Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

are writs still worth doing?

imenace
imenace
✭✭✭
title. took a long break and im broke so i want to make some money, searched the forums a bit and found that some people are saying writs arent worth doing anymore, is that true? if so why
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There may be better ways to make gold if that is your goal. Returns on having only 1 or 2 characters doing writs wouldn't be that great right now. I think writs delivered to Craglorn are best as you can get nirncrux when collecting the survey maps on top of the gold improvement items you can get from the drop offs.

With the daily XP bonus and completion rewards you get from doing random dungeons, they are a good way to get some gold and items to sell or break down to sell the components. If you did daily undaunted pledges combined with random dungeons, you could be on your way.

Otherwise people still say farming is the best way to collect things to sell but I never done it.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Consumable writs seem good. Getting lotsa kuta.alchemy at any level gives useful mats.

Not sure right now abt the equip ones at top.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes doing writs is a good strategy, excellent way of building up free gold mats, nirn, etc, and a bit of gold/xp, providing you have sufficient mats.

I do writs on 7 chars, and net around 100K + a week, just from writs and a healthy amount of gold mats etc too, plus its good for ranking up training bars if required too.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter: esoui.com/downloads/info1346-DolgubonsLazyWritCrafter.html

It does the crafting for writs very, very quickly. It is a major time-saver, reliable, tells you how many materials are required and how many you have on hand, and flexible enough to recognize when you haven't completed a writ and want to continue.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As said already, if you have mats and no cash - writs are a good way to pad the pocketbook and perhaps get some extra gold tempers, rosins, or dreauh wax (worth a boon of gold if sold)

Poor in this game is a total state of mind. If you suck it up and harvest everything / refine everything / do writs / sell everything that you don't need and you can't help but make money.
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been keeping stats on writs since 24 Aug 16, so here are the numbers so you can make up your own mind.

Smith, Clothing, Woodworking and Enchanting Writs;

Writs: 202
    Gold Mats: 60 (30% chance)
    Surveys: 70 (35% chance)

You can compare the returns from Hirelings (all 3/3)
    Smith, Clothing, Woodworking and Enchanting Hirelings;

Gold Mats: 11 (2% chance)

Also refining raw mats
    Ore, Cloth, Leather and Wood Refining;

Raw Material Refined: 9040 (or 904 refines of 10 raw material)
    Gold Mats: 34 (4% chance or 1 gold mat for every 250 raw material refined)

Edited by Synfaer on September 14, 2016 4:00AM
  • Essiaga
    Essiaga
    ✭✭✭✭
    I quit writs because i ran out of mats constantly and wasn't seeing enough return.

It's busy work. I'm tired of busy work. I've got to grind content before BOP comes.
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I've been tracking the average performance of writs on a Google Spreadsheet as I basically had the same question of whether it was worth my time or not. Short story is, yes they are worth doing in the long term.
    • Doing all 6 writs on one character yields an average of 11.5k gold per day.
    • This is the average return so some days you'll lose gold and some days you'll make much more.
    • Smithing writs are a material loss. You do writs to make some money and turn materials into tempers and other high value items.
    • If you organize doing multiple writs at a time (pre-make items, collect surveys and do them all on one character) then you basically get the benefits of the surveys plus the benefits of harvesting for that time. In other words, it only takes a little bit of extra time to do writs + surveys in addition to your normal harvesting.
    • Currently level 9 writs (Craglorn) are a little more profitable due to the chance of getting Nirncrux (as much as 14.5k average per day). However, this will chance in update 12, One Tamriel, as surveys you get will be all over the world and not localized to one zone so I would expect level 10 writs to be the best after the update.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • RocDonald
    RocDonald
    ✭✭✭
    So I've been tracking the average performance of writs on a Google Spreadsheet as I basically had the same question of whether it was worth my time or not. Short story is, yes they are worth doing in the long term.
    • This is the average return so some days you'll lose gold and some days you'll make much more.
    • Smithing writs are a material loss. You do writs to make some money and turn materials into tempers and other high value items.
    • If you organize doing multiple writs at a time (pre-make items, collect surveys and do them all on one character) then you basically get the benefits of the surveys plus the benefits of harvesting for that time. In other words, it only takes a little bit of extra time to do writs + surveys in addition to your normal harvesting.
    • Currently level 9 writs (Craglorn) are a little more profitable due to the chance of getting Nirncrux (as much as 14.5k average per day). However, this will chance in update 12, One Tamriel, as surveys you get will be all over the world and not localized to one zone so I would expect level 10 writs to be the best after the update.
    WTF, on ps4 doing all max level writs only yields 4k gold per day. Unless of course you sell all of your items, then maybe. But still worth doing imho. Kinda depends on what you prefer doing when your playing. I myself mostly just do the solo quests in Wrothgar when I get the chance to play and while doing so I farm everything (thank you craft bag ) so that gives me a lot of free mats to work with.

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to get glass motifs....however have not yet had a single fragment (PC NA) ..... :(
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    I want to get glass motifs....however have not yet had a single fragment (PC NA) ..... :(

I've found Its about a 20% drop rate from Wrothgar writs (36 glass motif pages from 190 writs - Smith/Cloth/Wood)
    PC-NA

• Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RocDonald wrote: »
    WTF, on ps4 doing all max level writs only yields 4k gold per day. Unless of course you sell all of your items, then maybe. But still worth doing imho. Kinda depends on what you prefer doing when your playing. I myself mostly just do the solo quests in Wrothgar when I get the chance to play and while doing so I farm everything (thank you craft bag ) so that gives me a lot of free mats to work with.

Yes...when I say 11.5k gold that is the average value of all items you get assuming you sold them at market value (either vendor or guild trader depending on the item), minus of course the market value of whatever materials you used to for writ items themselves.

I should also mention that I used market values of items from the PC-NA server. Different servers have different market values which would change (possibly by a lot) the net profitability of the writs.
    Edited by Reorx_Holybeard on September 15, 2016 1:34AM
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • pcar944
    pcar944
    ✭✭✭✭
    its really only worth doing Alchemy/Provisioning/Enchant because you always make your mats back + chance for gold mat

others you are better off farming Ore and getting gold mats by refining
    One Tamriel killed PVP

DC Magicka Orc Necromancer climbing those ranks ...
  • Geralt_of_Aalst
    pcar944 wrote: »
    its really only worth doing Alchemy/Provisioning/Enchant because you always make your mats back + chance for gold mat

Indeed, there's always a chance to get gold tempers from refining any level mats. But I wonder if there's also a chance to get gold tempers from writs of any level? I've been doing clothier writs on my bank alts for a few days, so writs that require the lowest mats like jute and rawhide, which are pretty cheap (1k per stack of 200), and haven't gotten any gold tempers. It could be bad luck, of course, but I do get one on my leveled chars (char level 50, craft/writ level 32 or 50) about 25% of the time.

So, is it just bad luck or is there something (char level, craft level, craft skill level, ...) that makes a difference?
    Edited by Geralt_of_Aalst on September 18, 2016 6:40PM
    I may contradict myself but at least I don't contradict myself
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pcar944 wrote: »

The rate of return on gold mats is very good for writs at about 30% (76 gold mats from 257 writs).
    Sure you can farm raw materials and refine all day, but who wants to do that? Based on about 12k of refined raw material the return rate for gold mats is about 4% or 1 gold mat every 250 raw material refined.
    Hirelings are even worse, I have received 15 gold mats from 540 hireling deliveries (2% return).

If you gather all the materials from the surveys and gather a bit extra whilst on a survey run, the only craft that has an significant overall loss of material is blacksmithing and that is mainly due to the writ for 2xdaggers/2xshoulders/1xhelm (which i now refuse to complete).

All these numbers are from top tier crafters/refiners 10/10 level & 50/50 skill and hirelings 3/3. Raw Mats are all Ruby.

Edited by Synfaer on September 19, 2016 4:43AM
  • Swainburg
    Swainburg
    ✭✭
    imenace wrote: »
    title. took a long break and im broke so i want to make some money, searched the forums a bit and found that some people are saying writs arent worth doing anymore, is that true? if so why

High chance for tempering alloys, rosin, etc. Very very valuable. Also, farming locations. Very valuable as well.
    Live for the pact... die for the pact.

Stam DK Tank (PvE)
    Stam DK DPS (PvP & PvE)
    Stam Sorc DPS (PvP & PvE)
    Magika Sorc DPS (PvP)

PS4 NA EP
  • Whiphid
    Whiphid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to necro this thread (is it dead if it is a week old?)... anyways;

I have seen several topics here discussing the value of writs these days. I've stopped doing the equipment writs in the period when the surveys were bugged with Void cr*p, and am hesistant to pick them up again.

Do the surveys drop enough to make up for the mats you put into the high level writs? Or how much farming would one need to recuperate the losses per week per toon?

I know some people like to see things in a way that it "makes money" because you get tempers that are worth more than the mats you loose, but I'm not selling tempers. The 30% chance to get a temper is much better than the low rate from refining tho, so it seems to be good to pick up writs again.
    One land! One Emperor! Who among you will stand with me?

PS4/EU - Breton Sorcerer / Breton Healplar / Khajiit Stamblade / Khajiit Stamplar / Altmer SorcTank
    Grand Master Crafter and Guild Master of the Aetherium Alliance.
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whiphid wrote: »
    Sorry to necro this thread (is it dead if it is a week old?)... anyways;

I have seen several topics here discussing the value of writs these days. I've stopped doing the equipment writs in the period when the surveys were bugged with Void cr*p, and am hesistant to pick them up again.

Do the surveys drop enough to make up for the mats you put into the high level writs? Or how much farming would one need to recuperate the losses per week per toon?

I know some people like to see things in a way that it "makes money" because you get tempers that are worth more than the mats you loose, but I'm not selling tempers. The 30% chance to get a temper is much better than the low rate from refining tho, so it seems to be good to pick up writs again.

I do them on 8 toons. For consumable writs, do them. They cost next to nothing and are a quick ez source of income especially for enchanting. They give kutas.

For equipment writs, its more of a complex matter. Take blacksmithing (the worst of the lot due to the writ that requires 2 daggers which costs so much mats....). Each toon of mine spends about an average of 40-50 ingots per writ. I get maybe 1-3 surveys from this and about 1-2 tempers from this. So I lose about 200 ingots a day (after minusing the ore i get back from writs) + 2 tempers and spend about 40 mins in all for all my writs. Not the best way to make money but it still is a steady income. You would need to buy mats to keep up with the cost tho. Cos you will always use more ingots than you get back. Gold-wise its still a marginal profit and if you have the extra time, writs are semi-decent way of a steady gold income. About 100k-200k a week depending on ur RNG with about 40 mins spent each day. Not the best way to make money.. but certainly not the worst either.

I personally think the cost of the mats should be dropped a little and the rewards from the surveys upped a tad little to make writs more appealing.
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont bother, havent had a gold mat in about a month after doing cloth and smithing daily
  • Moltyr
    Moltyr
    ✭✭✭
    If you are someone who has MULTIPLE accounts and 30 toons or something, then yes writs are worth it.

If you have one toon, or even a few who craft...then no.