Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why do people buy columbines for?

akl77
akl77
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm just wondering, what do you use columbines for? For writs? For regen potions?
I mean other regents do equally good potions, why columbine always most expensive?
Pc na

Best Answers

• Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tripots (health, mag, stam) used both in pve and pvp endgame
    Answer ✓
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use columbine in my tri pots
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
    Answer ✓
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, immovable tri-pots. :P

But to answer the question, there are a few potions where columbine can not be replaced with a different plant. That's why they are so valuable.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on October 7, 2016 1:10PM
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »

But why not just buy the 200g tri pots instead of columbines? It'll save you money...

It has been a long time since I shopped for potions, but the big issue is, Whether is a Health, Health and Stamina or Health, Magic and Stamina potion, they all say "Potion of Health" in the listing. So, it's difficult to figure exactly what kind of potion you are getting. I thought the Tool Tip would better describe the potion, but maybe it does not.

So, I think people just like to make their own potions as they know exactly what they are making.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People buying it would most likely be making potions for their own use. I only make potions for personal use and you can use a lot when you run several characters through trials and dungeons The issue is that you are not getting any ingredients back when doing this because the plants are found outside, so you either stop everything to farm or buy the ingredients.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Answer ✓
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one likes to crush up columbine and snort them. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. The rush is good.

Dosent help that columbine is also used for every damn useful potion in the game. Anything and everything to do with health needs columbine.
    Edited by Vangy on October 10, 2016 7:48AM
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
    Answer ✓
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But why not just buy the 200g tri pots instead of columbines? It'll save you money...
    As you can use the same ingredients to make the potion for any level simply by using the appropriate level water, it may be so people can make pots for their lower level characters. I suspect that most pots for sale are CP150, which you cannot use while leveling up.

I have multiple characters I am on every day and they nearly all use the tri-pots either as a primary potion (tanks) or secondary potion (DPS/healer). Columbine is always the ingredient I have fewest of but it has been a long time since I had less than 200 of them, while I nearly always have more than 300 of the other two ingredients for some reason.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Answer ✓
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you make immovable tri-pots?

I use:

Columbine + Dragonthorn + Wormwood for a Stam + Crit + Immovable potion (useful on my stam sorc since I have good self heals)

Columbine + Mountain Flower + Wormwood/Namira's Rot for Stam + Health + Immovable (useful for tanking on a stam tank)
    Answer ✓
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming 1 factor to why columbine has become so popular is the cyrodil immovable pots being BROKEN FOR MONTHS NOW.

I do love selling them for 1k a piece though. I've sold hundreds so far.
    Answer ✓
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tri pot only sells 200g per pot, whereas spell or damage power pot sells for 350g per pot.
    Yet the regents for power pot are so cheap compared to tri pot regents, ie columbine. So I just don't understand.
    Pc na
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've even stopped selling tri pots, cos 200g per pot is worse than if I sell the columbine by itself.
    Also, 200g tri pot doesn't even sell well, have to lower price further.
    Pc na
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, def agree with u @akl77 the cost of the reagent itself is crazy... they used to not be so expensive, but the reason for it i guess would be that it can be used for almost anything.... its a foundation piece to many potions so many people are using it
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tri pot only sells 200g per pot, whereas spell or damage power pot sells for 350g per pot.
    Yet the regents for power pot are so cheap compared to tri pot regents, ie columbine. So I just don't understand.

Master alchemist passives produce 4 potions per craft.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭

200x4=800g profit per craft.
    Yet the columbine itself sells for 900g.
    Pc na
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭

200x4=800g profit per craft.
    Yet the columbine itself sells for 900g.

Hence people are not buying columbines to make potions to sell, cos it's a deficit.
    They must be what you guys have suggested, to craft it for their own use.
    Pc na
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On EU PC
    Columbine: 500g
    Bugloss: 150g
    Mountain Flower: 180g
    Lorkhan's Tears: 60g

That's almost 900g

Provided that you have all passives and make 4 potions out of one set of ingredients, unless you end up selling the tri-pots for at least 250g you don't break even (guild fees included)

Tri-pots sell for ~180-200 according to MM

So the OP is right - selling the ingredients is more profitable than selling the finished product.

I don't know what's the situation on the others servers.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    On EU PC

That's almost 900g

Provided that you have all passives and make 4 potions out of one set of ingredients, unless you end up selling the tri-pots for at least 250g you don't break even (guild fees included)

So the OP is right - selling the ingredients is more profitable than selling the finished product.

It's about the same on NA. 500-600g for columbine and I post bugloss and mountain flower for ~175g. Tri-pots sell well, but it's easier and more profitable to sell reagents. Other things like Namira's Rot go for ~350g and even wormwood sells for at least 150g since crafting bags dropped.
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wormwood is actually cheap, under 100g. I use it to train alchemy on my alts, together with spider egg - they make an useless potion/poison of slow or something like that. It's the cheapest combo by far.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Check the effects, too. Iirc, Columbine has no negative effects. It can fit into a lot of combinations without "ruining" the effect you might be looking for.
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It goes good with a mélange of skooma
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭

Bugloss
    Columbine
    Namira;s rot

this is for magicka immovable , tri pot with immovable can't
    you can make one health and stam immovable as well but not tri AND immovable
    Edited by DPG76 on October 9, 2016 11:51PM
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also an Ozorga recipe (max health and stamina regen) called Triple Trifle Pocket that requires Columbine.

=S
  • Caza99
    Caza99
    ✭✭✭✭
    Columbine is expensive because it is used in so many 'high demand' recipes. Tripots, Immovable pots, the Triple Trifle Pocket food recipe, etc
    PC NA - @MercerESO
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a alchemy survey last night and picked up 32 columbine from 1 survey from 2 nodes of 16....Only recieved about 20 more from the next 3 surveys though.

• bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    On EU PC

That's almost 900g

On PS4 NA I have been getting 1030 per Columbine and 980 per Namira's Rot, I have heard some sell it cheaper but until I stop getting sales I will keep the price the same.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured