... ok wrecking blow for your life but that's no longer the case.

Yes you can for questing as others have stated.
    Yes you can for PVP.
    Yes you can for PVE Non VET (still don't like that idea)
    HELL no for anything else VET DUNGEON/Trial related

I would say no for VMA... But I've done it on stam sorc... fairly easily.

PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648