Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Radeon RX 480 8 GB

ThePonzzz
ThePonzzz
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been playing ESO with a Radeon R9 290x Turbo Duo since September of 2014. Sometime around summer time in 2015, my GPU would crash any time I did heavy group content (trials) or someone tossed a meteor on a zerg inside a tower (Cyrodiil). I've noticed my performance on the card going downhill this last year, so I'm taking the plunge to get a new one. Anyone have any experience with the Radeon RX 480 with 8 GB for ESO? The 290x runs pretty hot with ESO. I use two monitors, which I realize increases the load on the GPU, but I'd have never thought ESO would be too much for the 290x. I really don't want to run into the same issue again a year later.
  • delclay23
    delclay23
    ✭✭
    Go r9 370x
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    ^ r9 370 best bang for the buck and will be good if you're on a budget
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • melek-taus
    melek-taus
    ✭✭✭
    The RX 480 (reference) runs this game flawless but it gets really hot. My RX 480 would sit at 80 degrees even with low settings. I can run ESO flawless on 4k but the card just gets darn hot.
    My RX 470 (MSI Twin Frozer Ed) does exactly the same as my previous RX 480 but does not get hotter then 60 degrees. I prefer the 470 due to price but the 480 8GB is a very nice card.

If you are going for a RX 480 just make sure you get it with a custom cooler with two fans like from XFX, MSI, Asus etc. Do not go for the reference design or with 1 fan on it.
    EU/PC
    Malek Taus - VR16 Khajit Stamina GankKnight -

Will gank for Skooma....
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    melek-taus wrote: »
    The RX 480 (reference) runs this game flawless but it gets really hot. My RX 480 would sit at 80 degrees even with low settings. I can run ESO flawless on 4k but the card just gets darn hot.
    My RX 470 (MSI Twin Frozer Ed) does exactly the same as my previous RX 480 but does not get hotter then 60 degrees. I prefer the 470 due to price but the 480 8GB is a very nice card.

If you are going for a RX 480 just make sure you get it with a custom cooler with two fans like from XFX, MSI, Asus etc. Do not go for the reference design or with 1 fan on it.

The 290x ran around 95 C on max load, which was any time someone fires a meteor in Cyrodiil in a congested space. It seems like AMD's specialty is running hot.

I have a liquid cooler for the CPU and 2 case fans. But this was exactly the sort of response I was looking for.

@melek-taus, are you playing on 4k when you're hitting 80 C? Do you play on just 1080 at all, and if so, what sort of temps after 30 minutes of ESOing?
  • melek-taus
    melek-taus
    ✭✭✭
    @ThePonzzz

It does not matter what resolution I am using the reference design of the RX 480 always becomes around 80 - 85 degrees. The card becomes this hot within 20 minutes of usage.

As stated this is the reference design of the RX 480 with single blower style fan. I think a version with two fans like from MSI, XFX or Asus will preform a lot better.
    EU/PC

Will gank for Skooma....
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ThePonzzz

It does not matter what resolution I am using the reference design of the RX 480 always becomes around 80 - 85 degrees. The card becomes this hot within 20 minutes of usage.

As stated this is the reference design of the RX 480 with single blower style fan. I think a version with two fans like from MSI, XFX or Asus will preform a lot better.

Thanks for clarifying. No issues with power consumption or loss of display though?
  • melek-taus
    melek-taus
    ✭✭✭
    @ThePonzzz

I use a Seasonic 520 watt power supply and no issues what so ever. The card works great, no display loss, finally no coil whine like I had on my R9 280.

The RX 480 is a great choice, but as stated and as you can see I am very serious you need to buy one with a good cooling solution with at least 2 fans.
    Edited by melek-taus on October 20, 2016 2:28PM
    EU/PC

Will gank for Skooma....
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ThePonzzz

I use a Seasonic 520 watt power supply and no issues what so ever. The card works great, no display loss, finally no coil whine like I had on my R9 280.

The RX 480 is a great choice, but as stated and as you can see I am very serious you need to buy one with a good cooling solution with at least 2 fans.

Yeah, I'd go with the XFX if I grabbed it. I appreciate the feedback!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the card I run this game on

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DXHEAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs cool, spanks the graphics and I am quite happy with it.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    This is the card I run this game on

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DXHEAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs cool, spanks the graphics and I am quite happy with it.

How is that on power consumption, @Nestor? I've read some bad things on the 390. Like I said, I have the 290x, and it's just ragged with ESO now. I worry with sticking with the R9 line. The power consumption on them is a lot higher.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a decent, but not super beefy PSU and I have no issues. If you have a quality 600 Watt or better, then your going to be fine unless you crossfire this thing.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/28.html

Here is the power supply I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETEFTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thing is, the more power the card uses, the more heat it is going to put out. I run the game at 1920 and I never even hear the fans crank up on this card, so that tells me that for normal gaming at 1920, the power draw is not all that much. Perhaps at 4K or higher res for multiple monitors, it would tax it more. The card never seems to go over 50 to 60 degree C, which is almost frigid for a GPU these days.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"