Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Sorc Magica Dps with Overload

Puxo1105
Puxo1105
I have looked around and etc after a overload magica sorc dps, love the concept about overload.
And I dont really care if its the best op spec ever, this is my alt and I want to have fun with it, but ofc be able to clear veteran dungeons etc

I have thinked about go 3p Willpower, 2p MonsterMask (Ilambris? Molag Kena? Nerien'eth?) and 5p Julianos.
Weapons, FireStaff for front bar and then 2H no-name weapon on backbar.

FireStaff:
Force Pulse - Spam
Crystal Fragment - Cast on Proc
Power Surge?
Bound Aegis and Inner Light for passive buffs
Elemental Rage?

2H:
Mages' Wrath - Execute (Power Surge here instead and then put Velocius Curse on FrontBar?)
Boundless Storm
Liquid Lightning
Bound Aegis and Inner Light

Overload:
Mages' Wrath + Boundless Storm + Liquid Lightning + Bound Aegis and Inner Light
Have execute only here and go into overload when around 30% and start spam execute and lightattacks

Now to my questions:
#1 Is there any good 5p set for dps before I have gatherd for Julianos? I was thinking Overwhelming? or maybe Scathing Mage?
#2 Do the passive from 2H work with Overload bar? Forceful and Heavy Weapons
#3 As power Surge duration is pretty long, maybe better to have it on backbar and have Velocius Curse on front bar to help on both single target and aoe.
#4 Elemental Rage as ulti? To help on heavy aoe parts? Not putting Meteor here cuase its mage guild 10 and I dont really feel like farming lore books for it^^

So I would go:
Power Surger -> Boundless Storm -> Liquid Lightning -> SWAP -> Cast Velocius Curse -> Spam Force Pulse -> Crystal Fragments on Proc
Reapply Curse once 4sec
Recast LL when needed
Recast Power Surge and Boundless Storm when BS runs out (just to make it easy with Power Surge uptime)
And when boss goes below 25-30%, switch bar, cast Power Surge and jump into Overload. Start spam Mages Wrath sametimes as LL is out (keep BS up too) I choose to start at 30% so Mages' Wraths "proc" after 4 sec is start to go out before boss is below 20%.

Tips and Ideas? :)
  • Azzazzello
    #1 Is there any good 5p set for dps before I have gatherd for Julianos? I was thinking Overwhelming? or maybe Scathing Mage?
    think about Twice Born Star set
    however I'm using Julianos because TBS requires 9 traits to be crafted

you may also have good advises in my topic -
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/296966/sorcerer-need-advise
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try and answer your 4 questions:

#1: Yes, but Julianos is a solid set which will get you through vet dungeons and vet Maelstrom - and you don't have to battle bad RNG to get the traits you want. Twice-Born Star is also an option, but Julianos might work out better for what you're planning on doing with the character. 5 Julianos, 3 Willpower, 1 Kena, and weapons and helm in Torug's Pact served me well for a long time. If you want to focus on Overload dps, the 'Queen's Elegance' set would probably be the best option in terms of dropped sets as it increases the damage of your light and heavy attacks (which includes Overload). Illambris, Grothdarr, or Kena would be the monster sets to consider; but Kena is hard to sustain in 2 piece and I think Illambris outperforms Grothdarr on a magicka sorcerer from what I've heard but I can't confirm this until RNG is nicer to me ;).

#2: Weapons passives don't effect Overload, but you will get more damage with them than with a staff. I'd recommend duel wielding instead of a 2 hander because you'll get an extra set piece bonus.

#3: Yes, I'd put surge on your back bar and curse on your front bar.

#4: I haven't tested that ulti yet, but I'd stick with Meteor because it gives you more max magicka through the Mages Guild passives (someone who's tested it might be able to confirm which is better?).

-

This build is no longer updated, but it's an Overload sorcerer one and might help you out with skills and things: tamrielfoundry.com/topic/2-1-8-the-yolo-wizard-magicka-sorcerer-insane-burst-dps-pve-build/. I used to do something quite similar to this one and it got me through most content with no problem (only thing I can't speak for is vet trials, which I haven't really attempted since they've been scaled).

I'm not the best sorcerer but I hope some of that was helpful in getting you getting started :).

Edit: Corrected my mistake.
    Edited by ListerJMC on October 17, 2016 12:17PM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    Azzazzello wrote: »
    think about Twice Born Star set
    however I'm using Julianos because TBS requires 9 traits to be crafted

you may also have good advises in my topic -
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/296966/sorcerer-need-advise

Ya i have seen the Twice Born Star too, but and I mean BUT, it have max hp, sta, mag.
    Instead of spell critical and magicka. So how big diffrent is it in dps to have Twice Born Star instead?
    And as you said, its req 9 traits -.-'
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    I'll try and answer your 4 questions:

#1: Yes, but Julianos is a solid set which will get you through vet dungeons and vet Maelstrom - and you don't have to battle bad RNG to get the traits you want. Twice-Born Star is also an option, but Julianos might work out better for what you're planning on doing with the character. 5 Julianos, 3 Willpower, 1 Kena, and weapons and helm in Torug's Pact served me well for a long time. If you want to focus on Overload dps, the 'Queen's Elegance' set would probably be the best option in terms of dropped sets as it increases the damage of your light and heavy attacks (which includes Overload). Illambris, Grothdarr, or Kena would be the monster sets to consider; but Kena is hard to sustain in 2 piece and I think Illambris outperforms Grothdarr on a magicka sorcerer from what I've heard but I can't confirm this until RNG is nicer to me ;).

#2: "Twin Blade and Blunt" does effect Overload, but I'd recommend using two swords instead of a 2 hander because you'll get an extra set piece bonus.

#3: Yes, I'd put surge on your back bar and curse on your front bar.

#4: I haven't tested that ulti yet, but I'd stick with Meteor because it gives you more max magicka through the Mages Guild passives (someone who's tested it might be able to confirm which is better?).

-

This build is no longer updated, but it's an Overload sorcerer one and might help you out with skills and things: tamrielfoundry.com/topic/2-1-8-the-yolo-wizard-magicka-sorcerer-insane-burst-dps-pve-build/. I used to do something quite similar to this one and it got me through most content with no problem (only thing I can't speak for is vet trials, which I haven't really attempted since they've been scaled).

I'm not the best sorcerer but I hope some of that was helpful in getting you getting started :).

I do know I get a extra set piece bonus from using DW, but for that part I do not care that much^^
    Both DW and 2H have 5% extra dmg passive. But 2h also have Forceful, combined with Overload must work?

I will prob not farm Mage Guild up so wont have Meteor^^

I also starting to wonder about switch out Inner Light on backbar? As I read now that if I have it on primary bar, go backbar, cast DoT etc, and then switch back, it use my current spell crit and not what I had when I casted?
    So I could have some there, Blood Alter to help with lifesteal for group? Nectrotic Orb maybe?
    And just keep inner light on overload bar and main bar?
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The damage passives from 2H and Dual Wield do NOT alter the damage of Overload. So Twin Blade and Blunt don't change anything when in Overload.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Azzazzello
    Puxo1105 wrote: »
    Ya i have seen the Twice Born Star too, but and I mean BUT, it have max hp, sta, mag.
    Instead of spell critical and magicka. So how big diffrent is it in dps to have Twice Born Star instead?
    And as you said, its req 9 traits -.-'
    I can say it gives pretty similar results as Julianos and sometimes more. BUT its good to use only with a very good group setup with proper buffs and debuffs so in my case I use it in Raids to get the most out of it.
    So in general Julianos is still better for group dungeons and vet maelstrom arena
    (c) Yolo
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The damage passives from 2H and Dual Wield do NOT alter the damage of Overload. So Twin Blade and Blunt don't change anything when in Overload.

Sorry yes ignore me Isaki is right, I meant to say the bonus spell damage carries over it's not the passive - the passive bonus was proven to be wrong. Edited my previous post.
    Edited by ListerJMC on October 17, 2016 12:36PM
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105

Sorry yes ignore me Isaki is right, I meant to say the bonus spell damage carries over it's not the passive - the passive bonus was proven to be wrong. Edited my previous post.

So in other word, only thing that can boost overload damage is DW and a 2set like torque? The passive is more or less useless?^^
    Then I guess I skip leveling 2H... Good thing I asked first
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So in other word, only thing that can boost overload damage is DW and a 2set like torque? The passive is more or less useless?^^

Well, it's not completely useless cause the DW passive still boosts the damage of your skills slotted on the DW bar. However the damage of the skills slotted on your Overload bar, including the damage of Overload attack itself (light/heavy), remains unchanged.

Here is what our beloved god @Asayre tested:
    Asayre wrote: »
    In the following tests on the PTS, I do Mages' Fury on a dual sword bar then change to Power Overload and then light attack once and do another Mages' Fury. In the first case, I have 0 points in Twin Blade and Blunt and in the second case I have 2 points in Twin Blade and Blunt. You see that the damage of Mages' Fury is increased by around 5% when I'm on the dual sword bar. But the damage is unchanged when going to Power Overload.

0 points in Twin Blade and Blunt
    2f0115c1c7b966958e880ede1aeff1bd.png

2 points in Twin Blade and Blunt. First Mages' Fury casted with dual sword bar is increased by 5% but damage of Power Overload light attack and Mages' Fury casted from Overload bar is unchanged.

294cc47be05e6f3116c28473cc4f2e74.png

• Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    Tyrion87 wrote: »

Well, it's not completely useless cause the DW passive still boosts the damage of your skills slotted on the DW bar. However the damage of the skills slotted on your Overload bar, including the damage of Overload attack itself (light/heavy), remains unchanged.

Here is what our beloved god @Asayre tested:
    Asayre wrote: »
    In the following tests on the PTS, I do Mages' Fury on a dual sword bar then change to Power Overload and then light attack once and do another Mages' Fury. In the first case, I have 0 points in Twin Blade and Blunt and in the second case I have 2 points in Twin Blade and Blunt. You see that the damage of Mages' Fury is increased by around 5% when I'm on the dual sword bar. But the damage is unchanged when going to Power Overload.

0 points in Twin Blade and Blunt
    2f0115c1c7b966958e880ede1aeff1bd.png

2 points in Twin Blade and Blunt. First Mages' Fury casted with dual sword bar is increased by 5% but damage of Power Overload light attack and Mages' Fury casted from Overload bar is unchanged.

294cc47be05e6f3116c28473cc4f2e74.png

Thanks for the info, but if Im not getting it wrong now.
    If I have, say Velocious Curse, on my DW bar, and cast it, and then switch too my main bar (staff). And after that the curse explode. Will it still deal deal 5% extra dmg from passive? Or will it deal the dmg I have right NOW
    Same for magelight on backbar?

Else thanks for help :)
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently replaced Julianos with Treasure Hunter (drops in Volenfell) for my magsorc. The 5 pc bonus has less weapon damage, but gives Major Sorcery permanently, thus freeing a slot on both your skillbars.

You also lose the 4% Max Magicka that Inner Light gives directly and through the passive, so it's up to a test which works best for you. You could e.g. replace it with Bound Aegis, which gives +5% Max Magicka and also Minor Resolve and Minor Ward (and 10% Health and Stamina Regen through the passive). Alternatively you can put a pet on there.
    Edited by Loc2262 on October 17, 2016 3:11PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    So Im running now:

Front Bar (flame staff)(single target)
    Force Pulse
    Velocious Curse
    Crystal Fragment
    Bound Aegis
    Inner Light
    Energy Overload (access to execute)

Back Bar (lightning staff)(buff/aoe)
    Boundless Storm
    Power Surge
    Liquid Lightning
    Bound Aegis
    Pulsar (put it here for more aoe, and if im not wrong now, on single target I still get full benefit from inner light with LL and BS)
    Elemental Rage (for those heavy aoe parts)

Overload Bar:
    Mages' Wrath
    Power Surge
    Liquid Lightning
    Bound Aegis
    Inner Light

Would it be more "aoe dps" if I just skip pulsar, put down LL and BS and then spam Curse/Pulse/Fragment in aoe fights too?
    And have a more of utility instead of pulsar?^^
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Im running now:

Force Pulse
    Velocious Curse
    Crystal Fragment
    Bound Aegis
    Inner Light

Boundless Storm
    Power Surge
    Liquid Lightning
    Bound Aegis
    Pulsar (put it here for more aoe, and if im not wrong now, on single target I still get full benefit from inner light with LL and BS)

Overload Bar:
    Mages' Wrath
    Power Surge
    Liquid Lightning
    Bound Aegis
    Inner Light

Would it be more "aoe dps" if I just skip pulsar, put down LL and BS and then spam Curse/Pulse/Fragment in aoe fights too?

I'm actually not 100% sure on that one. I often have my execute on my back bar, so the inner light bonuses are useful for me to have on both bars as I stay on my back bar when the enemy is under 20%. I think elemental blockade would be better than boundless storm in aoe, looks like you're running destro/destro here? I'd replace boundless storm with elemental blockade personally, I find I don't get close enough to enemies in single target fights for boundless storm to be very useful and blockade is great in both aoe and single target situations. However, I do know sorcs who run with boundless storm and make it work for them; I think you'll have to see what works for you.
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    So Im running now:

Force Pulse
    Velocious Curse
    Crystal Fragment
    Bound Aegis
    Inner Light

Boundless Storm
    Power Surge
    Liquid Lightning
    Bound Aegis

Overload Bar:
    Mages' Wrath
    Power Surge
    Liquid Lightning
    Bound Aegis
    Inner Light

I'm actually not 100% sure on that one. I often have my execute on my back bar, so the inner light bonuses are useful for me to have on both bars as I stay on my back bar when the enemy is under 20%. I think elemental blockade would be better than boundless storm in aoe, looks like you're running destro/destro here? I'd replace boundless storm with elemental blockade personally, I find I don't get close enough to enemies in single target fights for boundless storm to be very useful and blockade is great in both aoe and single target situations. However, I do know sorcs who run with boundless storm and make it work for them; I think you'll have to see what works for you.

I tried it out yesterday (only in normal) but most trash is pretty melee friendly, so I went boundless storm -> LL -> elemental blockade, and then just stayed and channeled lightning heavy attacks.
    So "hard" too know dps when you are on console and dont have dps meter so you just ahve to guess :P