Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Pelinal's 9 trait gear - noob trap or extremely niche?

Doomslinger781
Doomslinger781
✭✭✭
The general consensus I'm hearing on this set is that it's a "noob trap" and "very niche and only good for pvp."

I like what the set offers because I enjoy hybrid builds and actually being quasi-effective with all my abilities - not just half (stamina or magicka). Still, it gets ruled out from being accepted as proper trial gear by the majority of players. Furthermore, most seem to think it's outclassed by almost any straight damage set (and forget comparing it to proc sets right now! =P )

Could we reduce the trait requirement since it's receiving so much hate? Never mind the top-tier requirements - most players don't want to wear it regardless. A rework might be ideal, such as mirrored crit values as well, but that certainly seems like much more effort from a development stand point. Not that I'm advocating less improvements, but perhaps if the devs believe this set really has something to offer, players will be much more likely to find that when they don't have to complete a years worth of research OR seek out and pay a crafter - especially when they could have a 'superior' 9 trait set like TBS.
Templar: Duncan Castlehoff (main)
Sorc: Sabine Lumoria
DK: Auderlant
NB: Yggmeena
Templar: Mukambei
DK: Stegmon
Sorc: Gruze Von Kruger
NB: Gnarl Ballin
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly not a bad idea ...

I have yet to read about a Pelinal build that was anything better than "mixed results" ... with the main issue being where one should slot champion points ...

That being said, a working hybrid build that incorporates Pelinal would be interesting to theorycraft and play ... maybe some time on a PTS template would do the trick ...
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelinal's Aptitude is an awesome set with incredible potential. It is honestly one of my favorite sets, though I refuse to even slot it on a hybrid setup since it is highly outclassed by simply wearing Heavy Armor sets like Black Rose.

However, Pelinal's Aptitude can become absolutely viable and perfect for hybrids. It can provide the framework for us to build truly viable Hybrids.

Current:
    Pelinal's Aptitude
    (2 items) Adds 1064 Max Health
    (3 items) Adds 129 Stamina Recovery
    (4 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    (5 items) Pelinal's Aptitude
    Your Weapon Damage and Spell Damage both become the highest of the two values.

Updated:
    Pelinal's Aptitude
    (2 items) Adds 1064 Max Health
    (3 items) Adds 129 Stamina Recovery
    (4 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    (5 items) Pelinal's Aptitude
    The following Champion Stars have bonded - Mighty & Elemental Expert, Precise Strikes & Elfborn, Piercing & Spell Erosion, Staff Expert & Bow Expert & Melee Weapons Expert. Bonded Stars will all scale to the highest value found amongst the Stars they are bonded to. Your Weapon Damage & Spell Damage, along with your Weapon Critical & Spell Critical, have also bonded.

@Wrobel Maybe? ;)
    Edited by Vaoh on November 2, 2016 1:03AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The updated Pelinal's Aptitude remains balanced because you cannot invest enough stats into your Maximum Stamina and Maximum Magicka for it to be great at PvE.

These changes would make it viable for PvP though and allow Hybrids to be a truly valid build alternative to pure Magicka/Stamina builds.

• acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelenial's is a very nice set that has some unique strengths.

The hardest part of perennials is to get a good result requires a lot of different things spell crit and weapon crit. CP distribution amongst different champion trees to get spell crit and weapon crit bonuses and we are still in era of stacking just one thing.

I think change is coming with the next update, I read somewhere they (the developers) ar looking at ways to make players put attribute points into things besides all magic or all stamina.

I wouldn't say soft caps are coming back.

But Pelenial's paired with toothrow or the magic version is very interesting concept.

It is a great tanking set and is actually a really nice medium set for a stamina DK pre vigor build to get some decent self heals.

A tank with ability to DPS dungeons.

There are a bunch of interesting things you can do its this set.
  • Code2501
    Code2501
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I see it to use it gives up a 5 piece that could otherwise contribute to either weap or spell dmg(or both like Clev alch). Given dropped sets all have jewelery now, your no better off than if you were to just wear two mixed sets and two mixed sets may even be a net better result (see clev alch)
    The only way it is a gain is from highly focussed non-gear buffs, and then it only applies to sp/wp ones which there arent many of in any case.
  • Doomslinger781
    Doomslinger781
    ✭✭✭
    So it seems the set has two major factors working against it; the division of champion points, and the division of resource pool size. I think if it only provided matched crit values along with its matched weapon/spell damage, it would be enough to compensate for a divided investment in resources.

@Vaoh Nice writeup, and a heck of a tooltip =P It's interesting and perhaps more reasonable to have the matching champion point crit value modifiers you suggest, rather than across-the-board crit value matching, as this might make for some very strong set combinations.

With a little bit of love, this set could allow players to actually use all of their abilities effectively, instead of just half. That said, it seems safe to say that even while incorporating some form of matched crit values, it still wouldn't reach near the damage numbers of pure min/max or proc builds, given the smaller resource pools and first 3 set bonuses.

And without any love? There is very little to suggest this set is justifiably worth 9 traits. I'd go a step further to say it's probably frustrating players by luring them in with the hope of being able to use all of their abilities competently, only to find they put big investment towards a set that performs below average on all fronts. And with other options enabling maximum performance in any one area, its simply going to be left behind regardless of cost.

My advocacy for reducing trait cost alone is simply to minimize overall disappointment, but ideally I'd love for Pelinal's to become a viable endgame set, allowing for balance, legitimate hybrids, and moderate performance with any combination of all our awesome skills.

Edited by Doomslinger781 on November 3, 2016 3:36PM
    Templar: Duncan Castlehoff (main)
    Sorc: Sabine Lumoria
    DK: Auderlant
    NB: Yggmeena
    Templar: Mukambei
    DK: Stegmon
    Sorc: Gruze Von Kruger
    NB: Gnarl Ballin
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would rather have 5 piece bonus that adds more stat regeneration:
    (5 items) Your Magicka Regeneration and Stamina Regeneration both become the highest of the two values.

or resistances:
    (5 items) Your Spell Resistance and Physical Resistance both become the highest of the two values.

Then it would actually be useful for tanking. Now it's pretty useless IMO.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Kensei_ESO
    Kensei_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the set sucks nuts, plain and simple. Another half-baked band-aid to alleviate the strain of poor overall development decisions on game systems.

What we need is more intelligent character stats/progression along with a streamlining of the CP system such that all characters are essentially magicka/stamina hybrids and can choose the skills to match their preferred flavor and playstyle rather than be pidgeon-holed at every turn. Unfortunately the changes needed are too numerous to list here and Wrobel doesn't care what anyone else thinks anyway so all this will probably fall on deaf ears.
    Edited by Kensei_ESO on November 3, 2016 3:39PM
  • DreadKnight
    DreadKnight
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using this set for a couple of months now and it's fabulous!

It's making me very competitive in PVP and with Skoria great in dungeons too.

It is very niche, you just need to understand how weapon damage stacks easier that magicka damage and use it to it's strengths.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pelinal's needs to equalize stamina/magicka as well as weapon/spell power, and it would be a pretty interesting set choice then. As it is, the set is okay with certain builds/configurations, but it's really hard to make it much more than just "okay".