The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Broken Soul Gems

hightowermusic
My soul gems wont recharge my weapons or revive me. Yes, the appropriate lvl gem is in my inventory. Then I took every lvl soul gem out of my bank and only the grand soul gems will work for me...I am a lvl 20. I restarted the game by completely shutting the game off, restarting my pc and restarting the game. The soul gems are still broken. This is very frustrating :(
  • Cody_svk
    Cody_svk
    ✭✭
    It is not bug...they changed it -> since low level players are scaled to max level in all areas now (not only dungeons and Cyrodiil like before), they decided that there is no need for other soul gems than Grand Soul Gems...It was written somewhere in the patch notes that lower level soul gems will lose their unique power and become only regular stuff to sell to vendor...
    Edited by Cody_svk on October 6, 2016 1:12PM
  • hightowermusic
    Cody_svk wrote: »
    It is not bug...they changed it -> since low level players are scaled to max level in all areas now (not only dungeons and Cyrodiil like before), they decided that there is no need for other soul gems than Grand Soul Gems...It was written somewhere in the patch notes that lower level soul gems will lose their unique power and become only regular stuff to sell to vendor...
    seriously???
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the mention was there even from patch 2.6.0 on PTS. I vendored my low level gems right away to save space.
    [*]Soul gem usage has been simplified.
    • Players of all levels will receive and fill Grand Soul Gems, which can be used to revive players of any level, as well as to refill enchantments.
    • Non-grand Soul Gems no longer fill these roles, and may be sold to vendors.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Could you suggest to the item guys that it may be a good idea to rename the defunct soul gems to "Cracked <X> Soul Gem", or something, and update the tooltip to say they are defunct? This may help players better understand what's happened, like how you did "Old" Provisioning items in Update 6. Thanks!

Edited by Enodoc on October 6, 2016 4:19PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Could you suggest to the item guys that it may be a good idea to rename the defunct soul gems to "Cracked <X> Soul Gem", or something, and update the tooltip to say they are defunct? This may help players better understand what's happened, like how you did "Old" Provisioning items in Update 6. Thanks!

I think it would have been more reasonable to update the lower, filled gems to the new level. I have several that are mostly useless now.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not really a big deal abut soul gems, unless under level 50 and no supply of Grand Soul gens. I'm glad for the change, since I have a ton of soul gems of all levels. I can get some bank space back. It's not like soul gems are hard to get.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lower level soul gems should of been upgraded, not just turned to vender trash. It is a small headache that could of been avoided.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shadoza wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I think it would have been more reasonable to update the lower, filled gems to the new level. I have several that are mostly useless now.
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    The lower level soul gems should of been upgraded, not just turned to vender trash. It is a small headache that could of been avoided.
    Changing one item into another item is considerably more difficult though, I would imagine. They somehow managed it with the Undaunted keys, but they are functionally much more similar to each other than soul gems.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »

they did do that partway at lest for new gems going forward...if u find a lower gem in-world, like a lesser, you hover on it, and it says lesser...but then you pick it up, and you get a grand...i thought that was kinda cool...doesn't help with the stuff already in inventory tho