The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Out of date addon question

ryuk52109
ryuk52109
Hello, I was wondering, why would the Skyshards addon still be "in date" but lorebooks and Destinations be out of date? Shouldn't Skyshards be OOD as well, or did the creator already update it somehow? Also, what's the side effects of using out-of-date addons? Thanks
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know addons show as out of date until the author updates them (even if it's just changing the info on which version of the game it says it's for and nothing in the actual addons code needs changing. But I'm not entirely sure.

As for using out of date addons it really depends on what the addon does and what was changed in the update.

Some of mine which do very basic things (like Binder which lets you save and load full sets of keybindings with chat commands) and can go months without being updated without problems. One (Unified Chat Tabs) stopped working completely and just needed a very small edit to the code to work perfectly again. Others may be completely non-functional or cause weird bugs if they're not updated.

My approach (bearing in mind I only use 13 addons) is to enable all out of date addons and wait to see if I get any problems. If I do (and the error message doesn't say which one it is) I disable them all and enable them one at a time to see which one is having problems. Then keep it off until it's working again.

I also check Minion daily after the game is updated to see if there's any updates to addons.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • calia1120
    calia1120
    ✭✭✭
    @Danikat if you use pchat, you can disable Unified Chat Tabs. Pchat gives the same functionality with tabs across characters. Unified Chat Tabs has been doing some funky things and I noticed it's causing chat history not to save correctly in other addons.
    GM, Iron Bank of Bravos | The Psijic Order | Mara's Tester/Mara's Moxie | Dominion Imperial Guard
    Council of Nirn | elderscrollsalliance.com | Addon Dev - part of the Wykkyd code team
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the addon still works fine but is marked as out of date then its simply a matter of the API version in the text file in the addon folder.

I've taken up maintaining the Mr Plow addon. (I'm still sorting out crafting bag integration so if any of you use Mr Plow know that I am trying to add it.)

In the addon folder is a text document MrPlow.txt, all addons should have a similar document with their name, in that document is a line that reads: ## APIVersion: 100017 or in the case of outdated addons a lower number like
    ## APIVersion: 100013 for example.

100017 is the current Tamriel One update API version so when I updated the addon for Tamriel One I changed the line:
    ## APIVersion: 100015 to ## APIVersion: 100017

Saved and tested. Once I was sure it was working fine I uploaded the updated addon to ESOUI. Mr Plow no longer shows as Out of Date because of the update to the API version.

http://wiki.esoui.com/APIVersion

Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on October 6, 2016 7:53PM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.