The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dampen magicka vs harness magicka and how do they compare to Hardened?

oTheTownDrunk
So I'm wondering what the consensus is when it come dampen ward verses harness magicka. Also wondering if these 2 shields are as strong as hardened ward? I have not been running an Reston staff and just using hardened ward and dark conversion for my heals if need be, spammin hardenend when neeeded. When I read what dampened magicka ward does it sounds like it's stronger than harness so I'm wondering if I should use DMW and HMW instead of spamming just one shield.
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on bar space, resource management and how much burst shielding you really need. Using Harness/Dampen Magicka and Hardened Ward will give you a massive shield for a few seconds but it will cost a fair amount of magicka to do it. The light armor shield is more expensive to cast. Personally, I like running Empowered Ward for the reduced cost, regen and duration. In PvE that's all I ever need. In PVP, I'll slot Harness Magicka for the extra burst shield.
    Edited by dpencil on October 30, 2016 3:22PM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dampen magicka is only strong if you're wearing seven pieces of light. Hardened ward is better because that morph is a third stronger by design.

I'd say hardened ward for PVP, or empowered ward for PVE for the extra regeneration and duration. Personally I stack hardened and healing wards.
  • oTheTownDrunk
    Does it depend which ward you use first? Healing ward should be first in theory so that it heals you for the larger amount of the remaining shield correct?
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    Dampen magicka is only strong if you're wearing seven pieces of light. Hardened ward is better because that morph is a third stronger by design.

I'd say hardened ward for PVP, or empowered ward for PVE for the extra regeneration and duration. Personally I stack hardened and healing wards.

The regeneration is absolutely useless in PvE. Most people run with 900 recovery so 10% more is not a huge difference.

Also dampen magic with 5 pieces light armor is only 1k weaker than hardened ward.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harness Majicka doesn't protect against bursty physical stam based attacks, which are the current meta. Hardened ward does.

Sorc slots are scarce so I go with one shield that protects against stam and majicka, plus lightning form and power surge for crit heals, and blessing of restoration on my resto bar for quick heals.

Shields are so short that rotating through stacks of them won't leave much time to do much else.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it depend which ward you use first? Healing ward should be first in theory so that it heals you for the larger amount of the remaining shield correct?

The 1st shield you cast will continue to take damage until it breaks, so any wards you cast while your 1st ward is still active don't take damage until the 1st ward breaks. So healing ward should be the last ward you cast so that it's protected from taking damage for as long as possible, this way it will give you bigger heals. When running hardened and harness I cast harness before hardened to get the magicka return faster, but the order of this combo is less important.
    PC | EU
  • cellobuddy
    cellobuddy
    ✭✭✭
    Harness Majicka doesn't protect against bursty physical stam based attacks, which are the current meta. Hardened ward does.

That used to be true. Harness magic will now absorb any damage, not just magic based. They made that change relatively recently. It's still not as strong and costs more than hardened ward, but it'll protect against stamina based damage and will return magic if hit w/ magic based damage, so it's still useful in PvP.
    PC NA
    Capped CP
    Breton Magsorc - Cellobuddy
    Argonian Magplar - Cellobuddyheals
    Altmer Magblade - Cellobuddysteals
    Dunmer MagDK - Cellobuddyburns
    Orsimer Stamsorc - Cellobuddyruns
    Redguard Stamplar - Cellobuddyjabs
    Khajiit StamDK - Cellobuddyslices
    Bosmer Stamblade - Cellobuddysnipes
    Altmer Magplar - Cellobuddybeams
    Nord DK - Cellobuddytanks
    Breton Magden - Cellobuddylistens
    Orsimer Stamden - Cellobuddyprotects
    Argonian Tankden - Cellobuddypaintswithwind

Not the best by any means, but I get the job done.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, right, the webpage I doublechecked hasn't been updated.

elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Light+Armor+Skills
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG guyz...

First, in PvE, if you need a ward, take hardened ward or empowered ward, because it's a the biggest and the cheapest shield.

In PvP, only pet build with matriarch can use hardened ward alone.

All other build need Hardened ward, Harness/Dampen and Healing ward.

You can go with hardened + Healing ward, but it's not enough, procs will destroy your shield, then, this heavy armor guy will one or two shot you.

To choose between Harness and Dampen, you only need to know if you have enough magicka sustain when you duel any magicka build. If you have enough regen, go dampen, if you don't have, go harness.
    Edited by Aedaryl on November 1, 2016 11:08AM
  • oTheTownDrunk
    How much stronger of a shield is Dampen than Harness?
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much stronger of a shield is Dampen than Harness?

I believe it's something like 6% per piece of light armor
  • oTheTownDrunk
    Thats significant.
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    I can hold my own forrrrreeevvvveeeerrrrr with my wards and still dps. just hw for my shield when using my new fav setup- but first...

Pve, hardened ward all day. I make maelstrom leaderboards weekly and never use harness magicka or dampen magicka. Empowered ward is a bad idea because it is weaker, and the recovery is marginal compared to certain sets that synergize way better with hw. Actually hw is just better with anything. Slot barrier of you really want that recov, but again, other builds let you keep meteor and have tons of regen for infiniwarding with the best damage mit skill in the game (imp). It's cheap, u can animation cancel it, and it is strong as heck.

For sustained good Dps with regen do spider cultist rings and shoulder/head, the rest lich. Maelstrom fire and dw torugs to compensate for the lack of spell power from willpower. Enchant rings with sp, swords with spell power boost and squeeze in a whack before you do overload or go back to weaving when your rotation has you on dw bar. Now you can use (even spam with cancelling) hw all day for more defensive power, not worry about cost, and not need another ward since that much regen and the synergy between spider cultist and maelstrom staff make up for losing willpower and kena. Not to mention the power surge heals with woe and allow you to heal and dps with less frequent warding. (use boundless and liquid too for HoT). you can stay warded forever if u want, have tons of magicka AND MORE SLOTS FOR DPS SKILLS! U do pretty good dps with mad sustain. It ain't kena scathing Mage, but you will hit quite hard, but most importantly, sustaining your dps. In the end, this is usually more dps in a longer fight like in trials and stuff. Plus u don't wanna overload too much in trials, so having no regen and mad power, but having to ult to get 20% mana back equals less dps I feel. But this is derailed. Sorry.

Mathematically at MOST put 71 points into bastion, I run with 25 as do a lot of others since hw is just pretty tough as is.

Anyways end rant hmu if you wanna play and check out my build if you're on Xbox!

Edited by darthsithis on November 1, 2016 4:46PM
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hardened ward for me too. No harness magicka. In high lag situations there's simply not time to keep applying both, much less swap bars, and then actually get some damage skills in b4 a 6 second timer runs out. You won't be able to pressure anyone very much. If they ever fix the lag in Cyrodiil, then tactics will change. Also, healers in a group help a lot in large scale PvP and dungeons and trials.

If all you are doing is small 1v1 or XvY, where x and y are less than 5, then lag won't be as much of an issue (if you are lucky) and you may actually benefit from trying to keep 2 shields up.

If all you want to do is tank, then of course multiple shields are the way to go.
    Edited by Thrasher91604 on November 1, 2016 7:22PM