The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mass research/inventory question

SolidusPrime
SolidusPrime
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys,

I recently came back from a lengthy break, and am trying to catch up on research traits for my crafting (woodworking and cloth).

I've run into this issue where I am having to hold on to 10-15 items at a time while I wait for previous projects to finish. In the mean time, I am still adventuring and getting loot, and some of this has traits on it I need to keep, and some doesn't. Combined with the fact that I have things laying around because I am saving them, and the deconstruction menu becomes a nightmare. To make sure I don't sell or decon anything I want to keep, I have to look at the research tab, make a little ryhme to remember which traits I want to keep, and go back to the list and decon everything that doesn't have those traits. Then I have to do it for the next piece, and so on and so forth.

Is there an easier way to do this, or a shortcut I am missing? I discovered the "lock" function, but seems it will only work from the inventory screen, so to effectively lock everything I want to research, I would have to go into the research menu, and write down the name of every valid piece and go between my pack and bank to lock them all. It seems like a big chore, but I am about to do it if there is not a simpler option.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your on the PC, there are quite a few Addons that help with Trait Research.

If your on the console, the Lock Function and a Spreadsheet listing all the traits with what you have checked off is about all you can do. In fact, I used a Spreadsheet on the PC for the first 6 months as keeping Addons updated back then was a royal pain.

Here are a few premade spreadsheets, not sure which ones are still active

https://www.google.com/#q=eso+crafting+traits+spreadsheet

Finally, I rolled a Mule character to store my unresearched items back before we had a Lock Function. Another thing is, you can buy traited items in the guild stores, so keeping them around is not really needed, unless it is a popular trait that someone might charge a bunch for.
    Edited by Nestor on October 19, 2016 5:31PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PC.

I've tried to avoid mods so far, but I think I'll finally have to break down and get one for this. It's just taking up way too much of my time.

Thanks for the help :smile:
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craft Store is a good all around mod for crafting, just make sure you get the Hotfix for it. Edit, it appears that someone took it over and updated it

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1376-CraftStoreFixedandImproved.html

If you just want Traits, then Research Grid is clean and small and easy to deal with

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info265-AIResearchGrid.html
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Aneca
    Aneca
    ✭✭
    I had a similar problem as the OP: I would find an item with a new trait while my main crafter was busy researching another. Quite a bit of my inventory/bank space went to holding this stuff.

I eventually got around this by giving the new item to one of my many alts to research. When the main crafter had the opportunity to learn a new trait, the alt would craft it. AI Research Grid was particularly useful for this in showing which alt knew which trait.

Might not be the ideal solution for all and I wouldn't research Nirn on an alt, but it worked for me.