The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Epic Weapons in ESO?

Jaiden
Jaiden
✭✭✭
I know that we have Maelstrom/Master weapons. Maestrom being done by solo, and master being done by DSA. I was wondering if ZOS had any plans of introducing an "Epic Weapon" type to the game in the future. Most MMO's have a weapon that is the "must have" weapon for the classes with special abilities and visuals that is unique in it's appearance. Because of the playstyle of ESO, having an "Epic Weapon" for specific classes would kind of be tough to institute, so i'd suggest having one for each of the weapon skill lines, I.E. 1h, Shield, 2h, DW, Resto/destro, Bow.

As per the Epic Weapon's abilities, I thought that the enchantment on it could be something specific to it's weapon type line, such as reduce ulty cost, or buff abilities of this weapon type by "x" or something like that. Now the real nice kicker of the Epic weapon would be that it would complete the requirement of 1 set piece for any set you have on. So for example, If you had 4 hundings rage pieces on, 4 morag tong, 2 agility, and a 1x Monster helm, by equipping this weapon, it would fulfill all the set pieces you have missing, so you get in essence 5 hunding, 5 morag, 3 agi, and a 2x monster piece. It's a universal set piece so to say.

Now this weapon shouldn't be easy to get, in fact, it should be crazy tough to get. This should be a combination of a long quest line of solo and group content requiring the aquisition of rare quest pieces from some of the hardest content in the game. So let's say you have to do VMA, you have a 10% chance of recieving the rare item needed to advance the quest. Same with DSA for the master weapon. Or we could do it to where if you decon a master or maelstrom weapon, you have a 10% chance to recieve the rare item used in the construction of this weapon type. Add rare quest items to the hardest dungeons/mobs in the game. Spread this out over the world.

Throw in a couple epic open world bosses that spawn randomly on a weekly timer and are not easy to zerg down like the normal ones. Give these guys millions upon millions of hps and thier own scripts and mechanics, and it takes like a full 24 man raid of people to kill. Throw crafting into the mix. You have to construct your own weapon. You need all 9 traits in that specific weapon to construct it, along with all the rare quest pieces. Set up a special crafting station in like the capital cities for the factions. The weapon has it's own special and kickass looking motif, which is one of the rare quest items you need as well. This way you can pick and choose your weapon and traits. Double it's upgrade cost, so, 16 tempers or rosins to make it gold.

The quest can only be done one time per character, so you can do this on alts as well. The rare quest pieces are locked to the character though. So if you get 1 piece on an alt, it can't be transferred to another toon. The completed weapon though, may be stored in your bank and shared amongst your alts. This will allow you the opportunity to do this quest multiple times, if you can deal with that kind of stress. So you could have an epic weapon on both bars if it came down to it. or DW them.

Again, being an Epic Weapon, it should basically be the ultimate piece of gear to strive for, so make it hard, make it grindy, make it frustrating, but in the end when you finally do get it, you can show that bad boy off and be the envy of those around you.
Jaiden V16 nightblade

That's all I got, 1 toon.
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I personally like the concept of having an absolute best weapon, I don't think it fits within the concept of ESO, which is primarily built around build diversity.

Having an end and all weapon out there would make all other weapons meaningless upon the moment you acquire it.
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as currently there's Maelstrom (solo) and Master (4 player group) if another gets added I think it should be in a trial
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the idea of having an absolute bis weapon (it would render all other weapons useless), but I like the idea of having class specific weapons.
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the idea of having an absolute bis weapon (it would render all other weapons useless), but I like the idea of having class specific weapons.

I like the idea of class specific weapons aswell, but I'm worried they'd be so out of whack in terms of balance (just look at MSA dual wield vs. staves) that it would create serious class bias once again.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Class specific weapons? Wooden ladle for templars, they have jesus beam already.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you want to add more gear grind? Just to show off to others who will "envy" you? No thank you.

Also, if you're good enough to surmount all those challenges, you know you are good - no need for an overpowered weapon.
    Edited by Khenarthi on October 31, 2016 2:23PM
    PC-EU
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Class specific weapons? Wooden ladle for templars, they have jesus beam already.

Wooden Ladle of Epic Thrashing and Healing and Goodness.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    I think having an "epic" quest line can be fine, doing daedric quests for artifacts would be a BLAST if they were more like a "hero of wrothgar" achievement where you had to do a bunch of different things to finally get it.

However, a BIS weapon I'm not really a fan of. Admittedly the game boils down to numbers, so there is always a BIS item. I'd much rather it be a bit more open as to what that is then a simple clear choice.

Cool idea though OP!