The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Struggling with "Stonefire Machinations" :(

tallera257b14_ESO
I'm a fairly new player, I only started about a month before 1T dropped. I was lucky (??) enough to get my main character, a NB archer, all the way to Reaper's March (lvl 43) before 1T put a huge roadblock in my way: the fight against the Dark Mane and his minions in the "Stonefire Machinations" quest.

I've read on some forum posts from back when the game was new, this fight was insanely hard, but it seems that at some point, ZOS retuned it to be a bit more do-able. Now, it's possible that I'm just a terrible player, but I have not been able to find a way to do this fight AT ALL. I've been doing other quests in the zone, and finally hit 50 (yay!!!). I'm still pretty new to Champion (only C17 so far), but this hasn't helped at all, since the fight continues to level along with me. In fact, I think the fight is actually HARDER now that I'm Champion leveling. At least before, I could pretty easily kill the two minions, and the boss wasn't too terrible...it was just the resummoning of the adds partway through the fight that I couldn't handle. Now, the adds are able to kill me, which means I can't even get the Mane to spawn. :(

Since this seems to be an "unmarked" solo quest, no one seems to be able to join me to help, and I'm really frustrated that this is completely blocking my progress in my alliance quest line. I have all of the NB skills unlocked (although not all are morphed yet), and my gear is 3-star, so it's not bad. I would welcome any advice or suggestions!
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this seems to be an "unmarked" solo quest, no one seems to be able to join me to help
    That shouldn't be the case; while nobody can "drop in" to help like in the overworld, anyone who's in a group with you should be able to join in the fight. There may be issues in accessing the area though, as I can't remember if the Temple is quest-locked.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Alvardr
    Alvardr
    Soul Shriven
    I'm currently stuck on it as well. My friend who had already completed it could not join me due to the instance phasing.

Though I'm actually stuck on "destroy the anchor itself" portion, and being up against 3 named mobs is basically impossible to work through.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alvardr wrote: »
    I'm currently stuck on it as well. My friend who had already completed it could not join me due to the instance phasing.

Though I'm actually stuck on "destroy the anchor itself" portion, and being up against 3 named mobs is basically impossible to work through.
    Yeah I found that quite hard too recently. Somehow after numerous failures I managed to only pull one of them, and taking them on one at a time was much easier. Not sure if that's supposed to be possible though.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp