Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Make sneaking, stealing and assassination more challenging!

ChaosWotan
ChaosWotan
✭✭✭✭✭
Not much fun and very unrealistic when one can assassinate someone unnoticed while another NPC is standing 10 meters away, looking right at you in the middle of the day. NPCs, especially guards, should have a larger awareness zone. And guards should respond more quickly when civilians cry for help.

My NB plays without any stealth enhancments, because I can pretty much walk by anything, like a walk in the park, if I use invisibility and passive sneak skills. That's boring...
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    simply, no!
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You like boring? :)
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosWotan wrote: »
    Not much fun and very unrealistic when one can assassinate someone unnoticed while another NPC is standing 10 meters away, looking right at you in the middle of the day. NPCs, especially guards, should have a larger awareness zone. And guards should respond more quickly when civilians cry for help.

My NB plays without any stealth enhancments, because I can pretty much walk by anything, like a walk in the park, if I use invisibility and passive sneak skills. That's boring...

Role an Orc Templar wearing Heavy Armour, I'm sure all the stomping and clank of armour will make it harder ;)
    PC/EU DC
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have thought about it. However, the point of being a Nighblade is to have fun sneaking, but in this game many things, like sneaking, get more boring and unchallenging the more one progress.

The game mechanics are wrong when one has to downgrade weapons and skills in order get a challenge.
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have thought about it. However, the point of being a Nighblade is to have fun sneaking, but in this game many things, like sneaking, get more boring and unchallenging the more one progress.

The game mechanics are wrong when one has to downgrade weapons and skills in order get a challenge.

I see your point. I find it so easy now with stealing and using Blade of Woe. But I do TG Heists and Black Sacraments to give me the thrill! Or maybe I'm just bad at them LOL I am also using an Imperial Templar Tank, so not the best choice to complete them :D
    PC/EU DC
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is now catering to casual (console-skilled) players, so guess the devs create challenges a 7 year old will find interesting, even though the game is rated 18.
  • Stardark
    Stardark
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is now catering to casual (console-skilled) players, so guess the devs create challenges a 7 year old will find interesting, even though the game is rated 18.
    You mean catering to the mass audience? The kind that pays the bills?

MMO's single player experiences are not for challenge, plenty of stealth games out there for that. You can't expect an MMO to have in depth versions of everything.

For what it is worth, difficulty in stealth games = waiting for the right moment = bored out of my skull. ESO gets it right for me, although the heists are a p.i.t.a so I don't bother with those.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am happy with the current difficulty and do not need the game to impose more challenges to thieving and related activities. You can always remove your medium armour... or use a non-stealthy class... or a non-stealthy race... and non-stealthy armour sets.

It's an activity that should be available for all characters, not just fine-tuned ones that will breeze through sneaking.
    Edited by Khenarthi on October 8, 2016 8:06AM
    PC-EU
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thief and assassin DLCs should have in-depth sneak challenges, including climbing skills.

There are plenty of fighting games out there, does that mean that it's okay for MMOs to have bad combat mechanics?

Before the summer of 2015, ESO was a game for enthusiasts, with insane people probably taking speed in order to game 36 hours in one stretch, and become emperor. People got up 6 in the morning to fight epic battles, the best since BF 1942 revolutionized online gaming. And the discussion forum here was busy as hell, now it's more like dead in comparison.

Yeah, and now you casual players are free to claim that we were no-lifers and all that, and that's okay, because we had a great time, back in the very old days, a year ago, or so.

Now I play with no sneak skills equipped, no cp, level 20 weapons, and a lv 1 t-shirt. But I'm shocked by the indifference of the guard in Wayrest who, in the middle of the day, walked right toward me, perhaps 5-10 meters away, without reacting when I took down an innocent orc. But it felt so realistic... I bet he was blinded by the sun, not seeing the blood spill.

The sacrament challenges are good though, with my currently crippled colonel.

And the game in general is great, tnx to the devs and the bill-paying awful masses ... Out there.
  • Lolssi
    Lolssi
    ✭✭✭
    I just thought I was that good :(

But to make it harder I think they would need to rework the whole npc behaviour. Haven't killed that many targets yet but basically they walk between two places and often those can be rather open.
    They would need to add those day and night cycles like in other ES games where npc sleep go to work and market. That way you could pick right time to strike.