Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spriggan set vs Viper's Sting

Mintberry911
Mintberry911
Soul Shriven
Hi all, I was wondering if people could give me some good advice on which set would be better DPS for PvE mainly and maybe a little bit of PvP. I currently run 5 pc TBS and 5 pc Spriggan with 1 pc Kra'gh and 1 pc Kena (still trying to get the 2nd Kra'gh in the right trait) and I'm a Redguard Stam Sorc. My main question is whether I would get more overall dps switching from Spriggan to Viper's sting or if my current setup is more optimal. Any suggestions would be welcome.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends a lot on what the tank is doing. Ideally he should apply both major fracture from either puncture or morphs or noxious breath if he's DK, which takes 5K off the enemy armor and crushing which takes another 1K or so. You should be running sparpened weapons, which also take about 5K. Dungeon mob armor is ~18K so you would remove 10-11K off the bat. Kra'ag and Spriggan might be overkill for PvE and Red Mountain does better than Viper in PvE.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spriggan will outperform viper IMO, since viper have a CD of 4sec. And the extra dmg boost every 4 sec isn´t worth it.
  • Mintberry911
    Mintberry911
    Soul Shriven
    Asardes wrote: »
    Depends a lot on what the tank is doing. Ideally he should apply both major fracture from either puncture or morphs or noxious breath if he's DK, which takes 5K off the enemy armor and crushing which takes another 1K or so. You should be running sparpened weapons, which also take about 5K. Dungeon mob armor is ~18K so you would remove 10-11K off the bat. Kra'ag and Spriggan might be overkill for PvE and Red Mountain does better than Viper in PvE.

I don't do much trials so I mainly run small group stuff where a tank isn't always on the table. Currently I do have sharpened on one of my weapons (1h Spriggan axe) and I have precise on a 1h spriggan daggger. Also I'm curious why red mountain is better than Viper sting for stam. Doesn't the proc damage of viper scale with CP?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think proc set damage scales of your stats. It's only based on gear quality in most cases, unless specified explicitly in the tool tip. You can simply check that by equipping that gear on another char with different stat and CP allocation. If you have another vet alt with a different build you can check that out.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay, so ideally its neither of those...

I'm guessing you don't have vMA daggers and axes? If you do, then its obviously 5 TBS, 3 Vicious Ophidian and 2 Kra'gh (for single target) or 2 Velidreth (for AoE) and the vMA weapons. If you need more sustain (hard modes) use 5 VO instead of monster set.
    If you don't, then in that case, I suggest you run 5 TBS, 5 Vicious Ophidian and 2 Kra'gh/Velidreth.

If you can't use VO, then there is one thing to consider: When you say PvE do you mean dungeons or do you mean trials?
    If trials, run 5 TBS, 3 Agility, 2 Leki's and 2 Kra'gh/Velidreth.
    If dungeons run 5 Night Mother's Gaze, 5 Red Mountain and 2 Kra'gh/Velidreth because you only have 4 people to debuff the enemy and not 12, so penetration becomes important. As someone already said, Red Mountain outperforms Viper in PvE.

But really, in trials you need vMA dual wield and bow AND VO in order to pull good DPS and be comparable to magicka classes. If you already have a magicka class that you are good at that, gear him up first, start doing some vet trials for that Vicious Ophidian and farm vMA for some weapons. Magicka DPS is just miles better without vMA weapons, and even with vMA weapons magicka is still probably better.

EDIT: didn't see your reply just above. Red Mountain offers arguably better stats than Viper and it will proc roughly every 2.5-3 seconds (as opposed to 4 sec from melee attacks only) which is why it is preferred. You're proc'ing Red Mountain off cool down as you have a *** of DoTs ticking at all times, so the thing is going to fire off like crazy, which will in turn out DPS the CP advantage that Viper has.
    Edited by Izaki on October 26, 2016 3:58PM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VIPER vs RED M is quite controversial and so far no one is came up with straight DPS nos stating facts howmuch difference both the sets actually are.
    For your question of Spriggan, since you don't do much trials and usually run into four man content, no need to change it. Your DPS will be fine. How ever I'd recommend to change kena & kragh to 2 PC validreth.
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • Mintberry911
    Mintberry911
    Soul Shriven
    Okay, so ideally its neither of those...

I'm guessing you don't have vMA daggers and axes? If you do, then its obviously 5 TBS, 3 Vicious Ophidian and 2 Kra'gh (for single target) or 2 Velidreth (for AoE) and the vMA weapons. If you need more sustain (hard modes) use 5 VO instead of monster set.
    If you don't, then in that case, I suggest you run 5 TBS, 5 Vicious Ophidian and 2 Kra'gh/Velidreth.

If you can't use VO, then there is one thing to consider: When you say PvE do you mean dungeons or do you mean trials?
    If trials, run 5 TBS, 3 Agility, 2 Leki's and 2 Kra'gh/Velidreth.
    If dungeons run 5 Night Mother's Gaze, 5 Red Mountain and 2 Kra'gh/Velidreth because you only have 4 people to debuff the enemy and not 12, so penetration becomes important. As someone already said, Red Mountain outperforms Viper in PvE.

But really, in trials you need vMA dual wield and bow AND VO in order to pull good DPS and be comparable to magicka classes. If you already have a magicka class that you are good at that, gear him up first, start doing some vet trials for that Vicious Ophidian and farm vMA for some weapons. Magicka DPS is just miles better without vMA weapons, and even with vMA weapons magicka is still probably better.

EDIT: didn't see your reply just above. Red Mountain offers arguably better stats than Viper and it will proc roughly every 2.5-3 seconds (as opposed to 4 sec from melee attacks only) which is why it is preferred. You're proc'ing Red Mountain off cool down as you have a *** of DoTs ticking at all times, so the thing is going to fire off like crazy, which will in turn out DPS the CP advantage that Viper has.

I'll be honest I haven't legitly run a trial before and the reason for that is I've never felt comfortable answering calls in zone chat for dps recruitment because I am worried my lack of experience will be a turn off to the group. So as much as I would like to run VO instead of Spriggan or any other dps 5 set I can't atm. To make matters harder I don't have the vMA weapons due to sustain issues when I attempt it so I really do need VO.
    I'll most likely get over myself and try to find a group for Trials relatively soon but for now I need a good set for dungeons and maybe some dueling. From the sound of things people seem to be saying go with Red Mountain over Viper or Spriggan so I'll try and give that a shot. On a side note I do like my current setup that I originally stated and it works pretty well in a lot of duel situations since a lot of people don't wear impen like they should. I'm just looking for a farmable set that might make my dungeons and duels be more enjoyable and make my Stam sorc more effective.