Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Too keep the set, or not to keep, that is the question!

Wolfhammer
Wolfhammer
✭✭✭
Ok so my nooby lvl 19 Stam Sorc (bow + dual) during adventuring around Stonefalls last night bagged the full 5 set of the Red Mountain gear.

Like the boosts and the 10% heat dam proc as well.

So now I've got this set I'm really loathe to swap any out as its my first set ever. So the question goes, with the scaling as it is now, can I just wear this set until way down the line past lvl 50 into CP territory, or am I gimping myself by doing so.

Do I need to keep this for 10 or so levels then get another good set for Stam Sorc thats higher level?

Thanks in advance..
Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep till you outlevel it, pass it on to one of your low level ones or simply break it down for inspiration. The new sets are the main reason for which I will be keeping my lowbie chars far from alliance zones till they hit 50 - I want those to drop at maximum level when they drop so I can use/sell them.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know the feeling. Someone made me a set of lvl 20 seducer training gear and I was still using it at lvl 50. For me, the fact that someone could be bothered to go out of their way, make me it and just email it to me for free was game changing for me.

Im trying to do the same for other newbies now i can craft semi decent gear

I think for the non grinders, your first set of good gear is always one you'll remember
    Edited by Suter1972 on October 13, 2016 11:11AM
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Keep till you outlevel it, pass it on to one of your low level ones or simply break it down for inspiration. The new sets are the main reason for which I will be keeping my lowbie chars far from alliance zones till they hit 50 - I want those to drop at maximum level when they drop so I can use/sell them.

That's my point, when can I consider it outlevelled now we have global scaling? Can it even be considered out-levelled anymore at any point up to CP 160?

(I dont even know about CP yet as I have never had a character high enough...)
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gear doesn't scale the same as your stats, so you will outlevel it eventually. Your raw stats will decrease as you level up, because the game actually expects you to change gear that provides better stats as you level. Probably the best way to keep up is still crafting gear as you level. From my experience the best levels to craft for are levels 14/24/34/44 because it's the maximum level in the material tier. Provided that you deconstruct all the trash that mobs drop you will have plenty of materials even if you don't bother with resource nodes. Crafting is much more reliable than trying to mix and match dropped pieces from of different levels. I usually craft 5 x Seducer's Armor and 3 x Torug's Pact for my magicka characters, with heavy chest, medium legs or feet and the other 5 pieces light destruction/restoration staff. For stamina it's 5 x Hunding's Rage + 4/3 Night Mother's Gaze heavy chest, light waist, rest medium, 2W/Bow. All blue with training trait. I didn't bother with dropped gear while leveling. In fact my veteran level chars are still wearing their level 44 training gear when doing overland content and still do pretty well. Enemies scaled to CP160 still melt like butter because they are so easy. Even did public dungeons in Cadwell's Gold with that gear and only some bread for extra HP and soloed them without dying. From what I've seen they haven't boosted the difficulty in those. The only thing they did are world bosses which are hard to solo even in gold CP160 gear.
    Edited by Asardes on October 13, 2016 12:10PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    For stamina it's 6 x Hunding's Rage + 4/3 Night Mother's Gaze heavy chest, light waist, rest medium
    SNIP*

As a noob I only partially understand what your saying on this part unfortunately.

Which parts would be Hunding's and which Night Mothers, or doesn't it matter?

Baring in mind I'm a noob and quite poss don't have enough traits researched to make this stuff let alone the blue quality mats... May be a good while before I can make 1 full set of armour and weaps for 1 character between my 4 characters.

Something to aim for then :)

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw you had 3 stars and I assumed you are an experienced player. My bad. Also 6 is a typo. I meant 5, since sets only grant bonus for the 5th trait. I have corrected that.

Hunding's Rage and Night Mother's Gaze are both 6 trait craftable sets. If you are a new player you can ask one of your guildies who has researched sufficient traits to craft them for you. They are a good combo for most stamina builds. You can see a list of all craftable sets here: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafted+Sets

I usually craft the 5 piece set: feet, legs, chest, waist, hands and the 3/4 piece shoulders, head, weapon(s). I don't know if it's the best way but it's easier to keep track of what you are actually wearing. Green and blue tempers are easy to get your hands on. Green ones are available for ~10 gold a piece and the blue ones for ~50 gold a piece from guild stores on my server (EU-PC). And you only need 2 and 3 respectively to improve a piece of gear with 100% success rate, if you have the tempering passives. That's why I suggested a guildie that already has crafting leveled, and those passives specced on one his chars. I have all on my main.
    Edited by Asardes on October 13, 2016 12:20PM

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    I saw you had 3 stars and I assumed you are an experienced player. My bad. Also 6 is a typo. I meant 5, since sets only grant bonus for the 5th trait. I have corrected that.

Hunding's Rage and Night Mother's Gaze are both 6 trait craftable sets. If you are a new player you can ask one of your guildies who has researched sufficient traits to craft them for you. They are a good combo for most stamina builds. You can see a list of all craftable sets here: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafted+Sets

I usually craft the 5 piece set: feet, legs, chest, waist, hands and the 3/4 piece shoulders, head, weapon(s). I don't know if it's the best way but it's easier to keep track of what you are actually wearing. Green and blue tempers are easy to get your hands on. Green ones are available for ~10 gold a piece and the blue ones for ~50 gold a piece from guild stores on my server (EU-PC). And you only need 2 and 3 respectively to improve a piece of gear with 100% success rate, if you have the tempering passives. That's why I suggested a guildie that already has crafting leveled, and those passives specced on one his chars. I have all on my main.

Great answer, thanks... I'm a returning player by the way... Been away for about 18+ months so subbed again a few weeks ago..

Although I won't be able to wear this 6 trait gear will I? I'm only lvl 19 as I stated in the OP...
    Edited by Wolfhammer on October 13, 2016 12:27PM
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wolfhammer wrote: »

Great answer, thanks... I'm a returning player by the way... Been away for about 18+ months so subbed again a few weeks ago..

Although I won't be able to wear this 6 trait gear will I? I'm only lvl 19 as I stated in the OP...

As long as the gear is level 19 or lower, you'll be able to wear it. There aren't any restrictions on how many traits you can "wear."
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can wear 9 trait gear at level 4, straight out of the Wailing Prison if you find a crafter willing to craft level 4 Twice Born Star or Morkuldin (see linked list). The only restriction is the level of the gear. For example you won't be able to wear CP160 rubedo leather armor at level 19, but you can wear any level 1-19 leather armor.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhhhhhhhh thanks peeps.... For some reason I thought number of traits was linked to level/tier

Right that clears it up in my mind, thanks all..

Just need to get some mats together and pester a guildy...