The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The Issues I Have With Crafting Sets and Crafting In General

Panda_iMunch
Panda_iMunch
✭✭✭✭
Hey everyone, just made a video here about the various issues I have with crafting sets and crafting in general! Hope you all enjoy it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm80gcZKCY

Here are the pics I showed in the video for one point I made out of the many.
CyN85QAW8AQcCFu.png
Pretty simple issue, dropped sets do more damage and proc more often.
CyN850pXUAAOoP1.png
Interesting issue here. Passives often do more than the set does alone. Worm gives more in total.
CyN86RTXUAAbnJl.png
Same thing as Varen's, the damage is just plain way too low. It's also not very unique considering how close the 5 pieces are as well as them being in the same area.
CyN87fXWEAAeEEl.png
Death's Wind has counter parts in dropped sets that have a 33% lower CD as well as can heal. Not sure why this type of 5 piece exists in 2 dropped and crafted.
CyN89v6XEAAv4NU.png
Spellweave and various dropped sets in game offer more raw stats when compare to Julianos and Hunding's.
CyN8-UmXAAABhKT.png
Vamp passive does the "sneak fast" better as well as a dropped set.
CyN8-upXAAAslyz.png
It's an odd set for tanks as the 3-4 bonuses don't work well for a tank and is quite useless for medium armor users. Healers/light armor users have Sanc., which is far better with regards to healing.

Seeing as the sets are the only thing being mentioned, I will do my best to explain the rest of the points.

***Hybrid Sets***

When it comes to may of the hybrid sets (sets designed to allow a person to effectively use stamina and magicka abilities), they often don't do what is intended or simply don't do enough to be worth it. When it comes to dealing damage in this game, max resources, crit chance, crit chance modifiers, ability penetration for physical and magical, DoT damage modifiers, and raw damage increase through increase magical, poison, physical damage, etc. modifiers all play a factor.

When you look at a set like (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CySWBDAXcAEOItG.jpg) PA, you see that the stats are going to both sides of magicka and stamina, but split. This ends up doing very little to increase your damage out put. When you look at something like (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CySWBf3XcAA-sPk.jpg) Curse or Scales, the 5 piece damage is influenced by one set of stats but yet has 2-3-4 piece bonuses designed to make it a middle of the line piece. In the end, these 2-3-4 piece sets are a step in the right direction, but they need to take a page from Molag Kena and give both the stamina side and magicka side in every set piece (ex. Max stamina and max magicka for 2 piece, and things like that).

***Crafted Sets Only In 5 Piece Sets***

There are many sets out in the game that only have 2-3 piece set bonuses and they offer unique abilities and build options for those who want them. Many people who use sword and board or who use duel wield, they have access to using two 5-piece sets, which means they have quite a few more options to builds than a person who uses a staff, 2-h sword/mace/ax, or bow. This problem is especially pronounced with the release of T1 that gave some 5-piece sets some ridiculous damage and/or stats. ZoS could remedy this by adding some 4-3-2 piece crafted sets or make 2h weapons count as two pieces (may need to reduce the stats a little bit).

***Can't Change The Style of Gear***

When it comes to making gear, you only have to make it once and you're pretty much done until level increases or some ridiculous trait comes out that is way better than the one you have now. This is good as it doesn't drain resources, but what about motifs? Plenty are released every patch and people spend many hours farming them (and making videos about it, in my case). When you are done farming these motifs, there is really no use for them as you already crafted that TBS set during the release of IC. Unless you are leveling a new guy or are making the same set of gear many times over, you'll never get the full use out of a motif. It kinda makes motif grinding pointless. To fix this, they should do something similar to the Imperial gear conversion that the Imperial Editions gives you access to. For example, you go to an anvil, tailor shop, etc. and you use the new style gem and some resources to change a style of gear to whatever gem you put in.

***No Jewelry Crafting****

This is a pretty self explanatory issue. With the release of T1, pretty much every set in the game that have a 5-piece bonus comes in jewelry; that is, every dropped set. Crafted sets are somehow still without a jewelry counterpart, even though it has been ages and the crafted sets are not even ridiculously over powered. This is more a less a quality of life improvement as allowing people to craft jewelry would making grinding a little more forgiving as long as you got 5 pieces of a set that had decent traits, you would be able to craft a set around that to fill the holes. This would take some of the edge off grinding and would make leveling a little more interesting, as well as offer some new build paths late game.

***Crafted Sets Are Made With One Armor Type In Mind***

What I mean by the title is that when you look at sets like Morkuldin, you notice that every piece bonus is for a stamina character, but yet you can craft the set in heavy and light? When it comes to many of the sets that you can craft, they were not designed to be flexible with all the armor types and this really limits what sets can go with what armor type. Why give the player the option to craft a set with one armor type in mind in some other armor type? Seems rather pointless or poorly thought out.

What ZoS could do is allow the player to manipulate the stats or set piece bonuses to something we would use. Maybe the use of a arcane forge to change Morkuldin to summon a fire staff as opposed to a sword. They could also use the three stations around the world and make one for one primary stat. With three crafting stations in the world, they could do all three stat types. This would also have the added bonus of making exploration more worth it.

If I missed any point or if you want a full argument, the video mentioned at the beginning is a great option to listen to.
Edited by Panda_iMunch on November 27, 2016 7:45PM
Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
Twitch: Pandalius
Beam: Pandalius
Twitter: Pandalius
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Updated both the Reddit post and this one with a more flushed out description for those who don't want to listen to a video.
    Yeetus that fetus

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agree crafting for equip needs a serious uptick along the lines of what was done to drop-sets in 1T. they need to finish the job.

My current package is in my sign, see below if interested.

While i doubt they would allow conversion from mag to sta varieties, its interesting.

My main off-the walls are:
    Allowing you to craft any crafted set and remove one of the 2-3-4 pc bonuses, turning it into a 4pc set with the final effect happening at 4, not 5. That makes crafted a lot more adjustable and opens a lot of build possibilities that dont exist now.

it gives crafted a definite unique element that drops dont have.

An alternative or additional option would be to replace one of the 2-3-4pc bonuses with one of the others on that set, doubling up on one and eliminating the one you dont like. keeps it at 5pc total but gives you lotsa options.

These, on top of the practical 1T-style adjustments, make crafting for equip meaningful instead of drops, not just alternative for some drops.

Might make it worth the full skills spent.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    One point on the sets you craft are for one type of armor but you can make it in all three types light medium and heavy, this is one of the few pluses crafting has left over drops reason undaunted metal passive. Only way to get set completion with a 5/1/1 armor
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    One point on the sets you craft are for one type of armor but you can make it in all three types light medium and heavy, this is one of the few pluses crafting has left over drops reason undaunted metal passive. Only way to get set completion with a 5/1/1 armor

Crafting isn''t the only way to get the 5/1/1. Undaunted sets can come in all three armor types and if a person is running two 5 piece sets, there is options to gain more than one armor type. For example, I could weave 5 IA and 2 Embershield with jewelry.
    Yeetus that fetus

• cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not the only but it is the most efficient to get the 5/1/1 heavy medium light armor requirement
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry at work hade to wait for break to make my case on why being able to craft all three types is a good thing.
    Flexibility: drop sets you get what you get this gives you the way to plug the gap.
    2 piece bouns: you get the two piece bouns plus the passive active plus the correct traits for your needs
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry at work hade to wait for break to make my case on why being able to craft all three types is a good thing.
    Flexibility: drop sets you get what you get this gives you the way to plug the gap.
    2 piece bouns: you get the two piece bouns plus the passive active plus the correct traits for your needs

Well... yes crafted sets make it easier to get specifics you want.

if you have unlocked the undaunted passive and invested tons of time into crafting then its easier for you after some 22 skill points to get that bonus.

that makes it possibly the single most expensive passive in the game.

:-)

IMO the vast gains made by having enchanting, alchemy and provisions over not having them are astronomically over the gains made by having smithing, wooding and clothing yet the costs are the same.

Not arguing its useless, just way less than it should be as far as making crafted sets.

right now, its main purpose seems to be to upgrade dropped sets. Turn that green into gold.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• jarydf
    jarydf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think "fixing" crafted sets is as simple as adding crafted jewellry and that jewelry being able to be golded. That would make the sets better than dropped in some way but also different at the same time.
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    jarydf wrote: »
    I think "fixing" crafted sets is as simple as adding crafted jewellry and that jewelry being able to be golded. That would make the sets better than dropped in some way but also different at the same time.

To a degree. There are still some sets that are plainly worse than their dropped counter parts and there are still the odd stat choices for 2-3-4 pieces. They would have to do some sort of full balance at some point, maybe when they release jewelry crafting.
    Yeetus that fetus