The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

LAG LAG LAG after Update

leowkwok
leowkwok
So a couple days before the big update came out, I was running around Cyrodil, numerous players from all sides duking it out on my screen, and I didn't have A SPECK of lag. Big update rolls around and everything changes. When multiple players appear on my screen and I try to attack? My sword freezes up in mid swing, and abilities can't be used. Either that or they are being used but I can't see anything because everything moves only every 3 seconds. Everything seems fine when I'm by myself though, the game runs pretty smooth when I'm doing quests on my own. No changes to my internet or laptop. Literally went from NO lag, to insane lag overnight. IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS??
  • ScarletThorn
    I was just getting lag and ping of over a second in Glenumbra.
  • Xeroxed
    Xeroxed
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm that when One Tamriel dropped, my lag went from infrequent to pretty much constant in PvE, and it magnified even more after Witches Festival started I believe. Haven't done PvP to know. Laggy even on instanced, small group activities like dungeons. It's bad enough to make me extremely wary of doing the dungeons/pledges that require trickier, precisely timed maneuvers on either DPS or healer because I'm afraid of the game freezing for seconds on end and getting myself or others constantly killed. I'll probably write up a more formal bug report on this because it is bad enough to severely hamper enjoyment of gameplay. : /

For reference in case ZOS or anyone else needs to figure out if this is like a specific Internet segment giving trouble and not just a general result of One Tamriel's popularity, I'm in Southern California. I'll give further info in my more detailed report directly to ZOS but maybe that's helpful for others in establishing a pattern.
    More of me on the 'Net: Julia Grammer
  • elvenmad
    elvenmad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag is definitely worse since patch Cyrodiil can be unbearable at times, constant freezing and insane load screens for no reason, also there's a memory leak if you port around too much , use wayshrines, enter leave delves or Dungeons too much you can get game crash to load screen, exit game, wait a minute or two then log back in its ok for a while, seen my ESO memory use slowly run up to 12 gigs at times.
    < PC - EU >
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was really bad two days ago and then got a little better yesterday . I have no idea what's going on or what changed .
  • leowkwok
    leowkwok
    Sigh. Even regular questing lags like crazy now!!! This whole One Tamriel update is really screwing with the game play. About to put in a formal request of my own, seeing as I'm not the only one affected.
  • Xeroxed
    Xeroxed
    ✭✭✭
    Well yesterday I found out that disabling a bunch of my addons mostly solved the problem - though obviously I have my addons for a reason! Maybe there's some new bug/memory leak in the addon system?
  • leowkwok
    leowkwok
    hmm... funny, cuz I don't have a single addon! lol
  • JR_Returns
    JR_Returns
    ✭✭✭
    Since One Tamriel I've had lots of Graphic problems and what appears to be lag i.e. character dying with a full health bar. The graphic problems seem to character/class based, so I get different effects on my Sorcerer to the ones I get on my Templar.
    The lag as far as I can tell is constant across all characters.

I have tried running with no addons but that didn't have any effect at all.

I have friends who don't have any of these problems playing the game, so I think that my problems are being caused by the game application running on my computer. The patch masked some of there problem but didn't fix them.

My guess is that there two problems at work here. A buggy client application supplied by the One Tamriel update and some server lag caused by the Witches Festival.

• leowkwok
    leowkwok
    Server lag seems to be a reasonable diagnosis. There have been moments where I've played late at night or early in the morning with minimal lag. Brief moments.
  • burabure
    burabure
    Soul Shriven
    same here, huge lag issues since one tamriel patch
  • Finneholt
    Finneholt
    Same. NA server, Xbox One. Frame rate, lag issues while in combat; and in non-combat while at cooking fires, guild traders etc. Dying with full health, lag in abilities executions, weapon rotations while in combat lag.
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭
    +1
    very much lag , exactly the same as you mid combat freezes against more than 2 mobs, when the area is crowded , when i use area attack and if it doesn't freeze my weapon swap reacts sometime's with a second interaction time

it's nearly unplayable
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is typical of every update we receive for ESO. Every major update uses more and more memory enchancing the memory leak. My water cooled CPU used to never have issues and stayed in silent mode. Since this last patch with so much more going on, seeing all factions and what not, it's almost constantly having to pump more water to keep the CPU cooled down.

Granted it's always under 60 degree's Celsius under full load, it's still surprising when your just standing still in Rawl and it kicks in.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • leowkwok
    leowkwok
    Oh water cooled CPU... you fancy bruhh.

PS - really curious if this lag will eventually be fixed. I haven't been playing long enough to experience what it was like after every major update. As of right now, this lag is really killing the game for me.
  • olivaresdonjuan
    Lag is so bad in pve and horrendous in pvp that I put eso away and I'm working on getting to 400 light in destiny instead lol
  • leowkwok
    leowkwok
    @olivaresdonjuan Oh they increased the cap to 400 recently? loll
  • gangrel206
    For the first time i had to change my graphics from Ultra (with Addons) to Medium (without Addons) to be able to play in Cyrodill... great job ZOS
  • Xeroxed
    Xeroxed
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's still temperamental every so often, but now most of the time it resembles something vaguely playable if by "vaguely playable" we mean maybe 15-25 FPS in crowded PvE zones instead of 2 or 1. :P I'm used to *** performance because I'm poor and have a lower end machine but it's as if that video card upgrade I did specifically for this game not terribly long ago NEVER HAPPENED, and then some. I'm upgrading my mobo and CPU around Black Friday so I'm thinking maybe, just MAYBE, I can squeeze out 30 FPS? :P

But yeah ZOS this is an issue that REALLY needs to be seriously addressed, because being pushed out of a game I already paid for and continue to pay for with an ESO Plus sub because I can't afford to upgrade my machine every 6 months is not in any way cool.
  • DrPain
    DrPain
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding of late that if another player is close to me my ping will be 999+ ms Yet if I'm alone the it's the normal 260 ms.

I've been checking and resetting my hardware and changing the ADSL splitter, all my speed tests and pings are normal. If I game on an Australian server then my ping is under 50 ms. My PC hardware is fine, got more than enough to play with without fps impacting things.

But I'm wondering if there's a fault somewhere. There's nothing showing up on alerts though.
  • Finneholt
    Finneholt
    Strictly related to performance issues I've encountered. This is informational only, as some of the BIGGER issues are happening less frequent (but still happening). I'm still encountering multiple smaller issues continually that disrupt overall enjoyment.

NA Server, Xbox One. Continued performance issues for me include:

1. While scrolling through guild trader items, bank items, or provisioning recipes the game freezes at certain points, effects last anywhere between 3-10 seconds...this includes the NPC animations that show on screen (when applicable) while scrolling (Guild Trader animations as an example). The freezing thaws afterwards, but this pattern continues depending on how long I remain in that screen. I noticed this freezing increase is worse at Belkarth.
    2. Panning back (zooming out) while on the map causes a stuttered, choppy, and delayed response.
    3. Fighting along side others at world boss locations causes a increase in frame-rate drops, slight pauses in gameplay enough to result in unnecessary and undeserved character deaths. I've noticed this can happen with anywhere from 1/2 health to, sometimes, full--not too often though--health (the deaths have been dependent on how bad the rate dropped). I've rode up to world bosses on my mount (while choppy), dismounted (while choppy), pulled out my weapons (while choppy) and died immediately due to frame-rate. I'd imagine when dealing with that kind of frame-rate, from someone else's perspective, it looks like I'm just standing in one spot when in fact I can't do anything during that delay. It's not just world bosses, I've had issues of the same kind in public dungeons, group dungeons, and delves. Just FYI.
    4. Entire game periodically crashes (freezes) which somehow makes my Xbox delayed in response to close out ESO. There is a sound that happens when the game crashes (freezes) kind of like a fast synthetic drum beat.
    5. While on my mount, as I cross a door threshold, or a bridge, the frame-rate drops. Not too major, just FYI.
    6. NPC's to trigger Craglorn world bosses seem delayed in spawning. I've waited for large amounts of time for the NPC before.
    7. Skill animations while in combat delay at times, which also contributes to the issues in #3 above; if I haven't already died due to delay. Weapon rotations on my NB, while in combat, still delay--but seems to be less frequent. Less issues on my Templar while weapon swapping, but the issues in #3 above happen on both characters.
    8. General, kind of major, frame-rate and choppy issues in major cities when there are lots of "One Tamriel" citizens around. This happens whether there is dueling going on or not.
  • Xeroxed
    Xeroxed
    ✭✭✭
    Finneholt wrote: »
    3. Fighting along side others at world boss locations causes a increase in frame-rate drops, slight pauses in gameplay enough to result in unnecessary and undeserved character deaths. I've noticed this can happen with anywhere from 1/2 health to, sometimes, full--not too often though--health (the deaths have been dependent on how bad the rate dropped). I've rode up to world bosses on my mount (while choppy), dismounted (while choppy), pulled out my weapons (while choppy) and died immediately due to frame-rate. I'd imagine when dealing with that kind of frame-rate, from someone else's perspective, it looks like I'm just standing in one spot when in fact I can't do anything during that delay. It's not just world bosses, I've had issues of the same kind in public dungeons, group dungeons, and delves. Just FYI.

Yeah, this is a pretty apt description of my issues too and I'm on NA PC, so it's obviously not platform dependent (not that I'd expect it to be given the nature of the problem). A lot of the other things you describe happen as well but obviously frame rate drops of that magnitude while fighting are the most problematic. It's made me wary of playing anything but my tank at times because a frame drop of a couple seconds long can be enough to kill my healer or DPS under the right (or wrong, hur) circumstances.

• DrPain
    DrPain
    ✭✭✭
    I powered everything down for a few minutes and did a DNS purge. This really helped me a lot. Still getting some spikes but I can live with it. This is something I'll have to do every few weeks now.