Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Mages guild quest still level locked?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I recently finished the first mages guild quest (Long Lost Lore) on a new character. I've not done this for ages and I thought you picked up the 2nd one straight after finishing the first one, but I didn't get it and can't see any NPCs offering quests.

I had a look on the wiki and it does say you need to be level 15, but I would have thought that's not relevant with One Tamriel. I know the main quest has had it's level requirement scrapped but does anyone know if that applies to the other level-locked quests?
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"

Best Answer

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Tamriel didn't change how mages, fighters, dark brotherhood or thieves guild quests unlock, which is by leveling those skill lines. The mages skill line levels by picking up blue lore books. You need to progress to level five to progress the entire mage guild quest line.

(The reason you previously were able to just grab the next quest is because your skill line was already leveled high enough, so that shalidor stopped you immediately after completing a quest).

Dulfy has very good lore book guide maps online. You can see which books you've collected in journal...lore library...shalidors insights. You get a huge bonus for completing a collection, so if you have most of any of them go complete those first.

As a rule, the "area collections" (auridon lore, glenubra lore, etc) tend to be clustered in 1/3rd of those zones, so those are the fastest to grind and finish.
    Answer ✓
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine the quests progress according to your Mage's Guild skill line level now.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    One Tamriel didn't change how mages, fighters, dark brotherhood or thieves guild quests unlock, which is by leveling those skill lines. The mages skill line levels by picking up blue lore books. You need to progress to level five to progress the entire mage guild quest line.

(The reason you previously were able to just grab the next quest is because your skill line was already leveled high enough, so that shalidor stopped you immediately after completing a quest).

Dulfy has very good lore book guide maps online. You can see which books you've collected in journal...lore library...shalidors insights. You get a huge bonus for completing a collection, so if you have most of any of them go complete those first.

As a rule, the "area collections" (auridon lore, glenubra lore, etc) tend to be clustered in 1/3rd of those zones, so those are the fastest to grind and finish.

I'll add to this that with 1Tam they added the undaunted, fighter's guild and mages guild daily quests that will level the respective skill line.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, that must be it! Thank you.

I'd assumed it was the same as the main quest and it's skill line - the quests are level locked and progress the skill line but with the books adding extra progress. Somehow it hadn't occurred to me it could be the other way around.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"