The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Sorc Gear Questions

Jodes44
Jodes44
Soul Shriven
Hi all! I'm having some trouble figuring out how to gear up my magicka sorcerer. I'm currently cp265. I have been searching the forums and online for suggestions for gear, but am finding a lot of conflicting information & advice, and a lot of information that I believe may be outdated now. As a result I have already wasted a lot of time, mats and gold making more than one piece that can go in several of my slots, but I don't know which ones to use or which to spend materials upgrading to yellow. Here's what I have already made/acquired to use in various combos so far:
  • 5pc Julianos (all armor divines, magicka enchants)
  • 5 pc Twice Born Star
  • Molag Kena shoulders
  • Ilambris Helm
  • Magnus Shoulders & Helm
  • Willpower jewelry (arcane, magic enchants)
  • Julianos Inferno Staff (sharpened, dmg enchant)
  • Julianos Lightning Staff (sharpened, dmg enchant)
  • 2 Magnus Swords (sharpened, 1 dmg/1 crusher enchant)
  • Magnus Inferno Staff (sharpened, charged)

I'm hoping you all can guide me which direction to go with all of this moving forward. I know a Maelstrom staff would be ideal, but I'm light years away from that atm... so I'm looking for a set-up that will work for me pre-maelstrom. If there is another set for armor or jewelry/weapons that I should make or try to farm (like Torug's, Aether or Moondance), I am more than willing to do that too.
Any advice is so appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Best Answers

• Minute_Waltz
    Minute_Waltz
    ✭✭✭
    To actually answer OP's question without going into all those bis setups etc, with what you have now, you should be using: Illam helm, kena shoulder, 5 Juli, 3 willpower, and front bar juli lightning, backbar juli fire as your starting point.

Work your way for an illam shoulder, make sure you have undaunted with your gear being 5-1-1. You are pretty much set at this point in terms of maximizing your gear in the short term, and you should aim for 20k single target dps unbuffed with that setup at least, so try and work on your rotation as thats the most important part.

You could try and farm 3 aether jewelries/aether fire/light sharpens, when you get some trial runs, but they won't be that much of a difference.

The next step would be getting a maelstrom fire staff when you feel comfortable with your setup and ability to pull some decent dps.

Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Animation Canceling is a little trickier on the Console than on the PC. But, basically you don't wait for the animation to complete before you fire off the next skill or melee attack.

I think the easiest way to see it in game until you figure out how is to hold down for a heavy attack. Now, how long you need to hold down to get the full attack is something you need to figure out, but it's like a One One Thousand, Two One Thousand kind of thing. You release the attack but immediately fire off another skill so you don't see the whole heavy attack sequence.

There are many ways to animation cancel using other attacks, block is another one, weapon swapping is another. But the idea is to not wait for the animation to finish, but to fire off the next skill as soon as you can.

Its not that I prefer Molag, OK, I kind of do as it's one piece and it gives a Spell Power Bonus and it looks cool with the Dwemer Motif. It's more what I have to work with not being a Group Dungeon or Trials or IC Gear Farmer. I have even begun to wrap my head around all the new sets that are out there now for the game, probably because I kill the mobs fast enough as it stands now.

Here is a basic video on the concept (note it is from near release so the numbers he is talking and showing are 1/10th what we have now. There are videos out there for specific consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0O9zjMDN4
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • X3ina
    X3ina
    ✭✭✭
    Jodes44 wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm having some trouble figuring out how to gear up my magicka sorcerer. I'm currently cp265. I have been searching the forums and online for suggestions for gear, but am finding a lot of conflicting information & advice, and a lot of information that I believe may be outdated now. As a result I have already wasted a lot of time, mats and gold making more than one piece that can go in several of my slots, but I don't know which ones to use or which to spend materials upgrading to yellow. Here's what I have already made/acquired to use in various combos so far:
    • 5pc Julianos (all armor divines, magicka enchants)
    • 5 pc Twice Born Star
    • Molag Kena shoulders
    • Ilambris Helm
    • Magnus Shoulders & Helm
    • Willpower jewelry (arcane, magic enchants)
    • Julianos Inferno Staff (sharpened, dmg enchant)
    • Julianos Lightning Staff (sharpened, dmg enchant)
    • 2 Magnus Swords (sharpened, 1 dmg/1 crusher enchant)
    • Magnus Inferno Staff (sharpened, charged)

I'm hoping you all can guide me which direction to go with all of this moving forward. I know a Maelstrom staff would be ideal, but I'm light years away from that atm... so I'm looking for a set-up that will work for me pre-maelstrom. If there is another set for armor or jewelry/weapons that I should make or try to farm (like Torug's, Aether or Moondance), I am more than willing to do that too.
    Any advice is so appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Sorc gear is really depend how much time u can afford to put in grinding it.

It is:
    2x Ilabris (head & shoulders)
    5x Scathing mage/Julianos/Twice born star/Mothers sorrow (rest body pieces)
    4x Infallible aether/Moondancer (jewelry and mainbar staff (lightning for aoe and fire for single target)
    1x vMA fire staff

Julianos and TBS is easy to get you just need the mats and a crafter if you can't craft it by yourself.
    Mothers sorrow will cost you about 50-70k (PC EU prices here).
    Scathing mage is a bigger grind, but now its not that hard to get. Group trading, normal mode and key fragments will help alot.
    Infall and moondancer are easy to get if you're doing endgame pve.
    vMA fire staff is another pain in the ... But it can be replaced with another fire staff like infallible or moondancer

Edit: gear - divines, jewelry - arcane, weapons - sharpened ofc.

Edit 2: It works for vMA but you'll get better results with 5julianos + 2Ilambris + 5elegance there.
    SW GoH > ESO
  • Jodes44
    Jodes44
    Soul Shriven
    X3ina wrote: »
    Sorc gear is really depend how much time u can afford to put in grinding it.

It is:
    2x Ilabris (head & shoulders)
    5x Scathing mage/Julianos/Twice born star/Mothers sorrow (rest body pieces)
    4x Infallible aether/Moondancer (jewelry and mainbar staff (lightning for aoe and fire for single target)
    1x vMA fire staff

Julianos and TBS is easy to get you just need the mats and a crafter if you can't craft it by yourself.
    Mothers sorrow will cost you about 50-70k (PC EU prices here).
    Scathing mage is a bigger grind, but now its not that hard to get. Group trading, normal mode and key fragments will help alot.
    Infall and moondancer are easy to get if you're doing endgame pve.
    vMA fire staff is another pain in the ... But it can be replaced with another fire staff like infallible or moondancer

Edit: gear - divines, jewelry - arcane, weapons - sharpened ofc.

Edit 2: It works for vMA but you'll get better results with 5julianos + 2Ilambris + 5elegance there.

So between the 4 armor sets you listed (scathing mage, julianos, tbs, mothers sorrow), is one better or are they pretty much equal? I already have both julianos and TBS, but neither is yellow yet. And for jewelry/weapons i had been leaning toward the infallible aether. Is moondancer just as good?
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey mate,

Run TBS in Maelstrom and Elegant it just super easy this way with overload - who cares about being a one trick pony if it means you can farm maelstrom over and over in 50 minutes do it :p That's what I do. lol.

In all seriousness, I've tried all sets.

What I ended up with was the following:

1 maelstrom flame staff sharpen
    5 scathing mage
    2 val skoria - I don't like the new set due to I like keeping on the go where the new set punishes you like lambris and infernal
    3 inflam rings/neck

This is truly a mother of a build gear wise, as stated above scathing is super easy to get now beauty is if you struggle for rings/neck you can swap out in gear while you get scathing ring/neck as you'll have better luck farming ICP in my honest opinion.

TBS was amazing 48k crits with overload and elegant but as mentioned it's a one trick pony, when you don't have ultimate I think I'd rather have the sustained damage with scathing or julianos heands down.

I'm flawless in maelstrom on a few chars now I truly have tested these sets over and over again.

A note: all my gear is still purple I only ever gold weapons ( I rather invest in more sets and trialing things ) then wasting golding things which I change my mind on ALL the time, being a PS4 player.

if I was a PC player I think I'd have a better idea.

Hope this information was informative.

Luke
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• Jodes44
    Jodes44
    Soul Shriven
    To actually answer OP's question without going into all those bis setups etc, with what you have now, you should be using: Illam helm, kena shoulder, 5 Juli, 3 willpower, and front bar juli lightning, backbar juli fire as your starting point.

Work your way for an illam shoulder, make sure you have undaunted with your gear being 5-1-1. You are pretty much set at this point in terms of maximizing your gear in the short term, and you should aim for 20k single target dps unbuffed with that setup at least, so try and work on your rotation as thats the most important part.

You could try and farm 3 aether jewelries/aether fire/light sharpens, when you get some trial runs, but they won't be that much of a difference.

The next step would be getting a maelstrom fire staff when you feel comfortable with your setup and ability to pull some decent dps.

This was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks so much!!!
    To tack on a secondary question, you mentioned rotation. Not sure if I should stick with my current skills or if there are better choices. I have been considering trying to get inner light back onto both bars.

Lightning Staff
    1. Bound Aegis
    2. Crystal Frags
    3. Velocious Curse
    4. Force Pulse
    5. Mages Wrath
    U. Shooting Star

Inferno Staff
    1. Bound Aegis
    2. Fire Ring
    3. Blockade of Fire
    4. Liquid Lightning
    5. Power Surge
    U. Fire Storm (Still working toward morph)

Right now I power surge, liquid lightning, blockade, fire ring, swap, vel. curse, force pulse, force pulse... crystal frag when proc, mages wrath at end... weaving in heavy/light as needed and refreshing dots as needed. Maybe my rotation is the problem, but I usually only get around 11-12k on bosses... 20-40k on groups. Not even close to the 20k single target.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jodes44 wrote: »
    weaving in heavy/light as needed and refreshing dots as needed. Maybe my rotation is the problem, but I usually only get around 11-12k on bosses... 20-40k on groups. Not even close to the 20k single target.

Hmmm, I do way better than this with 5 Piece Julianos, 3 Willpower, 2 Torugs and 1 Molag Kena. Well, not way better, but better without the rotations you do either. I have Inner Light Slotted, Power Surge, Bound Aegis or sometimes Boundless Storm, Pulsar and Crushing Shock as my usual rotations or skill used. I swap things out as I get bored, but usually come back to this.

So, I have to ask, are you Animation Canceling when Weaving? How are your Champ Points assigned out?

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jodes44
    Jodes44
    Soul Shriven
    Nestor wrote: »
    Hmmm, I do way better than this with 5 Piece Julianos, 3 Willpower, 2 Torugs and 1 Molag Kena. Well, not way better, but better without the rotations you do either. I have Inner Light Slotted, Power Surge, Bound Aegis or sometimes Boundless Storm, Pulsar and Crushing Shock as my usual rotations or skill used. I swap things out as I get bored, but usually come back to this.

So, I have to ask, are you Animation Canceling when Weaving? How are your Champ Points assigned out?

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't really know how to animation cancel. I pretty much soloed my way to cp160 and am still now figuring this all out.
    I'm at cp265 now and have them assigned as follows:

57 Magician
    30 Arcanist

50 Elemental Expert
    16 Elfborn
    16 Spell Erosion
    5 Thaumaturge

34 Hardy
    34 Elemental Defender
    20 Quick Recovery

(Do you prefer Tolug/Kena to Ilambris/??)