The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Gaming Laptop Question

TankHealz2015
TankHealz2015
✭✭✭
Microcenter Computer store has both of these gaming laptops currently on sale... (November 13, 2016)

ASUS ROG G752VM-71 17.3", silver color with copper accents, 16G ram, GTX1060 $1,599.99

ACER Predator 17 G9-793-78CM 17.3", black, 16G, GTX1070 $1,499.99

I cannot find adequate ratings and reviews online (other similar models but none with these specs...)

They are similar priced but the Predator has a GTX1070 and the ROG only has a GTX1060
I read that the 1070 is significantly better...

But anybody here smart on laptop spec? Perhaps could provide insight? Is one brand much more reliable?

I've always like the ASUS ROG series and especially the colors on this one, but the Predator with a much better GPU and $100 cheaper seems like a "WOW" moment.

Comments to help?

PS. I know this is the ADD-Ons section, but I figured people who know how to write code and such would likely know more about laptop specs than me.....
Thanks!

• TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭

What?
    Nobody knows about these things...
    :-/
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, get the one with the 1070. While it has lower spec RAM (DDR4 vs DDR5) so the Mobo may not be up as snazzy, the 1070 model comes with an SSD, and that hands down blows away any advantage the RAM or Mobo would have.

Amazon has the 1070 model at 1899, so it's a pretty decent price. If you have to have a gaming laptop and not a desktop.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭

Thank you!

• Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, acer sucks. Just saying. The Asus would be far superior in several ways. Also, since it is a laptop, the gpu memory is kind of an important detail as well. Like, what would the point be of having a super fast loading gpu if the memory is limited so that loading past 1920x1080 on ultra is not possible. From what I've read about nvidia, you should look for the 80 model gpu over the 60 and 70. It's basically like purple vs green in ESO quality.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on November 15, 2016 10:21AM
  • Spookysheep
    Spookysheep
    Soul Shriven
    I have used ASUS ROG since they came out. I have no regrets. I update every few years but they last a LONG time, playing most games on ultra settings without any issues for a LONG time. Money well spent.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Microcenter Computer store has both of these gaming laptops currently on sale... (November 13, 2016)

ASUS ROG G752VM-71 17.3", silver color with copper accents, 16G ram, GTX1060 $1,599.99

ACER Predator 17 G9-793-78CM 17.3", black, 16G, GTX1070 $1,499.99

I cannot find adequate ratings and reviews online (other similar models but none with these specs...)

They are similar priced but the Predator has a GTX1070 and the ROG only has a GTX1060
    I read that the 1070 is significantly better...

But anybody here smart on laptop spec? Perhaps could provide insight? Is one brand much more reliable?

I've always like the ASUS ROG series and especially the colors on this one, but the Predator with a much better GPU and $100 cheaper seems like a "WOW" moment.

Comments to help?

PS. I know this is the ADD-Ons section, but I figured people who know how to write code and such would likely know more about laptop specs than me.....
    Thanks!
    i personally hate laptops due to the fact that if they break it cost an arm and a leg to fix. Besides you can build a good desktop for around 800-1k. But if you must then i would recommend going to a custom gaming computer site and seeing what they offer.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • GlassHalfFull
    GlassHalfFull
    ✭✭✭✭
    We us ASUS ROG, and really like them. If this particular ROG does not have the features you want, shop around for the one that does. We are rather close to Black Friday, and some places already are on Black November, there are deals out there to be found.
    Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
  • TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the input and private messages. Very much appreciated.

As mentioned, my need is/was for a laptop. Specifically, a gaming laptop. And after much comparison shopping and evaluating my needs, budget, etc., etc...

"Say hello to my little friend":

ASUS ROG G752VS-BH17N05, 17.3", GTX1070, 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD, silver with copper color accents

I absolutely love the look of this laptop. The silver with copper accents, to me is just perfect.

Still learning my way around... but so far, wow! amazing.

It was on sale for $1,999.99 with no money down and 0% interest for 18 months. Plus accessories on sale...
    Although I prefer to shop at Micro Center, this was exactly the computer I wanted and the whole interest free thing was just icing on the cake.

Cheers!

See you all in game,