The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player questions

hrwd
hrwd
Soul Shriven
Right, so I tried ESO during the free weekend and I was left confused. It didn't make that good of a first impression on me(except audiovisually ofc). That's why I wanted to turn to you for further help:

1. The health, damage etc numbers are so huge because of ESO one(or whatever it was called-the level scaling thingy), right?
2. Combat...is it mostly LMB, LMB, Push, Power Attack with abilities woven in?
3. Equipment...this is where I was mostly confused(because the game didn't gave me enough equipment fast enough I guess)...when do you start getting good equipment? I didn't get a weapon upgrade in my first 2h or so. This is an odd thing for an RPG, let alone MMORPG. Maybe I should craft, but I see no way how to.
4. I can just follow quests around and enjoy the story, right? I'm not big on exploration tbh.
5. RP wise: Is it a mandate that you are playing a Soul Shriven(or whatever)? I mean, I don't like playing Undead that much(this is what soured Rift greatly to me).
6. Every and any newbie guide welcome, of course ;) .

Thank you for your help!
  • Resfeber
    Resfeber
    ✭✭✭
    1. Yes, or rather when they switched over to Champion points in general. They were once much lower.
    2. (skip because I dont play xbox)
    3. You get good equipment from completing quests (this requires some exploration) and better equipment from making your own. The crafting system is actually one of the better ones in an MMO. It's pretty easy and you can start making your own pretty fast. There is a tutorial for this in the first major city you land in. (The city you land in, Not the beginner island that you go to by boat.)
    4. You can absolutely follow quests around and enjoy the story. It can seem that there isn't a way to continue at a rare time or two, but all maps progress in more or less a single direction. (ie, you start in the south and head north to progress the story) so it isn't hard to get lost. I'll argue that some of the best stories are sidequests, but it is completely optional. Only the main storyline (with The Prophet) and the progressive story that leads to rubbing elbows with your alliance leader (the alliance's storyline) is really required and they are pretty linear.
    5. If you plan to roleplay with others I've seen very few people actually stick to the soul shriven template. It's very restrictive and doesn't add much variety between characters. This is coming from someone who hasn't done much roleplaying on ESO though.
    6. These are pretty easy to google. Just a tip. A lot of beginner guides won't be exactly accurate as many of them are from earlier in the development of the game. Even a year earlier can mean the game was a lot different. The basic tips don't change though. :) Here is Elloa's basics guide. It also serves as a good example as there were not Crafting bags back then which is a subscription feature that helps with inventory management.
    Edited by Resfeber on November 20, 2016 10:55PM
    Resfeber (n.): the restless race of the traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; a travel fever that can manifest as an illness.
    [Jan '14 Beta Tester]
  • hrwd
    hrwd
    Soul Shriven
    Resfeber wrote: »
    1. Yes, or rather when they switched over to Champion points in general. They were once much lower.
    2. (skip because I dont play xbox)
    3. You get good equipment from completing quests (this requires some exploration) and better equipment from making your own. The crafting system is actually one of the better ones in an MMO. It's pretty easy and you can start making your own pretty fast. There is a tutorial for this in the first major city you land in. (The city you land in, Not the beginner island that you go to by boat.)
    4. You can absolutely follow quests around and enjoy the story. It can seem that there isn't a way to continue at a rare time or two, but all maps progress in more or less a single direction. (ie, you start in the south and head north to progress the story) so it isn't hard to get lost. I'll argue that some of the best stories are sidequests, but it is completely optional. Only the main storyline (with The Prophet) and the progressive story that leads to rubbing elbows with your alliance leader (the alliance's storyline) is really required and they are pretty linear.
    5. If you plan to roleplay with others I've seen very few people actually stick to the soul shriven template. It's very restrictive and doesn't add much variety between characters. This is coming from someone who hasn't done much roleplaying on ESO though.
    6. These are pretty easy to google. Just a tip. A lot of beginner guides won't be exactly accurate as many of them are from earlier in the development of the game. Even a year earlier can mean the game was a lot different. The basic tips don't change though. :) Here is Elloa's basics guide. It also serves as a good example as there were not Crafting bags back then which is a subscription feature that helps with inventory management.

Thank you. #2 is for PC. LMB is Left Mouse Button etc. I don't play consoles(why would I when my gfx card has a worth of one?).
  • Resfeber
    Resfeber
    ✭✭✭
    hrwd wrote: »
    Thank you. #2 is for PC. LMB is Left Mouse Button etc. I don't play consoles(why would I when my gfx card has a worth of one?).
    Aaaah. Sorry. Long work day. I was not using brain well.
    Answer is yes, pretty much. Same as the (new) tutorial. Preference for ability combinations is a question for the Combat forum but depends on how you like to play (whether you're doing PVE or PVP, how you like to take on your enemies, etc). Keep in mind in this game you can re-roll your skill points (for a fee) so as a newbie feel free to test a handful of skills out.
    Resfeber (n.): the restless race of the traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; a travel fever that can manifest as an illness.
    [Jan '14 Beta Tester]
  • mad0ni0n
    mad0ni0n
    ✭✭✭
    For 2. it should be mostly abilities with heavy attacks woven in to restore stamina. using many light attacks won't do as much damage.
  • ZOS_CoriJ
    ZOS_CoriJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may also want to check the "New Player Guide" pinned to this forum. It only covers basics (and is a little outdated) but does cover some good summary information such as the Justice System, etc.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

No longer available to take PMs or messages: Please defer to another Moderator
    Staff Post
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hrwd wrote: »

Combat in this game comes down to Skill Rotations, with Light or Heavy Attacks interspersed. So, it's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 dead. Pick your skill rotations so that one skill will set up or buff another skill. For example, use a skill that Snares, then a skill that gives Damage over Time to an area so the snared mobs spend longer in pain, then use a spam damage skill. This is just one example.

Once you learn a good rotation, then you can weave in light or heavy attacks between the skills to extend the resource pool you play from. So it's more like 1, LMB, 2, LMB,3, LMB, 4, LMB, 1 Dead. Then once you learn how to weave attacks, then you can start animation canceling to up your DPS.

So, attacks are not just a spam of the Left Mouse Button, but an application of your skills and weapon attacks.

You add in Blocking (reduce damage), Bashing (interrupting a caster or heavy attack wind up), Dodge Rolling (double click on a WASD key to avoid damage and get out of red quickly). Throw in some terrain advantage, and your basically a Mobile, Agile and Hostile wrecking machine.

As for Gear, well, while leveling, gear does not matter as long as you have something. It does not have to be best in slot, or even all that good. Also, we have lots of dropped set pieces so if you spend any time in a zone, you will more than likely pick up a set or two to wear. Each zone has a Magic, a Stamina and a Health or Tank set. Since everything scales, you can use this gear longer than you would think from the levels. It is only once you reach CP160 that you really want to worry about the gear, and by then you will have a good idea of what to use and where to farm for it.

Until then, the most important thing with gear is to wear a mix of it (light/medium/heavy) so they all level up somewhat equally. Also, have one skill from each of the 3 class skill lines on your bar at all times, and at least one weapon skill. For the 5th, it can be another weapon or attack skill or a support skill or some skill you want to level.

Edited by Nestor on November 21, 2016 11:21PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"