The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Unsupported Addon Rant

Jemcrystal
Jemcrystal
✭✭✭✭✭
I am disappointed in the lack of responsible modding for TESO. Sometimes you see a modder taking over an abandon project. That person needs the upmost respect and praise for keeping alive the addons we love. Not everyone at ESOUI is updating and there have been many game patches. I know it's not a TESO only problem. I have been in other games where brilliant people leave their droppings behind for others to clean up. My addon collection is taking such a butthurt that my favorite mod of all time is Suppress Error Message! Before you say it, yes I remove and redownload to keep them fresh.

I applaud those modders who originally created their addon and are still updating after all this time. You have my greatest respect.

But for the rest... :(

HQL5IcL.jpg

• Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking on this problem as I keep running into more and more not updated mods. A solution would be to have a addon clienter (like Nexus is for Skyrim) or like ESOUI start charging a fee for downloads. Offer a payment plan that you can either choose to pay 0.25¢ a mod or $1.00 a monthly subscription to download as many addons as you want. Then pay the modders 0.10¢ an addon downloaded. But the modders would be required to update their addons once a month or it gets removed.

• daedalusAI
    daedalusAI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In summary you are annoyed that a few addons aren't getting updated and the only thing you are capable of doing is ranting.

Does that help getting the addons fixed - or did you just need a place to vent your frustration?
    Edited by daedalusAI on November 17, 2016 1:23PM
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think its more they dont realize, the add-ons are not getting updated because the add-on's authors got tired of the game and moved on, or they got jobs working on projects and dont have time to code for other things. hey by the way camelot unchained is hopefully a year out from release, who wants to join in on a game that not gonna be about who hits who first with a animation canceled wrecking blow followed by 2nd ultimate for the win.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Write your own add-ones or contact the owner of one and obtain permission to update/maintain theirs or just shut it.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jemcrystal wrote: »
    I am disappointed in the lack of responsible modding for TESO. Sometimes you see a modder taking over an abandon project. That person needs the upmost respect and praise for keeping alive the addons we love. Not everyone at ESOUI is updating and there have been many game patches. I know it's not a TESO only problem. I have been in other games where brilliant people leave their droppings behind for others to clean up. My addon collection is taking such a butthurt that my favorite mod of all time is Suppress Error Message! Before you say it, yes I remove and redownload to keep them fresh.

I applaud those modders who originally created their addon and are still updating after all this time. You have my greatest respect.

But for the rest... :(

So in your opinion an add-on author has two options :
    a) create an add-on, share it with everyone (for free) and be committed to maintaining it "forever" ?
    b) not create any add-on at all, or not sharing it with the community.

Now let's look at the difference for add-on users like you and me :
    a) we get (FOR FREE) an add-on that's useful for as long as it works
    b) we never get to benefit from this add-on.

Which one do you choose ? I choose option a), and I'm thankful to all add-on authors. After all, they don't owe me anything and they could have kept their addons for themselves. They're free people and if they decide to stop maintaining their addons (usually simply because they stop playing), then I'm still thankful for the time the addon was available.

(That being said, @AlphaLemming where are you ? I missssss you !!!! :-) )

Note : Keep in mind that many add-on authors quit developing add-ons or maintaining their add-ons because of users feeling entitled and being utterly unthankful. There's only so much a nice person can sustain before stopping being nice.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on November 17, 2016 1:32PM
  • Philgo68
    Philgo68
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Pay the Addon dev a dime a download idea...
    Edited by Philgo68 on December 13, 2016 5:18PM