Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Help/advice regarding champ points, armor bonuses, damage types?

Kamatsu
Kamatsu
✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I recently came back to the game and am leveling a new Templar, and so far enjoying One Tamriel and not finding it too hard.... but I only just got to Auridon so we'll see how long the 'honeymoon' last's! :) However, I'm reminded of some issue's/concerns/quandaries I had previously... and am hoping to get some advice on them.

A. What attack/damage type is Templar's Spear Jab skill? Is it a DOT or Magic?

I'm wondering purely because I happen to have 90 CP, and was planning on putting points into the +damage line for Spear. However I'm not sure whether to put it in the physical, magic, or DoT lines (ie "Mighty", "Elemental Expert", or "Thaumaturge")

B. - At what point do people stop investing Champion Points in a specific line/skill? (assuming they have the total points for it)
- Is there any place which shows/discusses any points at which stopping investing in a line becomes not worth it?

Like for instance, the lines "Magician" (reduces Magicka cost of spells) and Arcanist (increases Magicka recovery) - is there any point where it would be better to stop investing in either of them? And if so, I'm assuming it would depend a lot on your own current stats (ie put points into Arcanist if need more recovery over reducing cost's)? Or is there a hard-point where diminishing returns kicks in?

C - for leveling a Magicka Templar using Spears, Sun Fire & self heal... what would be recommended Champion Points to work on?

I was thinking -> Quick Recovery (+healing received), Mighty/EE/Thaum (+damage on spears & Sun Fire?, see question A), and Magician/Arcanist (see question B.) at a 30/30/30 spread... so 30 points into 1 skill on each constellation for 1-50 and then one 50+ and getting CP again just keep putting into them up to 100, maybe switching Magician/Arcanist around at need (so 50/50 or so on these 2).

D. Gear Sets for leveling, Seducer & ??

I do have access to up to 8-trait craft sets, due to my existing Breton Templar... which has learned all but the Nirnhorned traits for all weapons & armors. Currently just potting around with Seducer/DeathsWind due to knowing what DW did and wanting to boost HP while trying to re-learn how to play ESO. Now trying to consider better options.

5-Seducer (the 5-piece bonus seems to be the best, at least while leveling) / 3 Magnus' Gift (3, as currently using a sub-optimal S&B for looks, armor and skill leveling)? +magicka, +mag recovery
-> or Kagrenac's Hope, Eye's of Mara for apparently the same bonuses.

/ 3-Law of Julianos ? +spell critical, +magicka

Do crafted sets give the same bonuses as others if crafted at the same level? IE would Kagrenac's Hope's Magicka Recovery be the same @ white lvl 50 as Magnus' Gift, even though MG is a 3-trait set and KH is a 8-trait set?

Or would I be better off going for a 3-slot bonus going towards 'tanking' stuff such as +health, +spell/physical resistances?

Thank you in advance.
Edited by Kamatsu on October 22, 2016 4:45AM
o_O
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    This will guide your CP distribution: http://asayre.mygamesonline.org/CPOptimisation/CPOptimisation.html#
    If you are on PC, you can use a plugin like Combat Analytics to figure out your usual distribution of DOT and non-DOT damage. Jabs is both Magic and DOT damage because it is a channeled skill, so it benefits equally from Elemental Expert and Thaumaturge.

Magic Templar: http://deltiasgaming.com/eso-magic-templar-dps-build/#PvE
    Stamina Templar: http://deltiasgaming.com/eso-stamina-templar-dps-build/

Edit: Crafted sets have the same power of bonuses as dropped sets of the same quality. Best bet is high dps like Julianos. Mobs don't hurt you if they're dead.
    Edited by dpencil on October 22, 2016 6:59AM
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    That guide sounds just like what I'm after, but the site won't load for me :( Tried 3 different browser's, but it just times out... even though I'm able to access the hosting site's page.

Is Sun Fire (and both it's morph's) the same as Jabs? IE both a DoT & Magic damage? SF has both an upfront damage and a DoT after it hits... so this implies that it would also benefit from both Elemental Expert & Thaumaturge.

With the changes with One Tamriel, is the single-target morph for Sun Fire better than the multi-target one?

With my Breton Templar I went with the multi-target morph because I was generally coming across 2-3 groups of mobs in each area to fight... so could get a DoT on them and then do more damage to all with Jabs, so would take all mobs down at around the same time.

However OT has beefed up the mobs, so would I be better off going the longer DoT (and thus higher damage) and just cast SF more times on different individual mobs?
    o_O