Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Does anyone know why loading screens in ESO take forever to load?

Pegaferno
Pegaferno
I find loading screens so annoying that I want to bash my head against a wall. Seriously I go through a long loading screen to get the mournhold, then when I get to the stairs another one, then when I'm close to the undaunted pledge area another one, I've wasted 10 minutes just trying to get to the pledges. If anyone knows why this is please tell me
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Loading screens don't take ages to load, they are instant.. Its the shizzle going on in the background that takes ages leaving the loading screen up for ages. Bad title is bad.

Things that can slow stuff down include:-

1. Crap internet speed
    2. Crap Hard Drive/not maintined
    3. Low GFX card memory
    4. Low system memory
    5. Lots of other people loading zone resources at the same time
    6. Crap servers

1 -4 is highly likey in most cases, some say plenty of 6 involved.

I'm talking about PC obviously..
    Edited by Wolfhammer on October 4, 2016 2:44PM
    Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    2. Buy a SSD or HDD and set the default folder of ESO to that drive: use 2 different drives for operating system and games. Helps a lot. Saves a few minutes each time the loading screen appears. (for me)
  • Pegaferno
    Pegaferno
    Alrighty thanks for the answers guys, time to upgrade my pc then
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfhammer wrote: »
    Loading screens don't take ages to load, they are instant.. Its the shizzle going on in the background that takes ages leaving the loading screen up for ages. Bad title is bad.

Things that can slow stuff down include:-

1. Crap internet speed
    2. Crap Hard Drive/not maintined
    3. Low GFX card memory
    4. Low system memory
    5. Lots of other people loading zone resources at the same time
    6. Crap servers

1 -4 is highly likey in most cases, some say plenty of 6 involved.

I'm talking about PC obviously..

This is specifically a gaming rig with email and a browser on it.

5693854532.png

Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 with Win7/64 and A/V.
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO with games and Minion.
    Toshiba 1T for other stuff like the email and Waterfox browser.

AMD Radeon R9 390

16 GB ram

And I still get long load screens and lag.
    I especially hate killing stuff and seeing the badguy stand there for 6 to 10 seconds with a sliver of health before he agrees to lay down and die so I can loot him and move on.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • OnyxProphet
    OnyxProphet
    ✭✭✭
    Is this recent? I had these issues post patch and deleting the shader cache and adjusting the user settings file cleared up everything.
  • gel214thb14_ESO
    gel214thb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Is this recent? I had these issues post patch and deleting the shader cache and adjusting the user settings file cleared up everything.

How did you delete the shader cache, and clear up files??
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The hamsters are outsourced.
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on a 3mbps connection and my loading screens are around 10 seconds on Xbox except for rare occasions.

When you are looking around at your set up, you could also see how your network is configured. It seems most people set ports to the device IP. But there is another way you can do it so you can guarantee that the device will always have those settings. It might be useful since there is no guarantee your router will assign that IP to the device every time. Instead create a device name in your connected devices page (give your computer a name or use the one you gave your computer already). Then when you do ports, assign it to the device name instead of IP. This way it connects to the MAC address of the device every time.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion